Solved

Why do I get estimated readings in my bill when I have a smart meter?

• 13 February 2017
  • 70 replies

Show first post

70 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just a thought @TomThumb you could just tot up the amount the meter clocks over a year then submit a reading equal to one twelfth more than the prev each month…!! I doubt you’ll ever get a meter reader out to check.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’d break the industry and could trigger a fraud alarm, so not what I’d recommend

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

In all fairness, I’m happy with how both my accounts are running at the moment,

smart gas & elec  / traditional gas.

Tho i do know first hand how energy companies treat the unusual usage scenario on my traditional gas meter

(zero usage over winter & a high draw over the summer)

& how things can & have spiralled out of control when it comes to predicting  usage forecasts & associated billing.

Ovo on the most part have left my traditional gas meter readings to be left alone from any red flags so to speak, 

so throwing up a validation request so close a high estimated reading the same day I submitted a manual reading is very unusual. 

Tom…

Userlevel 7
Badge

@Firedog

A high draw in the summer & zero usage during the colder months,

OK, so you have an unconventional setup - a gas-heated cannabis farm in the barn, perhaps 😉 Sorry I omitted to look at (a) your profile and (b) your previous posts, which would have alerted me to the presence of this third meter.

The fact remains: if you have a good reason for meter readings not changing from one month to the rest, tell Support about it and ask them to correct the reading. If they’re able to see this usage pattern from previous years, there shouldn’t be any argument.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Firedog  I’m happy at the moment just to run from month to month, as I know my usage & bills will / should line up again on my next monthly statement,

to be fair, to much intervention also has it’s drawbacks, 

I’m certain the over estimated reading had been generated as a consequence of my submitting a new reading a few days later, 

The timing of the end of my monthly billing period / actual usage / submitting a new reading  all within a couple of days & the odds were against me,

I’m more highlighting the foibles & limitations of advanced usage predictions & estimated readings than seeking a resolution.

Unfortunately work arounds & comprises is the nature of the beast with this 3rd meter of mine.😀

Tom…

Userlevel 2

Hi I have just checked my meter to take a reading before the 1st July changes and I think it says "inactive."  It is a new meter and I have just checked all my meter reads online and they have all been estimated.  It's a little strange as my I HD is recording everything that's on...powerwise. I guess this is a job for the engineers??

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If it’s only just been fitted, it won’t be ready yet. Try giving it more time

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What type of meter have you got @Viv1966 ? We might be able to help in getting a reading for you

Userlevel 2

It's a Toshiba, if that's any help, 2nd generation, it was fitted on 15th June I think I have a meter read, but the other thing is since the engineer came, I can't get into the meter cupboard he seems to have closed it quite firmly, so I am peering through the glass trying to read it....but by all means if you can try please do 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It's a Toshiba, if that's any help, 2nd generation, it was fitted on 15th June I think I have a meter read, but the other thing is since the engineer came, I can't get into the meter cupboard he seems to have closed it quite firmly, so I am peering through the glass trying to read it....but by all means if you can try please do 

I think the Toshiba bit might be the comms part .. does it look like this? 

If so it’s an Aclara

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If it is an Aclara, the display should show as above with the words ‘Active Import’ and the figures below being the reading. 
You will need to be able to get to the meter at some point so it’s worth someone trying to open the cupboard 

Userlevel 2

No it's just one meter, so no it doesn't look like that, it's the same colour though. Yes my key seems to have lost its grip so I will try with pliers I think

Userlevel 6

Hey @Viv1966 

Did you manage to get into the cupboard to take a good look?

If you did, and you’re still not sure, you’re more than welcome to share a photo on here for everyone to take a look at and help you out.

Userlevel 2

@Abby_OVO no I haven't, however I have filled in a smart meter health check, can you tell me if the IHD would be taking accurate readings if the smart meter is saying "inactive?" Obviously I have checked all my meter readings and they have all been estimated this month.

Userlevel 2

@Abby_OVO my meter is just one meter it's a Toshiba I think the Comms is included in the one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Toshiba doesn’t make meters, only SMETS2 Comms Hubs. Try looking a bit further down.

Userlevel 2

@Blastoise186  ok will do do you know if the I HD will still be taking accurate readings if the meter doesn't seem to be? I need to send a reading to OVO before tomorrow..

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yes, the IHD will retrieve accurate readings by requesting them from the meter. Use the Meter Info screen to retrieve them and they will be valid to submit to your account.

Userlevel 2

@Blastoise186 ok thanks for that

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I forgot to say that your new smart meter will take a little time to get connected properly for sending readings @Viv1966 .

It should be readable for you to check a reading although I think you mentioned that you did get a reading. 
As Blastoise says, the IHD should be linked and showing correctly. 
Even when everything is fully connected and sending readings, it’s worth checking the meter every so often or at least online to see that the readings are getting through consistently. It should sort the problem you had with the old one

Userlevel 2

@BPLightlog ....yes I have just checked it again, it is matching the IHD with the reading, but still says "inactive" but I have sent a reading to OVO now anyway.  Thanks for all your help everyone, how long will it take to settle down, or should I speak to the Help Centre?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@BPLightlog ....yes I have just checked it again, it is matching the IHD with the reading, but still says "inactive" but I have sent a reading to OVO now anyway.  Thanks for all your help everyone, how long will it take to settle down, or should I speak to the Help Centre?

It can take up to 6 weeks from a new install but might well be up and running in a week or two

Userlevel 4

My Smart meter reads daily usage as less than £2 but the app (iPhone) shows usage at nearly £5. And I am told the standing charge is the first amount to be shown on the Smart meter (I guess soon after midnight).

What is going on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you’re talking about your IHD (in home display) @Chris Brummell , it may not be set for your current tariff. It is meant as a guide rather than being totally accurate as it’s the actual meter readings which determine your costs

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the quick reply. Aren’t the tariffs set automatically? I can’t find anywhere to manually set them (we have two - standard and overnight).