Skip to main content
Tutorial

Switching to OVO? - Here's what to expect...

Switching to OVO? - Here's what to expect...

Updated on 16/09/24 by Shads_OVO

A Guide to joining OVO Energy

Pick a Plan and start the switch - where it all begins

So your energy plan is coming to an end and you’re looking for a new energy supplier. Maybe a switch to OVO is right for you.

Decided you’re ready to join us on a journey to Plan Zero?  First place to head is our Quote and Switch site.

Here, you can check the prices we offer on our range of plans and get a monthly Direct Debit quote. We’d really recommend finding out your annual usage figures from your current supplier and adding these under Do you know how much energy you use?

Exact appearance may vary.

Don’t worry if you don’t have the exact figures as we can base your quote on average usage for your size of home. Then it’s just a matter of choosing which plan suits you best. You can see more details about the unit rates and standing charges on each plan by selecting “Tariff Information Label”

Exact appearance may vary

We’ll just need some details, then you’re away!

Once you’ve chosen a plan and the date you’d like to switch, we’ll then ask for some personal details so we can set up the account in your name and get your Direct Debit arranged.

Next thing to look out for is your welcome email. This should land in your inbox within an hour and will have all the important details inside, such as your switching date and Direct Debit starting date. It’s also a good idea to check we’ve got your details correct. Something incorrect on the welcome email? Reach out to the Support Team, who’ll be able to put things right. If you haven’t received the email the team can also check this is on the way, (always worth a quick check of the junk email folder before getting in touch).

Another exciting part of the welcome email will be directions on how to login to your brand new online account. This is our online portal that will allow you to easily manage your account, with some great carbon-saving tools such as OVO Energy Tracker.

If you login at this point you’ll see this message,

Exact wording may vary

Switching Day or Supplier Start Date (SSD) - to give it the technical term!

Following the changes in the switching process, you’ve now got even greater control over the process. When you apply to join us you can pick the date your switch will take place. From the next working day up until 29 days notice, you decide. Just choose the date you’d like to join us on our Quote and Switch page.

Once you’ve received the welcome email, the date is set and the countdown can begin.

If you’re switching to us in the next 10 days we’d recommend submitting your opening meter readings as soon as the welcome pack arrives. If not, we’ll get in touch to remind you closer to the time. Even if you have smart meters we recommend taking the readings yourself, you can then submit them on your online account.

You’ll be able to submit the readings here until five days after the switch date. If you haven’t managed to pop them in by this point we’ll use estimated readings to start your account, they should be fairly accurate if you’ve got a smart meter or given regular readings to your old supplier. For more information on what to do if your opening readings seem wrong, check out our guide to meter reading disputes.

The switch is complete!

We’ll start supplying your energy from the date you switch. Around four to six weeks later, we’ll have confirmed the opening readings with your previous supplier and send you your first monthly summary. Once you receive this opening summary, the switching process is fully complete!

The best part about completing a switch? You now have full access to your online account - login and explore!

Changing your mind

We understand that things might not always go to plan. Even when picking a next-day switch with OVO, you’ll have a 14 day cooling off period which starts on the day you agree to the plan. In this case you’d be free to pick a different plan (either with OVO or another supplier) without any exit fees applied. If you’ve already started the new plan we’d charge you for any energy used in the meantime. We’ll check whether you’re happy with this when you sign up. If you don’t agree to this term the earliest switch date offered would be after the cooling off period ends, 15 days after you make the request.

Planning to switch or just joined us? Welcome along! 

Let us know how you found the switching process or if we’ve missed any important details in the comments below...

48 replies

Hello Jeffus 

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate your help. Let’s see what happens!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello Jeffus 

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate your help. Let’s see what happens!

I recommend keeping a detailed record of all interactions with OVO in case this drags on for whatever reason. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @JonathanF,

Quite often when this situation arises it’s due to an issue with the previous supplier still having a flag to ‘object’ to your switch leaving. Or it may be that the national database reflects this and therefor we aren’t allowed to switch the account.

I’m quite sure that the issue will be related to the previous objection your supplier made.

I’m going to ask Forum_Support to message you, they’ll be able to look into this further and hopefully get clarity on why this is happening again. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@JonathanF keep an eye out here

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

Thanks Emmanuelle_OVO and Jeffus for your advice. 

I’ve just spoken to EDF who’ve confirmed there is nothing at their end that’s stopping the switch going ahead. Their advice is for me to contact OVO …. again.

Is this switch process really so difficult or is someone, somewhere, not pulling their finger out and making it happen?

I do hope that Forum_Support are able to shine a light on this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’ve just spoken to EDF who’ve confirmed there is nothing at their end that’s stopping the switch going ahead. Their advice is for me to contact OVO …. again.

Is this switch process really so difficult or is someone, somewhere, not pulling their finger out and making it happen?

I do hope that Forum_Support are able to shine a light on this. 

It might be worth asking EDF for an email confirming they are not holding up the switch if you haven't already. It might help if this drags along

Thanks Jeffus. I’ll try them. 

I have not accessed my account since it transferred from SSE. I am in process of setting up online account and wondering if I will be able to print up bills from commencement of the account with you?

Yes ... and up to two years of SSE bills.

Hi, so first off I’m a new customer who is not very happy with the service provided by ovo as a whole. I opened an account via phone but was subjected to nothing but ridiculous amounts of poor communication as the agents on the phone clearly don’t know how to communicate and listen properly. After addressing the above issue the agent decided to argue that this is simply not the case and refused to let me speak to a manager.

I have today recieved a text asking me to check my bill online however I simply have zero access to my account. This is due to the following reasons:

• 1. I have recieved no welcome pack, even after being told TWICE they would be resent.
  • 2. The agent had ridiculously poor understanding of my accent and thus likely wrote down all my details into the system incorrectly.
  • 3. I don’t even have any account number sent to me.
  • 4. Attempting to reset the password using the registered email does not work.

Can someone please advise on what exactly I am supposed to do with literally zero account access?

Note: Further delays in my case being resolved may result in severe action being taken.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mister,

Sorry for the experience you’ve had,

I’d advise contacting the support team who will be able to check the national database to see if the switch has gone ahead. If your supply is now with OVO, they’ll be able to check if the email address we hold on our system is correct and confirm if the welcome pack has been sent yet, it’s worth also checking your junk inbox in case it’s gone into there by mistake. 

They should also be able to resend the welcome pack if you haven’t received it. It sounds to me as though the email address on your account may be incorrect which is why you haven’t had a welcome pack and aren’t able to log into your online account. 

When did you sign up? It can take a few days to get a welcome pack and for an account to be set up. The first bill will be received within 4-6 weeks. 

How long does it take to switch energy supplier?

All you need is:

• Your postcode
  • Your current gas and electricity supplier and the name of your tariff
  • A recent energy bill showing how much energy you use in kilowatt hours (kWh)

The actual changeover will usually happen within 5 working days, unless a different date has been agreed with you. You have 14 days from the day after your contract start date to change your mind (your “cooling off period”). Faster switching means that you now have the option to choose to start being supplied before the end of your cooling off period but if you do choose to be supplied during your cooling off period you can still leave us before the end of your cooling off period but you will have to pay for the energy and any other services you use until the date you switch away.

Please read our Faster Switching Policy for more information.

Hope this helps. 

Hi all,

Having huge difficulties in trying to switch over to OVO and I’m not sure if their customer service is a bit of a joke or not?

I first called on Friday 1st March to make a switch to Ovo Energy and I spoke to a lady in the customer service department who help me set up the account and the switch would take place on 6th March. I later received an email to tell me that the switch has been cancelled.

I called back on Monday 4th March and I spoke to another lady to run through the details again to set up my account. After a while, she confirmed that the account has been set up and the switch would take place on Friday 8th March and that I would receive at call at 10:30am to discuss installation of a Smart Metre. I received no confirmation emails or any alerts today to tell me that the switch has gone ahead and I called at 10:45am to see what had gone on. 

I was told by a lady that the switch was cancelled by EDF (my current supplier) on Wednesday 6th March. I have been going back and forth, being passed from department to department (some department called Apollo??) to establish what the problem is and I have been on the line to your customer service teams for almost 3 hours with no success. We attempted to switch again where the customer service lady who mentioned that it has all gone through and the switch should go ahead on Monday 11th March (today).

I have again called to check, which I was told the transfer was cancelled again without any notification. So spending another 2 hours on the phone to establish the problem, I also called my current supplier who informed me that I had no outstanding balance on my account and that there has been no requests to transfer to another supplier from OVO, if there have been any rejections I would receive an email from EDF confirming and informing me. I am now waiting to receive a call back from another customer service agent from OVO after they are “looking into things on their end” and not hopeful I will receive a call.

My questions to everyone are:

1. Is OVO customer service an actual joke?
  2. Has anybody had any problems like this in the past? And if so, what did they do to resolve this?

Thanks all

Managed to receive a call back from

an email I sent… Apparently OVO are not taking on new customers until 1st April. I sent some serious BS with this statement as this will be a very busy period for switches, especially due to decrease in energy costs. 

Apparently I have to wait until 1st April. Not sure why I’ve only been told now. 

Anyone else having this issue?

Userlevel 7

Hey @KarYau92,

I’m sorry for the issues you’ve had,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Hello

I've got a bit of a weird and technical question to ask so here goes 

I'm currently with EDF for gas, today I called them as the house I've just moved into was supplied by them previously and so I've setup a new move in account with them and opted for direct debit payments via a fixed contract but I've got a 14 day cool off period with them as of today but they're quoting me £xx amount for gas per month based off pervious meter readings. 

I'm currently with Boost Energy for electricity and it's pay as you go as that's all they offer, I've setup an account with them and got a welcome pack winging it's way to me with a top up card and I've managed to successfully top up £10 today (although when I did top up the power cut off and I had to restore power to the house via the meter although there was a balance of £8 on the electricity meter already which was... Well weird)

I've been looking at Ovo energy for both Gas and electricity and I've had a quote just now for £98 for both gas and electric via direct debit, (EDF is asking for xx amount just for gas alone and there's no way I'm going to only use £20 electricity a month which if you add the 20 to what EDF are charging me for gas it matches the quote to give you an idea what my gas is per month.. so the quote was amazing value) what I ideally need to know is that although I've just joined and setup an account with EDF and setup a direct debit for £xx per month for gas can I switch to OVO from both EDF and Boost energy and take advantage of the £98 I've been quoted?

I'm fully prepared to pay EDF the monthly charge if that's what they want for the month (I moved in on the 8th) I just really want to save as much money with energy as the next person and paying £98 a month for both gas and electric is too good an offer to turn down considering everywhere else is quoting me £140+

I hope i can switch by maybe cancelling with EDF as I have 14 days cool off and as boost is basically Ovo I'd imagine that wouldn't be much bother.., can you guys help in anyway possible, it's my first rental property and thus my first time with energy suppliers so I'm a newbie at this. 

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Travis-Clegg ,

This shouldn’t be too difficult. For the Electric, please call Boost Support and ask them to migrate you to OVO Pay Monthly - they should deal with the rest from there.

For the Gas, please call 0330 303 5063 and set that up over the phone - make sure to let the agent know you’re also moving the Electric over from Boost and they should be able to start you off with a Gas-Only account to begin with, since the Electric can be linked to it later.

If you start the process now, you’ll escape the EDF exit fee. You don’t need to tell EDF either - OVO will do that for you. :)

Thankyou for replying Blastoise, I'll follow your advice to the letter, my only question is that if I do the things you've mentioned seperarly such as calling boost and then calling the number you mentioned and setting up a gas only account will I still be taking advantage of the quote I was given when entering my details on the Ovo website, as I don't want to miss the £98 a month deal and be paying more or less what I'm already paying, if you understand my point 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup! You should be able to take advantage of it.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Travis-Clegg 

Glad to see one of our volunteers Blastoise186 has already jumped on with some really helpful advice. He’s spot on from what I’ve been able to check with the team, you should be able to call and complete this - all including your quote.

Keep us updated with how you get on.

That's excellent news I'll be calling first thing tomorrow to switch, thanks for all your help 

Hello @Abby_OVO @Blastoise186 ive called boost this morning and they are saying to me because I've moved in on the 8th of May I need to of been with boost for 30 days before I can migrate to Ovo, I'm not too sure what to do about this now because if I don't move from EDF to Ovo as soon as possible I won't be able to escape the exit free with EDF as I'd have to wait 30 days, should I call and move my gas account over to Ovo today and then move my energy account over in 30 days? And if I do it that way will I still be able to get my quote even though it's going to be 30 days till I move from boost to Ovo, quite confusing

Thanks 

I've spoke to Ovo energy pay monthly department and they have filled in a form for me that requests EDF to transfer my gas over to Ovo which can take 4 to 6 weeks to do, I'm not entirely sure if in that 4 to 6 week time frame I'm going to be charged an exit fee from EDF but I'm assuming I would have to keep paying the £79 per month to EDF while the request is taking its 4 to 6 weeks to complete, boost have said that I have to wait 30 days before I can change to Ovo pay monthly so I guess I will call them back in 30 days and do that which by then I have hopefully switched or almost switched to Ovo pay monthly for my gas, that's at least what I'm getting from all of this I thought it would of been a different outcome or a similar one to what @Blastoise186 mentioned but that's not the case it seems

Thanks