Solved

If there's no mobile signal in my area, should I still get a smart meter fitted?

• 27 November 2018
  • 15 replies

is there any point in my having a smart meter installed as there is no mobile signal from any network where I live? Can smart meters communicate over WiFi or WiFi Calling for example?
icon

Best answer by Transparent 30 November 2018, 11:12

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 14/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great question to ask about the practicalities of installing a smart meter in locations with poor mobile signal.

There’s a slight difference on the way your smart meter will communicate with us depending on where you live. If the signal’s patchy we can sometimes install an aerial to boost the signal and ensure that we receive the readings from your meter. Check the way your meter will communicate and the compatibility of an aerial on the table below:

North - Meter Point Administration Numbers (MPANs) starting 15, 16, 17, 18, 23)

South - MPANs starting 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 22

Communications (comms) hub appearance

Two lights - Wide Area Network (WAN) and (HAN) Home Area Network

Five lights - 2nd is WAN and 4th is HAN

Signal

Uses radio signal - doesn’t depend on mobile signal strength

Uses mobile signal

Aerials

Aerials can’t be installed on North comms hubs

SKU1 hubs are fitted if an engineer thinks an aerial is not required
T1 and T2 aerials can be fitted onto SKU2 hubs. Members will see "SKU2 Cellular + Mesh" on the top-right of SKU2 hubs

Unfortunately if there’s no signal at all in the area your meter is located we wouldn’t be able to offer you a smart meter currently. Although it’s worth checking back in as the signal in your area is subject to change. There’s also future plans to use a ‘mesh’ network - which will allow smart meters to bounce the signal between themselves.

If you’ve already had the meter installed and are experiencing signal issue, we’d recommend carrying out a smart meter health check for your meter type below and contacting our Support Team with the results:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi,

I really want a smart meter so I can export energy back to the grid. However, my energy supplier tells me that there is no SMWAN Coverage in my area, so will not offer me a Smart meter.

Smart meters are installed in houses in the wider area (1km) and  I have a 3G/4G signal inside my house from Three (as I am based in the South of Britain, I guess I would be using the Telefonica network).

1. Does the Smart metering signal only use certain mobile providers?
  2. Is the SMWAN Coverage data accurate and should it be updated?
  3. Can I ask my Energy provider to test the signal at my property?

Thanks

Hi,

I really want a smart meter so I can export energy back to the grid. However, my energy supplier tells me that there is no SMWAN Coverage in my area, so will not offer me a Smart meter.

Smart meters are installed in houses in the wider area (1km) and  I have a 3G/4G signal inside my house from Three (as I am based in the South of Britain, I guess I would be using the Telefonica network).

1. Does the Smart metering signal only use certain mobile providers?
  2. Is the SMWAN Coverage data accurate and should it be updated?
  3. Can I ask my Energy provider to test the signal at my property?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @leprous !

I can answer those for you. :)

1. Yes, the Southern Territory (and also the Central Territory that got rolled into Southern) use the O2 Network as part of the Cellular based Telefonica WAN (Three is not part of this system I’m afraid). For the Northern Territory, it’s a Long-Range Radio based system running on the Arqiva WAN for which no mobile networks are involved
  2. Generally, yes. I think it’s heavily influenced by O2 coverage in general and is updated regularly
  3. I believe you can ask for this. They’ll usually do it remotely first but some might agree to send an engineer out to test the signal on-site. The signal is always tested on-site during an install, upgrade or replacement job as part of the installation process.

You are indeed in the Southern Territory if you’re in the South of Britain, so you’d be under the Telefonica WAN.

Three isn’t part of Telefonica - it’s owned by Hutchinson 3G UK Ltd (with a very complicated chain of ownership above that!) instead and they use their own infrastructure.

Many Thanks, very informative. I think I need to check my O2 coverage.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Its hardly worth the bother 4p per Kwh they pay, better off to buy a battery to use your solar power overnight or to charge your car.

This seems like it could be beneficial to you then: https://octopus.energy/smart/flux/

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It won’t be any use if there’s no WAN Coverage though. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Its hardly worth the bother 4p per Kwh they pay, better off to buy a battery to use your solar power overnight or to charge your car.

Octopus pay me 15p per kWh and if you're on their Flux tariff you can get about 40p.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@M.isterW - I’ve just looked that up and it’s a great deal if you have the battery capacity. I’d get 36.85p if I could export during the peak hours!  

My smart meter doesn’t connect to the WAN in my rural location. I cant get access to the great EV charge rates on offer. I have 4G mobile available but in scotland needs to connect through other means. Any ideas on how to get problem resolved if smart meter cant connect for the half hourly updates… apparently cant even get new meter for economy seven which although more expensive than EV rates would still be cheaper at night to charge car… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are different signals used for smart meters @GMJ265 there’s a bit of a walk through here 

There has been some advances in low signal areas more recently, with additional aerial design and also a ‘linking’ of several meters to get signals passed from one to the other. If you’re in a really remote location, it may well be that the network can’t reach you but it’s worth asking if there’s an update available. Incidentally, do you happen to know if you have a 1st or 2nd generation meter? The newer versions help. 

It’s a smets2 it was changed about a year ago after much hassle to ensure that it wasn’t a meter issue with the previous one and once eliminated left me with only a connectivity issue… technologically a 4G connection might work nut in scotland it has to be radio wave connection… wondering what idiot decided radio wave connectivity in the most mountainous part of the UK was a good idea? Or why the technology that could work cant be used because of some lunacy about having to use an unworkable tech? Crackers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s more about using a secure method to transmit the signal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

And up in Scotland, the Long-Range Radio method actually has better coverage than the O2 network used for the Telefonica WAN down south would have. It’s all about what works for the many.