SMETS2 Smart Meter installation

• 15 March 2019
  • 86 replies

Show first post

86 replies

Userlevel 4
Thank you, @Somerpark and @Transparent input like this on the forum is invaluable for other users, please keep it coming ☺
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
OK, so I have some updates to the status of my replacement pair of SMETS2 meters, and I'd be interested to know if other customers are seeing the same:

A. When I first looked at my IHD this morning, it was showing what appeared to be a reasonable set of costings for electricity usage. It has continued like this for most of the day, with one small interruption when it claimed it had no data to display.

Here's what it was showing a few minutes ago:

Since were informed last week that OVO had identified "the fault" as being within the Communications Hub, the obvious conclusion is that they have released an over-the-air software upgrade.

B. Whatever the software upgrade did, as far as I know it's had no effect on my other major fault of the SMETS2 Gas Meter not transmitting across the HAN. The IHD still has the message Waiting for current data.

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if OVO themselves managed to gather any gas usage once they perform the overnight upload from my Comms Hub.

C. My (second) SMETS2 gas meter seems to have used a great deal of battery since it was installed just two weeks ago:

I've had a good look underneath it. There's a lot of electrons there, but none of them admitted to have leaked from the battery. 😉

The gas meter spec from Uniflo indicates a battery life of 10 years. So a reading of 2679 days means it won't last that long, which is disappointing. I hope this isn't indicative of poor contacts inside the unit. I'll keep monitoring it and report here what I find.
@Transparent

I have just noted on the other related thread that my IHD is still showing incorrect monetary readings, so I don't think that I have received any form of software update (unlike yourself).

I shall continue to monitor, and if nothing changes bring back to OVO's attention.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @AdrianG - This issue should be resolved by a software update that we'll be rolling out in the next couple of months 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
OK... so that's just answered my question @AdrianG !

I've been feeding some detailed information about SMETS2 meters back to OVO. So it's quite possible that one of their techies ran a test on my meter, knowing that if it failed, then I wouldn't be concerned!

Note that I didn't state that my IHD costings were now accurate - just that they appear to be more believable than I was reporting earlier!

Moreover I still have the "failed gas meter communications" issue. So I'd understand if OVO wasn't prepared to issue a widespread release of code that is still deficient in some way.
Userlevel 1
Hi @AdrianG - This issue should be resolved by a software update that we'll be rolling out in the next couple of months :)

Any idea what happens if we're no longer with OVO* before the fix is rolled out?

* I'm hoping that OVO still works out best, or nearly the best value, so we can justify staying. I do love it when utilities have online forums like this with empowered customer support reps actively helping.
Userlevel 4
The software update is across industry, @jewelie.

If you switch before it occurs, you can opt to change your meter to your new suppliers smart meter if they can not communicate with ours or wait a little while for the update and then all meters will be uniform across industry.

You can find more details here.

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
May I just check we're discussing the same issue here please?

If users with existing SMETS1 meters were to switch Suppliers, they may indeed meet the scenario which @Amy_OVO refers to in her post above. These SMETS1 sites are all to be upgraded to operate on the National Smart Meter Network in a 3-stage process. Stage-2 will occur in Sept'19 and will take these meters to a status called "Middle Operating Capability".

However, until now, this Topic has concerned sites who have SMETS2 meters installed. These already have interoperability. No software upgrade is meant to be required if you switch Suppliers.

The upgrades to which I think @jewelie is referring above, are those which are required to fix bugs within the SMETS2 meters and/or their Communications Hubs.

I received an upgrade to my Communications Hub on Monday 24th June, which I've reported on here above. This fixed erroneous pricing being displayed on my IHD.

Equally, Member @tony1tf had an upgrade to his SMETS2 electricity meter last week, and he's reported this elsewhere on the Forum.

Neither of these was a universal upgrade. They weren't even sent to all OVO customers.

My assumption is that OVO's technical staff were able to analyse the copious technical feedback from Tony & I, and devise fixes for two particular bugs. Quite reasonably, they used our SMETS2 meters to test that these fixes worked.

What we don't yet know is how these fixes might be propagated to all other SMETS2 users, not only in OVO, but across the UK.

So @jewelie's question is valid.

If the bug fixes are being created within OVO, and a customer changes to a new Supplier before OVO downloads new code into their SMETS2 meter, how will the new Supplier apply any bug-fixes?

Or... more broadly... why is it permissable for individual Suppliers to be working on code within elements of the SMETS2 system?

Doesn't this undermine the underlying strategy for having SMETS2 universality at the heart of the National Smart Meter Network ?
Userlevel 1

The upgrades to which I think @jewelie is referring above, are those which are required to fix bugs within the SMETS2 meters

and/or their Communications Hubs

You assumed correctly, by the way.

BTW On a tangent I seem to recall that you checked your gas meter's remaining estimated battery life and it was looking to be running very short? That got me interested and I checked ours, installed in April, and it's saying it's got 15 years worth of days to go yet. Phew.
Userlevel 1

A. When I first looked at my IHD

this morning, it was showing what appeared to be a reasonable set of costings for electricity usage. It has continued like this for most of the day, with one small interruption when it claimed it had no data to display.

Here's what it was showing a few minutes ago:

Since were informed last week that OVO
had identified "the fault" as being within the Communications Hub

, the obvious conclusion is that they have released an over-the-air software upgrade.

Out of curiosity, I've turned our IHD back on to see if anything has changed here.

Looks like the costs are about right now here too, so I can only conclude that I must've received an update too. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
An update for others on what @jewelie and I were discussing about the battery-life in the Uniflo SMETS2 Gas Meters:

Here's screenshot of what my meter showed yesterday:

So I'm seeing a very marginal increase in battery life being reported in the past 4 weeks since my reading of 2679 days on 24th June.

From my understanding of battery chemistry and contact resistances, I would put that down to little more than sampling errors. It's still some way short of the 3650+ days which equates to the expected lifetime of 10-years.

I know that OVO have downloaded firmware changes to my Comms Hub at least twice during the last month, but I doubt that these have contributed to battery usage.

As far as I understand it, my Gas Meter communications to the Comms Hub have "stuck" at some point in the commissioning process, shortly after the Installer left site on 10th June, so I don't think the Comms Hub can pass through upgrades to the Gas Meter anyway.

I'm not too concerned about this situation. It seems likely that I'll need a further site visit to install yet another SMETS2 Gas Meter (my 3rd!) and that will come with a new battery of course.

What has been interesting to learn is that industry-techies outside OVO are avidly reading this Topic! Someone emailed me last week and commented that he'd been concerned to read of a report about low battery readings on gas meters, yet he was unaware that I was the "Transparent" who'd been reporting it here!