Skip to main content
F.A.Q.

Power Move Plus - Frequently Asked Questions

• 25 October 2023
  • 64 replies
Power Move Plus - Frequently Asked Questions

Want to know more about Power Move Plus?

Take part in Power Move Plus events and earn even more rewards for shifting electricity to greener times of the day. 

What is Power Move Plus?

This winter, OVO is offering customers even more chances to save. We’re taking part in the Electricity Systems Operator (ESO)’s Demand Flexibility Service to help customers reduce their bills this winter and reduce demand on the grid at peak times.

How does Power Move Plus work?

Power Move Plus is a series of events where you can earn credit towards your energy bill by moving your electricity usage out of times when there is the highest demand on the UK’s electricity grid (usually weekdays between 4-7pm). 

For each Power Move Plus event we’ll email you to let you know:

• the times when there is the highest demand for electricity. You’ll need to shift your electricity usage out of these times.
  • your personal electricity use target for that period. You’ll need to use less electricity than this during the event.  

How will I earn credit with Power Move Plus?

We’ll reward you with energy credit for every kWh of electricity usage you shift below your target. The amount you can earn will vary per event and you’ll be told what the value of each kWh is in your email before you opt in. You’ll need to opt in to each event.

If a Power Move Plus event and a Power Move event take place at the same time then, you’ll be eligible for credit for both Power Move and Power Move Plus.

Remember - if you’re already shifting your electricity usage out of 4-7pm as part of Power Move, you’ll earn more by also opting in to Power Move Plus. 

How much reward will I receive?

The amount of the reward you’ll receive will depend on the level of demand on the grid and how much non-essential electricity you can shift. You can opt in to as many events as you want to.

If you don’t reduce your usage below your target then you won’t receive a reward for that event, even if you’ve opted in to it.

Each month the bill credits you receive through these rewards will vary depending on:

• The number of Power Move Plus events you’ve opted in to 
  • The reward value of the events you’ve opted in to
  • If you’ve reduced your electricity usage below your target 

For example: We’re offering £2.40 per kWh of electricity shifted. If you have a personal target of 3kWh and reduce your usage to 2kWh, you’ve shifted 1kWh you’ll make a saving of £2.40 for that event. 

How can I get involved?

We’ll invite eligible customers this winter to sign up to Power Move Plus - keep an eye on your emails. 

To be eligible, you’ll need to have a smart meter, be a pay monthly or on demand customer and, opt in to half hourly meter reads and email marketing consent. You can update your meter read or marketing preference via your online account. Terms apply to Power Move Plus- see here for details. Please note that our Power Move Plus events are available to limited numbers of customers at the moment and are available on a first come, first served basis but we’re working to open the events up to more customers.

Do I need to opt in to each event?

You can choose which events to opt in to. Sometimes it might not be possible to shift your usage to meet your target. If that’s the case then you don’t need to take part in that event. If you do want to take part, then you’ll need to opt in to each individual event.

If you don’t opt in you won’t receive a reward for that event even if you hit your personal target.

How do I shift my energy usage to hit the target?

The best way to shift your electricity usage is to use power-intensive appliances, like washing machines and dishwashers outside of event times. Power Move Plus is all about using your electricity usage at different times - so your overall usage shouldn’t change. You’ll earn bill credit based on how much electricity you managed to shift.

It’s a great way to rely less on fossil fuels – while reducing your energy bills. And if we all make small changes to our energy use together, we’ll make a bigger difference to our collective carbon footprint. A big step on the Path to Zero!

How does Power Move Plus work with Power Move?

We’re offering customers even more chances to be rewarded. You can take part in both Power Move and Power Move Plus to supercharge your savings this winter. 

With Power Move, we challenge you to shift your non-essential electricity use to times when the grid is greenest. We set new challenges with different monthly targets every three months, and at the end we reward you with energy credit for hitting the target. 

Power Move Plus offers you even more chances to be rewarded, with shorter, one off events. You’ll receive a personal target with each Power Move Plus event and be rewarded based on how much electricity you shift below the target.

Why am I being rewarded for shifting my usage out of a high price time period?

When everyone’s using power, and demand on the UK’s energy grid is high, there’s less renewable power (such as solar or wind) to go around. This means dirty fossil fuel generators need to be switched on to fill the gap to keep the lights on in the UK.

By shifting your non-essential electricity use away from peak times, you’re reducing the demand on the grid and our dependence on fossil fuels. You’ll be using electricity at times where the grid is likely to be greener.

Want to find out more? Head over to our website for Frequently Asked Questions

We want to hear from you! 

We’d love to hear from those that are taking part in Power Move Plus. Leave a comment below to tell us if you’re part of the scheme. What approach will you take to hit the target?  

Thanks,
The OVO team

64 replies

Userlevel 7

Very excited about Power Move Plus - this forum group is now live!

Who’s signing up for Power Move Plus then?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I definitely want to!

Userlevel 2

How are the personalised targets worked out?
As someone who’s already going to great lengths to be a low user of electricity, will I still get achievable targets without having to turn off essentials?

Userlevel 4

Ive received the email and have signed up.  Not sure how it will work being a really low user, but ready to give it a go, especially as ive ranged from 1.8  to 3.3 kwh for a day over the last 2 mths, and only once over 0.4 kwh on the 3hr power move, but will see what targets i get set.  I am getting close to putting an oil filled radiator on for short periods though.  Winter is coming!

Yes please. Am I right in thinking that I have to wait to be invited? 

Just updated my email marketing preference so please can you invite me - pretty please! 

BTW @Emmanuelle_OVO , the link in "About this group" is broken.

Userlevel 7
Badge

I’m being bombarded with offers to take part in DFS schemes, but I can only pick one. Of course, I’d like to stay with ‘our’ scheme, but not if I/we would be better off with one of the others. Has anyone done any comparison of the various offerings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m being bombarded with offers to take part in DFS schemes, but I can only pick one. Of course, I’d like to stay with ‘our’ scheme, but not if I/we would be better off with one of the others. Has anyone done any comparison of the various offerings?

The registered providers list is still being compiled but so far is here

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You could look at the rates each scheme is offering. 

Companies can choose how much they keep to cover their costs. 

The first 6 trial events are fixed at £3 per kWh, out of that the companies take a cut. 

The next set of trial events and any live events may be at a different price point. Last year bidding meant different companies paid out different amounts and some companies bids failed so their customers couldn't take part in all events. 

OVO say they are paying £2.40 so keeping £60p per kWh

Hugo charged the same last year, but if you donated your money to the Fuel bank foundation, then Hugo donated their 20%. That is what we did.

It would be nice if OVO ran a similar scheme with a fuel charity. 

Loop have said 

For the first six events, we expect to be paid £3 from ESO per kWh saved. We expect to pay you approximately £2.50 per kWh saved.

Although they also mention passing on 80% so I suspect they will do that for later events. 

Loop had a scheme for donating to charity but I don't know how theirs worked. 

I haven't looked in detail at the financials for each supplier.

The most generous I have found is utrack from uswitch. They pass on 100% of the money, taking zero fees. So I suspect on pure financial terms they may be best. 

https://www.uswitch.com/utrack-money-back-faqs/

Userlevel 7

Hey @ima,

As someone who’s already going to great lengths to be a low user of electricity, will I still get achievable targets without having to turn off essentials?

From our terms:

How we calculate your personal target

3.4 We calculate your personal target using ESO’s methodology. For more information see DFS Participation Guidance Document

For working days – your personal target is calculated using the half hourly electricity usage data taken from your smart meter over the last 10 working days (Mon - Fri excluding bank holidays) before an event. Days where there has been a Power Move Plus event will not count towards the target. You must have at least 5 working days worth of data for a target to be calculated.

For non-working days (Saturday, Sunday & bank holidays) – your personal target is calculated using the half hourly electricity usage data taken from your smart meter over the last 4 non-working days. Days where there has been a Power Move Plus event will not count towards the target. You must have at least 4 non-working days worth of data for a target to be calculated.

This means, as your usage changes over the course of winter, so does your personal target.

Userlevel 2

Hey @ima,

From our terms:

3.4 We calculate your personal target using ESO’s methodology. For more information see DFS Participation Guidance Document

For working days – your personal target is calculated using the half hourly electricity usage data taken from your smart meter over the last 10 working days (Mon - Fri excluding bank holidays) before an event. Days where there has been a Power Move Plus event will not count towards the target. You must have at least 5 working days worth of data for a target to be calculated.

For non-working days (Saturday, Sunday & bank holidays) – your personal target is calculated using the half hourly electricity usage data taken from your smart meter over the last 4 non-working days. Days where there has been a Power Move Plus event will not count towards the target. You must have at least 4 non-working days worth of data for a target to be calculated.

This means, as your usage changes over the course of winter, so does your personal target.

Many thanks for the reply. It is unfortunate that those who are conscious to reduce consumption as much as possible anyway, without there being an “event” on, are penalised by ending up with more ambitious targets. Unless there is a lower limit to how low the target can be set?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @ima,

From our terms:

Many thanks for the reply. It is unfortunate that those who are conscious to reduce consumption as much as possible anyway, without there being an “event” on, are penalised by ending up with more ambitious targets. Unless there is a lower limit to how low the target can be set?

There are no different approaches 

Userlevel 4

Ive received the email and have signed up.  Not sure how it will work being a really low user, but ready to give it a go, especially as ive ranged from 1.8  to 3.3 kwh for a day over the last 2 mths, and only once over 0.4 kwh on the 3hr power move, but will see what targets i get set.  I am getting close to putting an oil filled radiator on for short periods though.  Winter is coming!

Userlevel 7

Keep us posted with how you get on @Ria ! 😊

Userlevel 7

I’m signed up, but as a low electricity user myself, and as I currently understand how Power Move Plus will work, then I don’t think I’ll be making much out of PM+.

It will depend on the personal targets set for each DFS ‘event’ of course, but looking at the information given above:

•     You’ll get £2.40 for each kWh use shifted out of a DFS ‘event’.
  •     There are 6 trial events planned between November and the end of December.
  •     Each planned event will have a duration of 1 hour.
  • The personal target set will be set based on your last 10 weekdays usage during that 1 hour period.
  •     There may also be ‘unplanned’ events which could have a longer or shorter duration.

Personally I very rarely use even 1 kW during an hour, my average for October has been 0.15 kW per hour.

So if I’m given a personal PM+ target for an event of 0.15 kWh  over the hour of the trial, and I reduce my usage to just 0.05 kW for that hour (my smoke alarms, boiler controller, fridge, etc will use 0.02 of that), that’s a saving of just 0.1 kWh.
£2.40 x 0.1 = 24 pence that I’d be rewarded with.

Can anybody see anything wrong with my understanding there?

its really amazing with the complete information!
thank you for the sharing.

Userlevel 4

@Nukecad

Same as you i will be pence having 1.8 to 3.3kwh for the whole day! I will still give it a go though. 

However i have read that targets are based on previous 10 Mon -Fri or if on a weekend its previous 4 weekend/bk hol days.  

Userlevel 7

@RiaThanks, I’ve corrected that typo on the 10 days.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what personal target we get set for the first planned event when it happens.

Userlevel 7

PS. Is it just me who thinks that ‘DFS event’ sounds like a furniture sale?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

PS. Is it just me who thinks that ‘DFS event’ sounds like a furniture sale?

Come on down now to get our best ever sale prices! 99% off of all our electric sofas!

:P

Userlevel 4

Found following info:

From November 2023 to the end of December 2023 likely to be six tests., and from January 2024 to the end of March 2024 likrly to run a further six tests. 

These tests will last for one hour.

Live events are likely to last for a longer period if they are needed and could run up to four hours each. These are most likely to be held late afternoon/ early evening on weekdays when demand for electricity is highest. 

Tests and live events are most likely to take place across weekday evening peaks.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi All

I’ve been invited to join the PMP but don’t have a smart meter and neither do I want one. 

Sorry to be a negative Nelly but please be careful - these DFS schemes are likely to be paving the way for a future introduction of ‘Time of Day’ Pricing.  People need the flexibility to use the energy they need when they need it and not be manipulated into using energy at fixed times or penalised financially for it.  Particularly the elderly or those with health issues that require continual warmth.

Surely the underlying issue is that the UK needs to put in place the infrastructure to generate and store enough renewable power to meet the demands of its population rather than making do with the same amount then getting us all to cut our consumption?

The energy industry would be better placed campaigning for changes to the pricing of renewables in the wholesale energy market rather than curtailing the freedom to use power when you need to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi All

I’ve been invited to join the PMP but don’t have a smart meter and neither do I want one. 

Sorry to be a negative Nelly but please be careful - these DFS schemes are likely to be paving the way for a future introduction of ‘Time of Day’ Pricing.  People need the flexibility to use the energy they need when they need it and not be manipulated into using energy at fixed times or penalised financially for it.  Particularly the elderly or those with health issues that require continual warmth.

Surely the underlying issue is that the UK needs to put in place the infrastructure to generate and store enough renewable power to meet the demands of its population rather than making do with the same amount then getting us all to cut our consumption?

The energy industry would be better placed campaigning for changes to the pricing of renewables in the wholesale energy market rather than curtailing the freedom to use power when you need to.

That’s the direction the system is moving towards - Smart Metering with Time of Use/Type of Use type tariffs. The only one’s who’d be punished are really the ones who use excessive amounts of juice during peak hours. Being smart about your usage would balance it out.

Either way, such tariffs are optional right now and I can’t foresee them being made mandatory anytime soon. There’ll almost always be a flat rate somewhere on the market.

Also, the National Grid ESO DFS Scheme is NOT being used as a way to control usage or force Time-of-Use Tariffs onto the market. The genuine intention of it is to act as a tool to help balance the grid during the extreme demand that winter often sees. It’s not used unless it has to be used, except for test events where the ESO triggers it to make sure things are working properly. Even during test events, you WILL be rewarded if you manage to meet the target. The ESO put that agreement in place pretty much from day one last year.

Your participation is totally voluntary. However, I’ve seen documents that suggest the alternative option - power rationing. That would literally result in supplies being disconnected across the country during certain times of day and if it has to… Pretty much the entire country.

I think I know what I’d rather do...

Userlevel 7
Badge

Surely the underlying issue is that the UK needs to put in place the infrastructure to generate and store enough renewable power to meet the demands of its population ...

There is a whole government department dedicated to just that, but it will take years to achieve, and meanwhile there is the likelihood that there just isn’t enough power to go round at peak times in the depths of winter.    

… curtailing the freedom to use power when you need to.

No-one is curtailing householders’ freedom to use power at the moment. However, the danger exists that demand will exceed supply sometimes; if it does, you may well lose that freedom at times. Persuading consumers to be aware of this and adjust their usage patterns accordingly is one way of helping prevent the need for power cuts.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry @newjerseyminx but I disagree. The UK generation system is fairly robust but with the growth in electrical use including all appliances, EV’s, portable equipment et al., it needs some help.

The generation system can indeed cope with all of the above but only by firing coal generation plant at peak times in winter. This of course adds to the carbon emissions and climate problems.

Users have been encouraged over many years to simply move their energy use out of peak hours and when thinking about new heating equipment, away from gas and more towards electricity as that is the currency of renewable generation.

Having spent over 30 years associated with the industry, it is obvious to me that the public do not move their behaviour on sentiment but by price design and, although not yet in place, I am convinced that this will result in pricing by demand.

The smart meter helps users to monitor and adapt their usage (and reduce bills) alongside helping the supply companies understand how power need changes over time. It is only with this information that they will hope to keep pace.