Solved

Moved into new property and I owe previous tenants bill, why?

Show first post

163 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @soltaibi1,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

I can see our Community Members have given some really valuable advice here. We wouldn’t set up an account in your name on the word of a third party without seeing a tenancy agreement or speaking directly with the liable party. 

If this third party managed to set up an account in their name, they may have been able to pay your monthly statements via bank transfer. However, I’d be interested to know how they’ve advised you they’re paying if your getting debt collection letters?

If it’s by bank transfer they’d need an account number and your properties postcode for payment reference otherwise the payment would be ‘floating’ in our system unassigned to an account. 

Have you had any letters from OVO in your name or just the name of ‘The Occupier’?

Could you request a refund for them of the money paid so far, and set up an account with OVO? This will give you visibility of your bills, you can submit meter readings and make payments accordingly. Another thought I’ve had is, do we know if they are applying the Energy Bills Support Scheme payments back to your energy account?

If you have gas, please look up your gas supply at https://findmysupplier.energy and tell us what comes back

Hope this helps. 

I've not been an OVO customer ever. I moved in last year and used Octopus. I even did a GDPR right to deletion which OVO refused to do as they simply had to keep my address on file from the previous owner plus they were still at the time covering up their data breach caused by the SES migration.

I have a screenshot from them confirming I wouldn't receive anything from them yet attached is a letter that come today. 

How do I get rid of the bad smell that is OVO? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @8LeggedBeast 

I think i would start by checking that your property hasn't been transferred to ovo in error. 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/finding-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

I don't work for ovo,  i am just a customer. 

You could post a 1 star review on Trustpilot, the ovo staff there can access ovo records

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Also look at the citizens advise page

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/problems-with-your-energy-supply/youve-been-switched-to-a-new-energy-supplier-without-your-agreement/

At the very least as per the citizens advice page

You'll automatically get £30 in compensation from the new supplier. They should pay this within 10 workings days of the date they agree a mistake was made. They'll either send you a cheque or pay directly into your bank account if they have your bank details.

So ask OVO to pay you compensation even for sending the letter. 

If they don't pay within 10 working days, ask for another £30

Finally start a complaint so you can take it to the Energy Ombudsman in 8 weeks if nothing improves. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Userlevel 7

Hey @8LeggedBeast,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages.

Hi I've just recently moved house and set up with my new supplier, however OVO supplied the property before and are trying to make me pay the previous tenants bill. I set up last month and thought it was all sorted but now been told I have 14 days to pay my closing balance but I updated the date I moved in and the meter readings.... surely anything between moving in and moving out isn't mine to pay? Theure obviously sending it to me because the previous tenants haven't closed down their account! Where do I go with this I don't want to create an account as then worried they'll have a way to bill me when I already have an account with my new supplier that I'm happy with

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Shanzl985 . If you have a copy of your tenancy agreement and start date together with the meter reading at that time, that might be a good place to start.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Shanzl985 . If you have a copy of your tenancy agreement and start date together with the meter reading at that time, that might be a good place to start.

Yep great advice here @Shanzl985.

As long as you told OVO when you moved in, we’ll bill you from that date to the date your chosen supplier takes over. 

If we don’t have a forwarding address for the previous tenant, we’ll address our bills to the same property but you can disregard them. Even if addressed to ‘the occupier’, as we’ll have your name on file and will address our letters to you using this. More info in our guide here:

Userlevel 1

I got my new property end of February but moved in march 21st I have just checked mu online account and my bill is almost 3000. 

from the 8th of March to the 22nd March  I have been charged almost 200 pound a day for electric even though I wasn't even in the property.  What is going on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jackie82 , welcome to the customer forum. Did you manage to get a start reading from the meters? It sounds like the readings might be estimated too. Can you see - they should say

Userlevel 1

Hi I never but my account was zero balance when started. My smart meter says only 58 for electric but my bill is 2900 on app. My daily  usage  has  gone back to normal now of a couple of pounds  but still Been charged for 2 weeks of 200 daily when I wasn't in the property. Its bizarre. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi I never but my account was zero balance when started. My smart meter says only 58 for electric but my bill is 2900 on app. My daily  usage  has  gone back to normal now of a couple of pounds  but still Been charged for 2 weeks of 200 daily when I wasn't in the property. Its bizarre. 

It could be that the meter is not reporting readings (or wasn’t). If you check your account, you should be able to see what readings have been used. For one thing, you don’t want to be paying for anything before you got it. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Userlevel 1

These are the meter readings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok - quite a jump between 8th and 23rd. Can you see what the reading is now .. is it near the one from 23rd? (Notice the one for 23rd doesn’t say Smart next to it)

Userlevel 1

I think the new one is similar I checked earlier just have no idea how there's a big jump as I wasn't in the property till the 21st march so wasn't using any energy apart from standing charge. Yeah I noticed that. Do you think its a problem with the smart meters not working properly. Impossible to use 200 pounds a day in electricity especially when I wasn't moved in. 

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s a really strange set of readings!

Did something particular happen on 8th March? You mentioned earlier something about 58 .. was this from your meter or in home display (IHD)?

If you can post a picture of your meter someone might be able to check what’s going on - no personal details though as this is a public forum. 
There will be some flashing lights too - if you can see what they’re doing. 
There are lots of others here who are quite clever on all that

Userlevel 1

Hi no I wasn't even in the property so no idea. It's so strange. Yes no problem I will do that thanks for your help.

Userlevel 1

Yes the 58 is estimated bill on my smart meter on the little display. I'm baffled. 

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks @Jackie82 . Can you try pressing button 9 on the keypad - if you press a few times you should see different screens/readings. Can you see if there’s one for ‘IMP’ and then ‘R01’ or similar .. by the way, you don’t have a dual tariff do you like economy 7?

If you can’t see something like ‘IMP R01’ then try pressing button 6 to see if that gets it. I’ve got a feeling that the screen shown in your photo is not the proper meter reading

Userlevel 1

OK I will have a look at this. Stupid  meter located outside in rain ha. Thanks.

Userlevel 1

Does this seem more like it. I pressed 6. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, that fits in better with the reading from 8th March. So 2685 - 2587 gives 98 units used which you can multiply by the tariff you’re on (p per kWh) then add standing charge and vat .. that probably would be nearer to that 58 on your IHD. 
You'll either need to get that reading on to your account or wait for the next smart reading to load (you could ask for more frequent readings to be taken)

Userlevel 1

Yes I have just uploaded it but says because my last reading  is so high and this is low then it doesn't add up. I will just have to wait and hear back from them and hope they sort this out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If your meter is set to give an upload on 8th then it should correct itself in a few days. At least you can see that your bill should be more reasonable 😁