F.A.Q.

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Radio teleswitch (RTS) shutdown sunset FAQ

Show first post

133 replies

Is it true that the RTS is being switched off in March 2023?

I have a RTS with two meters on a 2 phase supply due to having a warm air unit (10.5kwh) and five night storage heaters (10 kwh) and a water heater (max 6 kwh)

SSE say they cannot fit a smart meter because I have a 2 phase supply being metered.

Can anyone help me please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @lob184 ,

You may be in luck sooner or later. OVO is starting to roll out Three-Phase SMETS2 Smart Meters in low volumes at the moment, with a view to widening the availability as time passes. These meters are completely capable of taking on a 2-Phase Supply (and tons of other combos!). I’ve had confirmation of this previously from one of the OVO/SSE Smart Meter Engineers who I know well.

Hang in there a bit longer! I’ll ask @Tim_OVO to register your interest as well.

And yes, it is true that the RTS Service is shutting down sooner or later, but might now have to be delayed a bit longer.

Userlevel 7

Yes indeed, @lob184 check out this similar topic:

This was the advice earlier in the year (I’ll add you to my list to contact when this is rolled out to all regions):

As of August 2022, we're currently in a pilot, and will be contacting pilot-eligible customers (OVO customers on single rate tariffs) over the next few weeks and months. We are working with a select number of trained engineers around the country therefore we unfortunately can't install to just any willing participant (as much as we wish we could). Our advice is to make sure your contact details are up to date in your OVO account so that our teams can reach you.

Thank you both for all your help

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. We’ll be here if you need us for anything else!

Userlevel 2

Is it true that the RTS is being switched off in March 2023?

Page 9 of this report suggests the switch off is certainly going to be delayed

https://www.elexon.co.uk/documents/groups/pab/2022-meetings/260-september/pab260-08a-risk-evaluation-register-2023-2024/

I was told by SSE/OVO my mother will require a 3 Phase Smart Meter, but they currently have no ‘bandwidth’ to do anything until next Spring/Summer. Which suits me (her) just fine, it would be insane to attempt what will be a complex task in the dead of winter !

Userlevel 1

I have had it confirmed by Ofgem that the RTS arrangements have been extended and will remain in place until 31st March 2024.

Hopefully this extension will allow suppliers to develop and roll out acceptable replacement solutions for customers with “complex” (e.g. three phase) installations and also that Ofgem will monitor how things are going to determine whether the new shutdown date will be achievable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can confirm that OVO is definitely working on a Smart Meter based upgrade for RTS. I’ve seen it myself a few months ago.

Three-Phase isn’t “Complex” by itself though for the purposes of RTS, but that too is being worked on. OVO has started to rollout SMETS2 Three-Phase Smart Meters in limited numbers.

Userlevel 1

Just seen your recent comment. Smart meter based system for RTS - can you expand? May be a game changer?? 

still no contact from SSE on the switch off or a letter saying you need to take action. However I don’t really see why I need too. 

and levels of customer who have something with an RTS (all over the uk but Highlands and Islands especially) will need major support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s already here! The idea is that Smart Meters would be able to basically fulfil the same role that RTS used to do - and it already works great for Economy 7.

If you do not get the upgrade, RTS service will eventually fail which may prevent your meter from working as intended.

Userlevel 1

Interesting 

could be a future for THTC / Superdeal etc yet then? Especially as in load managed areas it’s difficult to change from the likes of THTC to even something like E10. 

would be interested to know if it could cope with the variability of THTC (I.e where you have between 5 and 12 hours off peak and the constant 24 hour off peak as well) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

THTC Support on Smart Meters is in development and OVO is currently working on that one - I’ve seen it myself.

It won’t involve twin element meters and it will only be one meter rather than two, in order to make it far less complicated. But again, it won’t use RTS - it’ll be controlled directly by the meter and where needed, remotely by SMETS Commands.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As far as I’m aware however… Superdeal is dead. It probably won’t survive the transition to Smart Meters

Userlevel 2

THTC Support on Smart Meters is in development and OVO is currently working on that one - I’ve seen it myself.

It won’t involve twin element meters and it will only be one meter rather than two, in order to make it far less complicated. But again, it won’t use RTS - it’ll be controlled directly by the meter and where needed, remotely by SMETS Commands.

Interesting, my mother (see my posts from Page 2 onwards in this thread) is on an afternoon boost scheme on the phase controlled by a mechanical timeswitch, and on Ec 7 (I think !) on the phase that is controlled by an RTS. It’s an utter dog’s breakfast, and I doubt the legacy SEB 1960s records, have survived the iterations to SSE, and now to OvO (though at present she is still an SSE branded customer (on quarterly billing) 

Userlevel 1

I have heard though that whatever the meter E9 or a THTC equivalent that THTC will still be twin Mpan so not sure how that will work. As I know the Ovo systems cannot currently support twin mpans 
however whatever replaces it, customers need to be assured that the benefits they have with the current setup remain. Any less and fuel poverty will most definitely increase. 

Userlevel 1

Ps I still only have 1 meter albeit twin element 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I saw examples of the new solution last year while visiting OVO’s head office and got to speak to someone who knows even more than I do. That person confirms that Twin-Element is very unlikely to be part of the new solution to reduce complications and simplify things massively.

Userlevel 2

I’m going round and round in circles trying to sort out my mother’s legacy Teleswitch, Dual Electrical Phase system . Linked here:-

I rang SSE Retail again a couple of weeks ago, and spent another hour going round the same loop I did in October 2023, and despite sending detailed drawings and a report back then, all that seems to have been lost.  They (SSE/OVO) suggested I talk to the DNO, because they claimed the DNO will need to upgrade the supply before they can do anything.

I did speak to the DNO, and sent them my report and drawings, and they confirmed, their involvement is NOT required. My mother has a dual 100 A phase supply, and it needs to stay that way, because of the huge load the Storage Heaters present.  They understood completely what needs to happen, OVO need to replace the time switches, those time-switches are NOT my mother’s property, and she should NOT have to pay any charges to upgrade them. The DNO said that OvO were just trying to palm me off (which I knew all along)...

Can somebody please advise me how on earth I can talk to a ‘Grown Up’ at Ovo to resolve this shambles ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @MarkC63 ,

I’d suggest trying the dedicated team on 0345 071 7972. If you’ve already tried that, the other option is to wait for now as OVO will be in touch to get this sorted out anyway. There just isn’t quite a solution ready for your scenario yet.

Userlevel 2

Hi @MarkC63 ,

I’d suggest trying the dedicated team on 0345 071 7972. If you’ve already tried that, the other option is to wait for now as OVO will be in touch to get this sorted out anyway. There just isn’t quite a solution ready for your scenario yet.

Thanks @Blastoise186   I’ve spent over three hours of my life on 0345 071 7972, so I’m not wasting any more time with that !

I’ll just wait I guess. I’d really wanted this sorted this summer, while my 92 year old mother isn’t relying on her storage heating to be working. I can imagine when someone does turn up it’s not going to be a trivial or quick install job     

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s not as complicated as you might think to do the upgrade itself. You just need to wait for Three-Phase S2 Meters to be available - that’s the real root cause here. OVO is trialling them in small numbers and the rollout will continue.

We’re keeping track of forum members who are interested in this. I’ll get @Tim_OVO to add your name to the list.

Userlevel 7

Hey @MarkC63,

It’s not as complicated as you might think to do the upgrade itself. You just need to wait for Three-Phase S2 Meters to be available - that’s the real root cause here. OVO is trialling them in small numbers and the rollout will continue.

We’re keeping track of forum members who are interested in this. I’ll get @Tim_OVO to add your name to the list.

An update on the availability of Polyphase Smart Meters:

Polyphase (3-Phase) Smart Meters Released! Following the completion of the full pilot at the end of last year, Kaifa polyphase smart meter stock has arrived.

• Single-rate/unrestricted meters only (i.e. no Economy 7 etc.)

• Stock delivered to OVO 10th April so bookings can occur after this date

Contact our Support Team to book in, they’ll then assign the booking to a qualified engineer. 

The next steps will be bookings for Economy 7 Polyphase- we’ll let you know when there is a date for this release.

Userlevel 2

Hey @MarkC63,

We’re keeping track of forum members who are interested in this. I’ll get @Tim_OVO to add your name to the list.

An update on the availability of Polyphase Smart Meters:

Polyphase (3-Phase) Smart Meters Released! Following the completion of the full pilot at the end of last year, Kaifa polyphase smart meter stock has arrived.

• Single-rate/unrestricted meters only (i.e. no Economy 7 etc.)

• Stock delivered to OVO 10th April so bookings can occur after this date

Contact our Support Team to book in, they’ll then assign the booking to a qualified engineer. 

The next steps will be bookings for Economy 7 Polyphase- we’ll let you know when there is a date for this release.

Thank you @Emmanuelle_OVO 

Is there any way I can get my mother’s account , and its Three separate MPRNs (she is still with ‘original’ SSE on quarterly billing) tagged with this issue, so she gets notification etc when  Economy 7 Polyphase is available for an install booking ?

Userlevel 7

Hey @MarkC63,

We’ll update these topics when Economy 7 Polyphase is available 😊 It might also be worth contacting the Support Team so they can put a note on the account. 

Thank you very much, all of you, I feel reassured!  I’ve double-checked my letter and it’s definitely our own home’s THTC account that’s being migrated, not the single-meter holiday cottage, so looks like it’s starting to roll out to the general public.

We’ve been looking at the Quantums for a while, so I think we’ll probably do it. 

Just to add a twist to this, I got an SSE email today to say my direct debit was changing, logged in to have a look at the most recent bill - and the single meter holiday cottage has been moved over to Ovo despite the letter saying it was our own house moving!