Solved

Pipit 500 In Home Display (IHD) estimated bill isn't resetting - is this right?

Show first post

67 replies

Userlevel 5
Hey @Slickdog. I've moved your topic onto this thread. Check out the 'Best Answer' as I think you'll find this useful!

Cheers,
Nancy
My in home display meter used to go back to zero at the begining of each month, but since moving to ovo it just keeps going up, can this be changed?
Userlevel 5
Hey @Kazad22 - I've moved your post over here where you can find more information about how the IHD works!
My home display unit always reset itself back to zero at the start of a new month, but since I've moved over to ovo this has stopped happening so you can't see how much your using each month is there any way to rectify this?
Userlevel 7
@Lindsey138 @NickinHP do your IHDs reset every month like @Kazad22 ?
Hi. I gave up using mine to be honest because it wasn’t doing what I wanted it to. I wanted something to show me how much I was using each month, then for it to reset again, so I could keep a track on my monthly bill without logging on.

i didn’t want something that showed me the appliances that used more, as I already really know that my tumble drier uses a lot for example.

it was a bit disappointing.
Why don’t my (IHD) reset to zero every month on the direct debt date. It use to before I switch to ovo .
Userlevel 3
Hey @Ian25, I've moved your query to this existing topic to give you the answer you're looking for!

Check out @Tim_OVO's best answer at the top of this thread for the information you need.

Also, its worth noting that the 'Secure' smart meters we fit are the most popular, in terms of the number of other suppliers who can also communicate with them. As well as this, an upcoming remote software update will make every S1 meter compatible with all suppliers and hopefully incorporate the In Home Display (IHD) units becoming uniform in terms of their functionality.

Hope this helped!

My Pipit 500 IHD never resets. Currently showing £122.59 for electric and £368.40 for gas. If it doesn't reset on a regular basis, what is the point of it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @nylets ,

Welcome back. :)

I think I know what the problem is here. Are you looking at the Yearly view by any chance? That’s an awful lot of energy use for Daily, Weekly or Monthly so I’d find it unlikely that you’re looking at those readings.

From my understanding, most IHDs will either run this sort of thing on a rolling basis, or go off the calendar year depending on how they were designed to work - but calendar year is more likely. Given that today is the last day of 2021, your IHD will likely go back to zero for both Monthly and Yearly shortly after midnight as the New Year sets in and we head into 2022.

Could you show us some photos of your IHD and what you’re seeing please?

See attached. I know over £1000 of electricity and £900 of gas so far this calendar year so I’m not even sure what the figures in the pictures represent.

Regards

Steven

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks!

I see what you mean there, that doesn’t sound right to me either. I’m starting to wonder if this might be a bug in the IHD, as the Pipit 500 has been known to be rather… Buggy…

I think I’ll ping @Tim_OVO just in case.

EDIT: The only other thing I can think of, is whether your IHD has the wrong tariff config. The Support Team can fix that with a quick SMETS Command such as Update Tariff Configuration, but if you still see the issue after that, I’d definitely be inclined to consider it as a possible bug.

Morning,

Well my electricity reading has reset (now £1.79) but the gas is continuing - now at £371.49.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s a good sign then. The electric meter has definitely rolled over correctly. Your gas meter might take longer due to the half-hourly heartbeats but it should eventually reset.

Happy New Year by the way! :)

Userlevel 7

Happy New Years, @nylets 

Great to see our community volunteer @Blastoise186 was on hand to help you out with your Pipit IHD query over the festive break. It’s something which has been raised here previously so check out the advice given in the Best Answer to this topic:

This default estimated bill screen on your Pipit In Home Display (IHD) doesn't necessarily match your monthly billing cycle. This figure can't be reset manually but will reset after a tariff change, so when you renew, or with a price change if you're on the Simpler Energy plan. Think of it as a ‘Total usage since last tariff change’ figure. 

If you’re looking to check your current monthly cost the best place to head is the ‘Billing’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). This will update daily if you have your smart meter set to send us a reading either daily or half hourly. If you would like to update the reading schedule of your meter to allow this, contact our Support Team to request this change.

Strange to hear that your electricity figure has now reset as we’d only expect this to happen following a tariff change rather than at the start of a New Year. Have you managed to get logged in to your online account to check the smart meter usage data there?

Userlevel 6
Badge

I see what you mean there, that doesn’t sound right to me either. I’m starting to wonder if this might be a bug in the IHD, as the Pipit 500 has been known to be rather… Buggy…

Yes, I have the same IHD, and I would describe it as useless at the best of times. I have no idea how anybody can call this “the future” when it looks like a tired remake of the 1990s. And the person who wrote the software must have never used it, because it makes absolutely no sense. 

Hi,

My existing plan commenced on the 11th November 2020 and as far as I am aware my tariff hasn’t changed since I started this plan. I know I have used more than the figure shown on the IHD for gas since 11/11/2020 so I am not sure what the figure shown represents at all. So I may as well just unplug it. I do use the website to keep a check on the daily usage.

Thanks