Solved

Isolation switch - Can OVO fit one of these for me?

• 27 March 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi, we're on an old fashioned fuse board and are having a new consumer unit fitted.

Electrician came round yesterday and says we need an isolator switch fitting before he can do the work.

Can anyone advise how i go about arranging this ?

Cheers
Stu
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 22 February 2019, 11:15

I've been told I need an isolation switch. Can anyone advise how much these cost - currently an OVO electricity only customer...

Good question, @Nells

Fitting this without any other work being done costs £158.25, or £325 if you have a 3-phase supply.

Call us for more info and to book this in for a Monday-Friday appointment at least 17 working days in advance.

Appointment slots are:

8am-12pm
10am-2pm
12pm-4pm
2pm-6pm
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
You usually have to arrange this with your local electricity distributer. You can find that online with the right searching. It's NEDL where I live. As a sparky myself we 'used' to pull the service fuse to enable a board change and most new installs have an a isolator fitted between the meter and the board. He obviously isn't happy to pull the service fuse which is right enough. Not sure what they'll charge you for fitting the isolator though.
Userlevel 1
Thanks, that's really helpful. As you say, he wasn't happy to pull the service fuse which is fair enough. We'll see what the financial damage will be !

Cheers
Stu
Userlevel 1
Turns out that OVO will do this for considerably less than my local distributor, as in £125 less !
Userlevel 1
Badge
Bonus! Glad you found a solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
That's interesting @Themoid.

The DNO in my area (Western Power) have never charged my sparkys when they attend on-site to re-establish the anti-tamper seals on Main-Fuse or meter. The Sparky just phones them when he starts work and they agree a time (a couple of hours hence) when they'll send an engineer to check the new connections and make the seals.

Here's my separate isolator:

Nor have I been charged when I've asked Western Power to shield overhead cables running close to my scaffolding. They even refitted the bracket completely free.

So I'm guessing that either policy changes with different DNOs or perhaps it's something to do with the rapport with the Sparky. :)

Western Power's strategy seems to concentrate on safe-practice. If they arrive on site to find something has been done without notifying them, then they start charging. This obviously favours the "good guys" and ensures that everything is done properly.
I've been told I need an isolation switch. Can anyone advise how much these cost - currently an OVO electricity only customer...Appreciate any help with this. Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I've been told I need an isolation switch. Can anyone advise how much these cost - currently an OVO electricity only customer...

Good question, @Nells

Fitting this without any other work being done costs £158.25, or £325 if you have a 3-phase supply.

Call us for more info and to book this in for a Monday-Friday appointment at least 17 working days in advance.

Appointment slots are:

8am-12pm
10am-2pm
12pm-4pm
2pm-6pm