Solved

I've got a new SMETS2 smart meter, how do I take a reading?

• 3 December 2018
  • 20 replies

7366b597-3b6d-4dd7-b3f8-7d33e475e890.jpg

Well I had the latest version 2 smart meter installed in October (8 weeks ago)but was not left a manual nor is there an online version (only for version 1). Whilst daily usage is being communicated to the portable device that you plug into a wall socket it seems that my account is only picking up the electricity readings and not the gas. So the question is 'how do I manually read the smart meter for gas?

icon

Best answer by Beth_OVO 4 December 2018, 11:31

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 2

Updated on 06/03/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

How to take a reading from your Aclara/Flonidan SMETS2 smart meter: 

To take an electricity reading:
Press A - 'TOU rate 1' will be the electricity reading. If you have an economy 7 meter, 'TOU rate 2' will show the rate 2 reading.

To take a gas reading:.
The gas meter has the buttons A, B and C. (C is the options and A & B are to scroll through). When you wake up the meter it should automatically default to the reading screen.

NB: Some meters haven't got the buttons labelled, if that's the case, A is the top button B is the bottom.

How to diagnose communication issues with your SMETS2 smart meter:

If your In-Home Display (IHD) is only showing the electricity, then there could be a communication issue with your gas smart meter.

If the gas meter is connected to the communication hub (this is at the top of the meter) it will have the word HAN (which stands for Home Area Network) on it, there will also be a signal bar to show the HAN signal strength.

If there's WAN (Wider Area Network) and HAN coverage the WAN and HAN lights will flash every 5 seconds. If the meter is searching for a signal, the lights will flash every 3 seconds, if there's no signal at all the lights will flash every 1 second or they won't flash at all.

If you suspect the meter isn't communicating with us, complete a Smart meter health and contact our Support Team with the results.

The advice above relates to S2 meters, if you have a Secure S1 meter you can find out how to read this manually here.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Thanks for this. The smart gas reading seems to have kicked in by itself today so both fuel readings are working normally. Thanks for your help.
Hi,

I had a SMETS-2 meter installed last month and the installer said it would take a while for the readings to come through. I've now had a reading taken remotely by Ovo for electricity but nothing for gas. My last bill didn't use an estimated gas reading or even mention I have a gas tariff - it's almost like I'm on an electricity-only package.

Ovo can read the electricity, showing that you have the meter details and the WAN is working correctly. I can get gas meter readings on my IHD, demonstrating that the gas meter is communicating with the electricity meter correctly. So not sure why my gas reading is still 0000?
Userlevel 5
Hi @afcone - I've moved your post over here. Check out Beth's answer above!
Hi @Nancy_OVO, I'm not sure Beth's answer actually addresses my issue. My IHD is *not* only showing electricity. It shows both electricity and gas usage, indicating that the link between the gas meter and the electricity meter is working fine. Similarly, Ovo is able to pick up electricity readings showing the link between the electricity meter and the WAN is fine. My question is, given both links (gas meter --> elec meter and elec meter--> Ovo) both work, why isn't Ovo picking up gas readings and why does my recent bill not even show that I'm on a dual tariff?

Thanks.
Userlevel 5
Hi @afcone - there's a change your gas meter details haven't been updated on your account yet. This can take up to 6 weeks after installation, which would explain why you've not had a gas bill yet. If it's been longer than this, I'd advise getting in touch with the team to double check.
I'm really confused - looking around the ovo site the smart meter i should have installed - with a numeric keypad - is not the smart meter I have.

My gas has a new panel on with three buttons - A B C, all with a red tape across them. And a blank display.

My electric meter also has no keypad, just buttons with the letters A and B.

My home monitor seems to be reporting readings about 25% higher than my electric bills have ever been (£32-35 a week!)

And my OVO account keeps asking me to do manual readings as they aren't being sent through - which is impossible because I'm meant to press "9" on a keypad that doesn't exist....

I'm baffled. Where do I even start when the self-help here looks nothing like the devices I've had installed (except for the home monitor)
Can I just say thank you for this thread - I've somehow ended up with a smets2 installation *without* signing up for the trial. Confused would be an understatement, especially when I've spent 3 hours on self-help which is only showing smets1 devices.

And I've had literally zero communication on the matter!

My smets2 isn't set up right either - I'm only seeing electricity on my home panel, it's about 30% higher than it should be (yikes!), and my ovo is saying no readings are coming through.
My IHD is only picking up my gas usage and not my elec. I now notice that my latest statement (4th Jan 19) is only for gas and I haven't been billed for elec.
On my version 2 smart meter I notice that I have 4 blinking green lights out of 5. Its the MESH light that is not blinking. There is also an occasional red blinking of the 1000/kwhrs light. Is something amis?
Userlevel 4
I'm wondering if there has been another cock-up on our bills for December, I haven't been billed for Gas!

Ugh.., SMART meters, they're more trouble than their worth!!
Userlevel 5

Hey @silkovo & @DavidOVO,

There may be an issue with the IHD (the handheld device connected to your meters), rather than the actual meters themselves.

Send the team a message on Facebook or Twitter so they can look into this for you.

If you don't use social media, you can speak to the team online via our Help Centre.

Eva

Two weeks ago I had an electrical SMETS2 smart meter fitted. It was fitted on a day where the commissioning system was failing nationwide, so the engineer told me I would have to submit my readings as before with the new meter.

thing is, the new meter reads 0. The SW and WAN lights are flashing in tandem on the Toshiba box, while the Aclara box just has its cellular display reading 0.

whats the best course of action I can take?
Userlevel 5
It sounds like the meter isn't communicating or set up right, @Chilvman, take a look at Beth's best answer for more information on what to do.
Can someone please tell me how to find my day & night readings on my Honeywell smart meter & my Chameleon In-Home Display.
Userlevel 5
The best answer will advise on how to take your readings, @Caroline Faulkner.

Hi there, I’ve got a new smart meter which doesn’t seem to be sending my energy readings to my provider. I haven’t sent any readings since getting the meter installed so don’t know to read it and manually send readings. I didn’t think I would have to do that. 

I am on economy 7. My TOU Rate 1 is 00583 and TOU Rate 2 is 00384 kWh, apparently. those look nothing like the readings I used to submit before the smart meter, which were more along the lines of 05551 for night and 81034 for day. When I tried putting the 00583 and 00384 rates into the app, my energy provider said they looked wrong so now am not sure what to do. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Does this help?

Don’t forget that being a brand new meter, the readings will be quite different to your previous meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

While you’re here, could you post photos of the meter for us? We can help with potentially diagnosing comms issues in a way that can make things easier for you if you need to go back to your supplier. :)

Hi there,

thanks for all your help! I finally got through to my provider and it turns out they hadn’t registered the fact I’ve got a smart meter in their system (despite them fitting it for me over two months ago). So in fact what the app was asking was for me to input was the readings for my old meter. So now all I have to do is input the final readings from the old meter as if I’m paying the closing balance. But I will attach some pictures for you anyway (see: old meter, new smart meter with the two rates) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Perfect. ToU Rate 1 should be Peak and ToU Rate 2 should be Off-Peak IIRC