F.A.Q.

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Show first post

133 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It might be that both are moving, but one got there first. I don’t work for OVO and can’t access the accounts though.

Userlevel 2

Thread Bump.

Any further news on PolyPhase Smart meter availability for domestic two phase dwellings ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Already exists :)

OVO is rolling it out right now, but availability is HEAVILY dependent on trained engineers being in your area.

Userlevel 2

Already exists :)

OVO is rolling it out right now, but availability is HEAVILY dependent on trained engineers being in your area.

OK, is there a special route to enquire, or a magic ‘trigger word’ without having to  go through the rigmarole of trying to explain yet again the complex conditions?

My mother is still with SSE, not been migrated to OVO yet, might it be easier to wait for that to happen first ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nope, standard routes apply. Just go to https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com and apply as normal. OVO’s teams will notice it’s a Polyphase setup and rebook it in the background.

Your mother will need to wait to be moved to OVO first. The SSE brand is going away at the end of October, so it won’t be much longer.

Userlevel 2

Nope, standard routes apply. Just go to https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com and apply as normal. OVO’s teams will notice it’s a Polyphase setup and rebook it in the background.

Your mother will need to wait to be moved to OVO first. The SSE brand is going away at the end of October, so it won’t be much longer.

Ok, thanks @Blastoise186 .  I really didn’t want this done in the winter, because for obvious reasons, no one will know whether the install is working properly until the next morning !  Unless the installers have some means to trigger the switching ad-hoc ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There are a LOT of checks and balances. If the upgrade is impossible, it gets cancelled without being done. If commissioning doesn’t finish, the meter just runs like a normal one with all circuits live 24/7.

Userlevel 2

There are a LOT of checks and balances. If the upgrade is impossible, it gets cancelled without being done. If commissioning doesn’t finish, the meter just runs like a normal one with all circuits live 24/7.

OK, thanks again 👍🏻. Anyway, I’ll make damn sure I’m there the day it happens !

I’ll get on the case the moment she is migrated to OVO.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

np. If needed, the ECAUL and ALCS configs can be remotely pushed via SMETS Command as well without the need for a second engineer visit. Fixes almost all time switching issues within an hour.

Userlevel 2

I’ve lived in the same house for almost two years, and have recently found out I have both a single watt meter and a radio teleswitch meter in the house. I’ve submitted readings from the single-watt meter regularly since moving in and never bothered with the teleswitch, as my housing association never told me otherwise. I’m now contacting my supplier (Octopus) to register for a smart meter but I’m scared that I should’ve been submitting readings for the teleswitch as well this whole time and that I’m now in lots of debt. Can anyone shed light on the situation? I’ve attached images of both meters. The teleswitch says ‘no load’ which I’m not sure means anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think you need to discuss that with Octopus I’m afraid - this heavily depends on their policies.

No Load is exactly what it says on the tin - the meter isn’t seeing anything going through it.

Userlevel 2

Noted, I’ve contacted Octopus about this and am waiting on a response, so I thought I’d try and get some advice while I wait. Do you think it’s possible for me to be in debt/trouble as a result of this meter? I really don’t understand it, apologies if it’s a silly question

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I don’t think so. I suspect the worst is that you’ve got a ton of estimated reads that will have contributed towards paying something off. You might even end up with a massive refund!

With that being said, Octopus is not really equipped to deal with whatever tariff configuration your meters were supposed to be used with...

Userlevel 2

Duly noted, thank you! There’s also a possibility that the radio teleswitch isn’t doing much at all, as when I first moved in there was lots of confusion regarding what kind of meter I had and Bulb (my then provider,) ended up saying I owed them £7,000! obviously they realised they’d mucked up (they’d charged me for the previous tenants energy,) but it’s possible that before I moved in the previous tenant switched meters and didn’t remove the teleswitch, which maybe contributed to the muck up. It’s all speculation though, I’ll wait for Octopus to respond and keep an eye on it. Thank you for the help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. :)

Unfortunately, only a handful of suppliers actually know the full ins and outs of the meter setup that I think you’ve got and Octopus isn’t one of them.

Userlevel 7

Hey @bbriii,

If they are charging for that meter, it would be based on estimates if no actual reading are submitted. If it says ‘no load’ I assume that no energy is passing through that meter. 

Your energy supplier will be able to advise further, it may be that the meter is no longer in use and can be removed, so that you’re no longer charged standing charge.

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Duly noted, thank you! There’s also a possibility that the radio teleswitch isn’t doing much at all, as when I first moved in there was lots of confusion regarding what kind of meter I had and Bulb (my then provider,) ended up saying I owed them £7,000! obviously they realised they’d mucked up (they’d charged me for the previous tenants energy,) but it’s possible that before I moved in the previous tenant switched meters and didn’t remove the teleswitch, which maybe contributed to the muck up. It’s all speculation though, I’ll wait for Octopus to respond and keep an eye on it. Thank you for the help!

@bbriii did you get  a response from Octopus?

Userlevel 2

Hi, I got in contact with them and they didn’t seem to have any concerns or issues around the teleswitch, they helped remove a meter from my account that didn’t actually exist at the property and are now processing some credit refunds and meter readings for me, so everything seems good! I reminded them that I may need a smart meter installed before March 2024 as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi, I got in contact with them and they didn’t seem to have any concerns or issues around the teleswitch, they helped remove a meter from my account that didn’t actually exist at the property and are now processing some credit refunds and meter readings for me, so everything seems good! I reminded them that I may need a smart meter installed before March 2024 as well.

@bbriii I see Octopus are encouraging RTS customers to register for a smart meter

https://octopus.energy/help-and-faqs/articles/radio-teleswitch-service-rts/

Userlevel 2

Hi, yes; I’ve already registered my interest and am simply waiting for an appointment slot to open in my area, I’ve also gotten permission from my landlord for changing the meters over whenever it is eventually offered to me.

Hi, I have an economy 7 meter in a rural property. I was told I needed to switch to a smart meter because of the RTS shutdown in March 24. The engineer who came to fit the smart meter said there was not a good enough/no signal for a smart meter and told me I needed a heritage meter. What is a heritage meter and how would that differ to what I have already? Would I still get economy 7 with a heritage meter and does it not rely on the RTS?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @APHM ,

Long story short, Heritage Economy 7 Meters would be the ones with local timeswitches that don’t use RTS. They’re sometimes known here as legacy meters.

Heritage Meters are no longer being installed by any supplier known to this forum.

Thank you, that’s helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge

… there was not a good enough/no signal for a smart meter …

Whereabouts are you? The code from this map will do.

Do you have any neighbours at all, within a mile or two? Do you know whether any of them has a working smart meter? If so, is any of them with OVO (or SSE)?

I ask because there is a way for smart meters to piggyback on nearby properties’ signals, but it does require slightly different hardware at (I think) both ‘master’ and ‘slave’ sites. It’s not certain that the engineer would have considered this approach. Read about this solution here.

Thanks, I’m in area 22 - Cornwall. I will check with neighbours and see if that’s possible. If it isn’t OVO has suggested a ‘dumb’ smart meter but I’m not sure I can get economy 7 with this.