Solved

Smart meter fitting appointment soon, will both my gas and electric meters being outside affect the installation?

• 1 August 2022
  • 6 replies

I’m having a smart meter fitted soon, but both my gas and electric meters are outside our property - will this affect the installation of the smart meter?  Any advice is gratefully received.  Thank you 

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 3 August 2022, 10:18

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @LorraineM ,

Yup, that should be fine in 99% of cases. Could you show us photos of the existing meters and their surroundings though, as we’ll be happy to advise if you might need to do anything to keep the meters safe.

Userlevel 7

Are the meter boxes in good condition, @LorraineM ? That can cause an issue if a meter box door is missing and the meter is exposed to the elements.

Also, is your gas meter dug into the ground? It’s called a semi-concealed meter. Our engineer needs to have a note of that in advance to have the correct parts. 

Otherwise you’re all good! 

We’ve got a heap of guides here:

thanks for both replies.

The meters are in good condition, and above ground, however they are on a side wall away from the actual house.  

Userlevel 7

Updated on 20/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Are the meter boxes in good condition, @LorraineM ? That can cause an issue if a meter box door is missing and the meter is exposed to the elements.

Also, is your gas meter dug into the ground? It’s called a semi-concealed meter. Our engineer needs to have a note of that in advance to have the correct parts. 

Otherwise you’re all good! 

We’ve got a heap of guides here:

thanks for both replies.

The meters are in good condition, and above ground, however they are on a side wall away from the actual house.  

Sounds fine to me, @LorraineM. You might find that the distance from the house means that your In Home Display doesn’t work, but that’s not too much of an issue. The benefits of a smart meter go beyond a little screen in the kitchen. 

Best of luck for the appointment!

Hi

I got an appointment for smart meter installation this week. My meter is located outside and i presume that the old digital meter would be replaced by smart meter outside the house. 

I just wanted to know would there be any installations or modification on inside my property ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nope! All modifications will be strictly confined to just the existing meter board for the electric meter and whatever space the gas meter is in. Nothing else. :)

For safety reasons however, your supplies will be temporarily disconnected while the work is underway. This is mostly to ensure the safety of the engineer, but also to help avoid frying all your stuff. Your supplies will be restored and reconnected when they’re done.