F.A.Q.

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Show first post

133 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

There’s really no such thing as a dumb smart meter; it’s only an ordinary smart meter that’s dumb because it can’t talk. If you’re already on an Economy 7 tariff, the installing engineer should know that and make sure he has the right sort of meter with him. 

If you manage to find suitable mesh partners, it’s just the communications hub (usually on top of the meter itself) that has to be changed.

Thank you. That’s good to know. I’ll get back to OVO to try to sort this out.

Userlevel 7

Keep us posted with how you get on @APHM 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge

One great advantage of forums like this is that someone somewhere has probably had the same question as you and - with any luck - found an answer. I remembered after making my last post that we’d had a question from another customer in a similar situation not long ago. We can sometimes capitalize on this sort of ‘corporate history’, so let’s try.

First, I’m going to tag @John-in-Cornwall here just in case he found a solution to his WAN problem and is willing to share it with you (and us!). I’ll also ask whether he has any update to share in his own thread. 

Second, if that doesn’t work, you should have the ability to contact him direct through the forum’s private messaging system. 

Here’s hoping 🙂

Userlevel 1

Thread readers may be interested to learn that the RTS shutdown date has now been extended to March 2025, according to the ENA:

Radio teleswitch – Energy Networks Association (ENA)

Suppliers will have to increase their rate of RTS meter replacement by around an order of magnitude (there were over 930,000 RTS meters live just three months ago - Metering data from the Trading Operations Report - Elexon BSC and the current rate of replacement is about 10,000 per month) to meet the new deadline.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is really disappointing but as expected. We are stuck with THTC meters and OVO charging whatever they want for ANOTHER year.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thread readers may be interested to learn that the RTS shutdown date has now been extended to March 2025, according to the ENA:

Radio teleswitch – Energy Networks Association (ENA)

Suppliers will have to increase their rate of RTS meter replacement by around an order of magnitude (there were over 930,000 RTS meters live just three months ago - Metering data from the Trading Operations Report - Elexon BSC and the current rate of replacement is about 10,000 per month) to meet the new deadline.

Ofgem are reporting a big difference between suppliers as well, some have replaced over 75% of their RTS meters , other suppliers less than 10%

Am not sure where ovo sits between those percentages

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/open-letter-smart-meter-installations-prepayment-and-radio-teleswitch-customers

It is difficult to see how there will be a step change in installations, especially given ovo were fined due to the lack of their smart meter installations generally.

A big step up is needed.

I have an ecconomy10 digital new type meter does this mean it will still work when the radio waves are shut down nxt year? 

I need ecconomy10 to continue or ill freeze as my electric heaters are convector heaters that i have on timers for my eccon10 times 

Eccon7 is of no use to me as i cant be up all night to stay warm 

I also use my high usage electrical items during the eccon10 times cooker/washer/dryer/dishwasher ect 

I cant have any smart meter it wont work here as out elec meters are not in our flats there out in the hallway to our flats in a thick double walled cubord around 100 feet from our flats so the smart meters will be effectivly be dumb meters plus our mobile phone signals here which run the smart meters are very poor so wont work properly my son has this issue in his flat down the road from me thats how i know plus my neighbour in my same block has issues too

So will my ecconomy10 digital meter still work like it is now? 

There clearly not thinking about us who need the ecconomy10 to live heat & eat & im 60 too so get cold quickly so i need my heaters to be able to run in them hrs 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I need to see photos of the existing meter first @Angelbabe1uk , along with everything near to it.

I dont think its allowing my pic

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You may need to get the Forum Moderators to assist. Please email it to forum@ovoenergy.com .

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Try using the image icon (top right) 

I need to see photos of the existing meter first @Angelbabe1uk , along with everything near to it.

Thats what im trying all i get is a spining lot of dots in a circle

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thats what im trying all i get is a spining lot of dots in a circle

Sounds like the image may be too large. Try Blastoise’s solution

Its named a E150 single phase watt hour meter solid state if thats any help 

Its all white with a digital display and a blue push button to check readings

And i have a huge grey box nxt to it with a switch 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That is not an E10 meter. Are you sure you’re on E10? I need to see photos - model numbers alone are unreliable

That is not an E10 meter. Are you sure you’re on E10? I need to see photos - model numbers alone are unreliable

Its an eccon10 ive been on it yrs and my bills say its eccon10

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Well, I have to go on assumptions in that case.

Long story short, do NOT rely on your current setup continuing to work. You need to get it upgraded by the time RTS gets shut down.

If you can provide photos, I can make my advice more accurate

Meter serial is D15CO2478

Meter serial is D15CO2478

https://images.app.goo.gl/7My4gSCZMKSWAuSe8 this is exact same as mine

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see.

You can get Smart Meters even if the mobile signal is weak - there are options like Mesh networking that’ll make it work. The distance to your property from the meter is also irrelevant - that only affects the IHD, not the meter.

I see.

You can get Smart Meters even if the mobile signal is weak - there are options like Mesh networking that’ll make it work. The distance to your property from the meter is also irrelevant - that only affects the IHD, not the meter.

Smart meters dont run on ecconomy10 only ecconomy7 i have to have ecconomy10 to be able to use my convector heaters as there not storage type