F.A.Q.

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Show first post

133 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If we can’t see another box next to the meter, we unfortunately can’t give a clear answer.

Please post more photos showing the entire meter backboard and everything around the meter.

Please can anyone tell me if this is a Radio Teleswitch meter?  I can see another box next to it. Although the meter says EDF Energy Networks Ltd, our current supplier is OVO.

No, that’s not an RTS meter. It’s a simple ‘budgie’ meter, totalising kWh. 

Thank you for confirming.

If we can’t see another box next to the meter, we unfortunately can’t give a clear answer.

Please post more photos showing the entire meter backboard and everything around the meter.

Will do asap, thanks Blastoise186.

Will do asap, thanks Blastoise186.

Hope this is not too blurry to make out. Thanks for your help with this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks, that helps a lot. Just wanted to let you know that we’ve had two new Forum Moderators join this week and I’d like to help show them the ropes a bit of the queries we get here. This shouldn’t disrupt the advice I give you, but I’d like to let @Christopher_OVO and @Shads_OVO take a peek at this too.

I can confirm that you DO indeed have an RTS Meter. I can tell because the device in the top-right corner is a Radio Teleswitch. As such, you are affected by the RTS Shutdown.  You appear to be on Economy 7 but I can’t tell which Group Code you’re on - though that’s not too big a deal based on your question.

Also, I note that your existing meter is 20 years old and therefore is up for Recertification, based on your Meter Serial Number being a D04 and with the certification stamp of March 2004. Please note that if you leave the current meter in place, its accuracy going forward can’t be guaranteed.

I’d recommend you get that booked in to be replaced sooner rather than later. If you’re happy to try it now, check out https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com and that tool should help you get this booked in. It’s free because OVO will cover the cost on your behalf.

I have a pay as you go economy 7 meter which was installed after I tried as pay as you go small meter which stopped working and my hot water also stopped working. I was told that smart meters aren’t completely with economy 7 and that the signal didn’t work in my area anyway. My concern is that the all electric heating and hot water will stop working when the radio teleswitch signal is switched off. Also I want to remain on pay as you go. 

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks, that helps a lot. Just wanted to let you know that we’ve had two new Forum Moderators join this week and I’d like to help show them the ropes a bit of the queries we get here. This shouldn’t disrupt the advice I give you, but I’d like to let @Christopher_OVO and @Shads_OVO take a peek at this too.

I can confirm that you DO indeed have an RTS Meter. I can tell because the device in the top-right corner is a Radio Teleswitch. As such, you are affected by the RTS Shutdown.  You appear to be on Economy 7 but I can’t tell which Group Code you’re on - though that’s not too big a deal based on your question.

Also, I note that your existing meter is 20 years old and therefore is up for Recertification, based on your Meter Serial Number being a D04 and with the certification stamp of March 2004. Please note that if you leave the current meter in place, its accuracy going forward can’t be guaranteed.

I’d recommend you get that booked in to be replaced sooner rather than later. If you’re happy to try it now, check out https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com and that tool should help you get this booked in. It’s free because OVO will cover the cost on your behalf.

Thank you, you have an impressive grasp of energy meters! Thank you for the link and I shall get the work booked right away.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have a pay as you go economy 7 meter which was installed after I tried as pay as you go small meter which stopped working and my hot water also stopped working. I was told that smart meters aren’t completely with economy 7 and that the signal didn’t work in my area anyway. My concern is that the all electric heating and hot water will stop working when the radio teleswitch signal is switched off. Also I want to remain on pay as you go. 

Can anyone please advise?

Smart meters can cope with E7 in many circumstances but it would depend on several other factors. 
For the RTS part, the switch off has been pushed out and as far as I’m aware, even without the signal, things would keep working , just at the same switching points as before. 
They will need replacing though, at some point.