F.A.Q.

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Show first post

133 replies

Hi, I have an economy 7 meter in a rural property. I was told I needed to switch to a smart meter because of the RTS shutdown in March 24. The engineer who came to fit the smart meter said there was not a good enough/no signal for a smart meter and told me I needed a heritage meter. What is a heritage meter and how would that differ to what I have already? Would I still get economy 7 with a heritage meter and does it not rely on the RTS?

Thank you!

Hi,  did you get anywhere with this? My mum is in the same situation and tried to have a smart meter fitted but the engineer said there was no signal and would not be able to fit a smart meter. So I'm not sure who to turn to for help. Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s another 12 months yet. Please advise which county she’s in as that may help us offer advice.

There’s another 12 months yet. Please advise which county she’s in as that may help us offer advice.

She lives in Pembrokeshire, West Wales. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That area is in the Southern Territory, so it may be possible to get a link via the MESH Connection if anyone else in the area is enabled for it.

I will see if I can find out what coverage is like in that county, but I can’t promise anything as I have to get OVO’s permission to do that.

She lives in Pembrokeshire, West Wales. 

Any news on my ecconomy10 im also in Pembrokeshire, West Wales ? 

Im not letting them force me to change to a smart meter because our signal is so poor they will be a waste of time as wont work properly 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Economy 10 is not currently supported on Smart Meters. It MIGHT happen, or it might NOT happen. If it’s the latter, you’ll have to consider an alternative tariff.

Economy 10 is not currently supported on Smart Meters. It MIGHT happen, or it might NOT happen. If it’s the latter, you’ll have to consider an alternative tariff.

I cant though as need ecconomy10 for my convector heaters 

There not storage heaters so i need the ecconomy10 to use them at cheap rate as there like putting a hot knife through butter as regarding electric usage outside the ecconomy10 times

Ecconomy7 is of no use unless i stay awake all night and sleep all day if you understand what i mean ? 

I know we have untill 2025 so im hoping somebody gets a petition to ask the bbc to sort out the radio waves for millions on ecconomy10 & ecconomy7 that rely on them waves to continue to stay warm 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The RTS Service is not likely to be extended again - it’s already been extended multiple times. Additionally, the valves at Droitwich Transmission Station only have a limited service life remaining and there are no spares left. Once they go bang - and they will - that’s it, game over, thanks for playing. The BBC and Arqiva have made their position clear - they will not fix the system once it finally breaks. And with no ability to manufacture replacement valves anymore, it’s a case of when, not if they’ll blow.

The BBC are NOT involved in the new system. Petitioning them won’t do anything useful.

Oh, and as it so happens, I’ve visited The Horns of Droitwich many times over the years. Never been allowed inside for obvious reasons, but I’ve been to them. Pretty old equipment is rumoured to be inside. All of that will have to be swapped out eventually.

The RTS Service is not likely to be extended again - it’s already been extended multiple times. Additionally, the valves at Droitwich Transmission Station only have a limited service life remaining and there are no spares left. Once they go bang - and they will - that’s it, game over, thanks for playing. The BBC and Arqiva have made their position clear - they will not fix the system once it finally breaks. And with no ability to manufacture replacement valves anymore, it’s a case of when, not if they’ll blow.

The BBC are NOT involved in the new system. Petitioning them won’t do anything useful.

We can but wish & keep everything crossed as without heat theres not much chance for servival really 

Im not the only person theres millions they will risk the possability of becoming ill through no heating or worse death 

They act like they dont care about those who rely on these waves the disabled the elderly those who can not afford to have new heating systems installed because there in private rents or on benefits 

They need to look at the bigger picture really not condem ppl to a life of no heat 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately, there is no keeping the old system either.

Smart Meters have become far more capable and I’m in a unique position where the industry has allowed me to get more insights than most customers would, despite not working in the industry myself.

I know for a fact that people like yourself are very much being considered as to how to migrate you in the best possible way. It’s being worked on and there will be emergency measures available if push comes to shove.

Unfortunately, there is no keeping the old system either.

Smart Meters have become far more capable and I’m in a unique position where the industry has allowed me to get more insights than most customers would, despite not working in the industry myself.

I know for a fact that people like yourself are very much being considered as to how to migrate you in the best possible way. It’s being worked on and there will be emergency measures available if push comes to shove.

Problem is though smart meters dont work here my neighbour who lives in my same block of 4 accross the hallway from me they have one its never worked ever they have demanded the removal but the supplyer refused to remove it so theres issues with there readings as there all elec as well and has convector heaters

Theres a flat in the nxt row accross from our row one flat has that new air pump thing which runs on ecconomy7 & theres will also stop working & there the newest electric heating 

My son lives in a diff building but also same area & yup his dont work either he has to constantly log into his supplyer app & give his elec readings but his gas automatically updates itself 

So clearly them smart meters arnt very smart up here simply because we only have 1 phone mast and thats right down in town down a big hill so us living up that hill and others who live hown another hill further away were all in a black spot no mobile phone signals and even down in town 1 bar so issues with connections needed for them smart meters to run fully 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There are solutions for that, namely the Mesh Network option. It uses the meters to relay the signal back to a stronger area, boosting coverage into areas that otherwise don’t have it.

There are solutions for that, namely the Mesh Network option. It uses the meters to relay the signal back to a stronger area, boosting coverage into areas that otherwise don’t have it.

I have mesh eero 6 x2 for my fibre to home but i dont know if thats what you mean ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Similar concept, but a different implementation. And not as powerful as my mesh setup - Ubiquiti UniFi smokes most other Mesh Wi-Fi setups on both speed and range - especially when set up just right. :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Angelbabe1uk Just butting in here: the neighbour with the air pump (presume you mean air source heat pump) doesn’t need it to run on economy 7. It’s best run 24/7 like a fridge, that’s basically the same kind of machine. It is most efficient when it’s running in a ‘steady state’ so not turned off at all, just run ‘low and slow’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Indeed. Economy 7 is one of the worst possible tariffs for Heat Pumps. In actual fact, it’s ONLY suitable if the vast majority of your energy usage is overnight. For basically any other use case, you shouldn’t be on it.

As for removing Smart Meters and downgrading? Sorry, not going to happen - there’s no downgrade path and once it’s installed you are committed to keeping it.

Indeed. Economy 7 is one of the worst possible tariffs for Heat Pumps. In actual fact, it’s ONLY suitable if the vast majority of your energy usage is overnight. For basically any other use case, you shouldn’t be on it.

As for removing Smart Meters and downgrading? Sorry, not going to happen - there’s no downgrade path and once it’s installed you are committed to keeping it.

I was told by ovo that you can have smart meters removed but only if there not working and there no longer allowed to force ppl into getting one fitted unless theres an accumulated debt on the account 

Luckly my accounts paid by dd monthly at £76 a month where as b4 our gov messed things with russia and we lost our cheaper energy my dd was only £49 a month 

I used to get the warm home discount but again our gov ruined that and stopped ppl living alone in flats from getting it so harder on us come the winter months as were all electric that warm home discount used to take a chunk out of my elec costs through winter 

Ive told ovo im holding out till the signal finally goes off 🙏🤞 they do it while in cheap rate then our eccon10 & eccon7 stay in cheap rate indeffernatly 🤣 

They stopped trying to bully me into getting one of them smart meters because for the time being they dont work with my eccon10 and im not changing untill my meter stops working 😉 and even then im refusing one until they bring out better meters that work up in dead spots 

My son is arguing with eon to get his removed as not fit for purpose as they have never worked for his elec & is hit & miss with his gas now too his meter often goes offline causing his supplyer to think its being tampered with they have changed it multiple times and all end up the same way just like my neighbours in my block has with theres also so there not smart meters thats for sure more like dumb meters 🤣 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ive told ovo im holding out till the signal finally goes off 🙏🤞 they do it while in cheap rate then our eccon10 & eccon7 stay in cheap rate indeffernatly 🤣 

That would technically be considered Fraud on your part, and possibly borderline Abstracting Electricity.

It’s unlikely that you’d get away with that trick anyway. If the readings seem dodgy, OVO has the power to dig deeper to find out why. If it’s because you deliberately abused a meter that was stuck on the Off-Peak rate, OVO could just forcibly replace the meter and then issue a catch-up type bill to charge you for what you used but hadn’t paid for properly.

It’s more likely, however, that the meter will be replaced before that point… Unless you want to gamble with it being stuck in Peak rates and you can’t run heating/hot water?

Also, even if you’re allowed to request removal of a Smart Meter, what exactly do you expect to go back to? Stocks of Traditional Meters have pretty much depleted to zero now - and you can’t go back to the meter you had before because they almost always get destroyed after being returned from the field. So, what would you go back to?

That would technically be considered Fraud on your part, and possibly borderline Abstracting Electricity.

It’s unlikely that you’d get away with that trick anyway. If the readings seem dodgy, OVO has the power to dig deeper to find out why. If it’s because you deliberately abused a meter that was stuck on the Off-Peak rate, OVO could just forcibly replace the meter and then issue a catch-up type bill to charge you for what you used but hadn’t paid for properly.

It’s more likely, however, that the meter will be replaced before that point… Unless you want to gamble with it being stuck in Peak rates and you can’t run heating/hot water?

Also, even if you’re allowed to request removal of a Smart Meter, what exactly do you expect to go back to? Stocks of Traditional Meters have pretty much depleted to zero now - and you can’t go back to the meter you had before because they almost always get destroyed after being returned from the field. So, what would you go back to?

It wouldnt be fraud because its not me that did it if it happened 🤣 i said im hoping it happends not im going to make it happen 🤣 i cant even change a plug socket by myself so im not stupid enough to try tampering with a meter 🤣 be cool if it did do that though 🤣 and id be not the only one to say it neither theres millions like me will suffer when the radio waves are switched off why they have to beats me as a lot of ppl arnt in the digital age they still use old radios that use that to work  but no doubt they wilk soon come out with yet another flop meter in the future like the so called smart ones are now 

We change as we progress through life and when our bodies are old and frail they give up just like everything electrical really and when body parts fail there replaced with newer parts & continue for many yrs like changing electrical parts but everything has its sell by date and when reached it is no more 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, the “millions” you refer to is not necessarily quite as many as you might think these days. Absolutely tons of progress has been made on migrating Economy 7 to Smart Meters.

I’ve also just received the latest statistics from the industry via DCC just this morning.

There are a total of about 25.2 million dwellings in the UK. Out of those, 18,116,627 are now on the DCC Network with a total of 18,578,469 SMETS2 and 11,582,066 SMETS1 Meters connected - and a reported 76,199,597 connected devices in total.

With an average daily connection rate reported as 15,888 at the moment that’s a LOT of progress. The report also indicates that the WAN coverage is now up to 99.3% of all premises.

So I’d say the numbers on Traditional Meters are tumbling fast. It is 100% true that not all of the remaining ones are RTS Meters either, you’re talking maybe around 1-2 million MPANs at most, but probably less.

Actually, the “millions” you refer to is not necessarily quite as many as you might think these days. Absolutely tons of progress has been made on migrating Economy 7 to Smart Meters.

I’ve also just received the latest statistics from the industry via DCC just this morning.

There are a total of about 25.2 million dwellings in the UK. Out of those, 18,116,627 are now on the DCC Network with a total of 18,578,469 SMETS2 and 11,582,066 SMETS1 Meters connected - and a reported 76,199,597 connected devices in total.

With an average daily connection rate reported as 15,888 at the moment that’s a LOT of progress. The report also indicates that the WAN coverage is now up to 99.3% of all premises.

So I’d say the numbers on Traditional Meters are tumbling fast. It is 100% true that not all of the remaining ones are RTS Meters either, you’re talking maybe around 1-2 million MPANs at most, but probably less.

Still 1-2 Million then 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can try to find the latest numbers, but last time I looked I get the feeling it was less than that.

Please can anyone tell me if this is a Radio Teleswitch meter?  I can see another box next to it. Although the meter says EDF Energy Networks Ltd, our current supplier is OVO.

Please can anyone tell me if this is a Radio Teleswitch meter?  I can see another box next to it. Although the meter says EDF Energy Networks Ltd, our current supplier is OVO.

Sorry, I meant I can’t see another box next to it. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, that’s not an RTS meter. It’s a simple ‘budgie’ meter, totalising kWh.