Solved

How do I set-up a Boost Pay-as-you-Go (PAYG) account following a change of tenancy?

Show first post

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If the meter needs a 20 digit number, it won’t take a 19 digit number. there’s no trick because you’ll end up locking it out if you try to guess it.

Is there really no way to top up a smart meter, even in this weather? I was on hold with Boost/OVO for over two hours before the line just disconnected… any suggestions welcome…

For example, if the tenants were vulnerable pensioners who had lost their account details - there must be some way to restore power to the property? If is biting cold and without power there is no heating, hot water, charging phones - nothing!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There is, but an account needs to exist first. Without an account, they won’t have control of the supply and can’t do much unfortunately.

Try 105, they might be able to help.

Also, I strongly advise against any vulnerable customer being on Pay-As-You-Go for safety reasons, especially pensioners. It’s much safer to have them moved to OVO Pay Monthly if that’s the case.

I agree, but we can’t get through to anyone at OVO to either top up, switch or otherwise connect to power! Is there anyone from OVO monitoring these forums that might be able to help?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve attempted to notify the moderators but it’s close to the end of their day and I’m unsure if they’ll see the alert in time.

I’d recommend calling 105. The DNO has emergency mechanisms that might be usable. I can’t discuss them publicly because the DNO’s have asked me to not make the information public but I know it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The only other one to try is 0800 358 3523

Userlevel 7

Hey @danmack,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

Is this sorted now? Another way to top up with Boost Energy, if there is already a smart meter, is through the App.

Hope this helps. 

Hi , I am in rented property and originally  given 2 pre payment cards, to pay for gas and electricity.  

No letter or account number, landlord doesn't know it , I need to get in touch with ovo but I can't even log into an online account/ app but cant as dont know account  number and the messaging service have not been helpful 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Davidw ,

If it’s PAYG you’re probably going to need Boost instead on 0330 102 7517. NOT OVO because OVO is Pay Monthly only for the most part. Please set up an account with them ASAP.

You might want to then consider asking Boost to migrate you over to OVO Pay Monthly.

Thank you

Hello,

We have recently moved into a new rented property with a prepayment energy meter, where you supply the energy/gas.

We have been trying to contact you via chat/phone for several days to set up an account so we can top up the energy, but with no success.

We currently have no idea how much credit is on the meter or how long it will last and no way to add more.

Could you please contact us regarding-

- setting up an account so we can add credit

- options for swapping to a standard credit tarrif 

- let us provide initial meter readings for energy/gas

Hope to hear from you ASAP.

Best wishes,

Ryan

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Rymotron 

You could double check who supplies the electricity here

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/finding-your-energy-supplier-or-network-operator

As it is pre pay it may be the ovo sister company Boost

https://www.boostpower.co.uk/

If you post a photo of the meter someone may be able to offer some more advice

I don't work for ovo like most of the regular posters here. 

Hello, 

Thank you for your message- OVO was listed as the supplied in our lease contract, here is a shot of the meter.

Thanks again for your time

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello, 

Thank you for your message- OVO was listed as the supplied in our lease contract, here is a shot of the meter.

It would be worth double checking on the Ofgem website that it isn't Boost which is powered by OVO which has been a confusion for some customers 

Hello, 

It would be worth double checking on the Ofgem website that it isn't Boost which is powered by OVO which has been a confusion for some customers 

Just checked and it is OVO that is listed for both gas and electricity, where I agree I was expecting it to say boost.

Just at my wit's end as neither boost not OVO either via chat or phonecall are reachable, and I have no way of topping up the energy meter

Update- got this sorted via citizens advice bureau.

Thank you all for your time and help

Hello,

My partner has left the property ; both the gas and Electricity accounts are in her name.

We use the prepayment method for both accounts.

Could any kind person guide me as to how I remove her name from the accounts and replace those with my details as the new account holder?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome @Tomo ,

In this situation, the best thing I’d recommend doing is opening a NEW account in your name so that the existing account in your partners name can be safely closed. You won’t need your partner to do anything as opening a new account will automatically close the existing one, especially because it’s PAYG.

Please get in touch with Support to make the arrangements. That’s probably the easiest way. They’ll guide you through the process of setting things up from scratch and what you need to do with any existing keys or cards.

I hope this will help you. Please feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

That's really helpful, thank you Blastoise!

Tom.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Glad I could help! :)

By the way, if you’d like to switch to Pay Monthly, the Boost Support Team can arrange that too. Simply let them know you’re interested in moving to OVO Pay Monthly and they can discuss it with you. If you decide to go ahead, they’ll set up a switch on your behalf.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oops! Sorry!!!

I went for the Like button and the Best Answer button got in the way. Sorry about that. It’s one of those things that was going to happen eventually (too many buttons to play with!). :D

I’ve asked @Emmanuelle_OVO  to fix things up.

Much appreciated. In the future I shall look in nore depth at the pay monthly option; for now though, my initial goal is just to get everything changed to my name....some are easier than others!

Again, thanks very much for your help...I shall get on to them ASAP.

TOM

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Blastoise186 is pay monthly more expensive than pay as you go ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Pay Monthly via Direct Debit is usually a bit cheaper than Prepayment on average, but Pay Monthly via Pay On-Demand is definitely more expensive.

That’s how it’s always been, but the future may change things

Why am I paying off the previous tennets debt of £1168 she left wen we did an exchange