Solved

Why is my SMETS2 Chameleon In Home Display (IHD6) no longer showing data, a few weeks after smart meter was installed?

• 23 August 2020
  • 80 replies

Show first post

80 replies

Thanks for all the advice.

The IHD6 has been connected to wifi since day 1 so I would hope its got all the updates as they happen. 

The IHD6 normally lives on my desk well away from the Coms hub so I don't think its getting swamped/interference from the meter equipment.

Anyway, roll forward to this morning and its now all functioning again as it should without any input from me.

I can confirm that the S/W version has changed overnight though..

S/W

IHD6-CAD-PPMID 1.4 CAD 1.9

Would this have fixed it?

Many Thanks

Andy

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Blastoise186 wrote:

it ultimately looks like your IHD6 has somehow unpaired itself from the electricity meter, but not the gas meter. Weird…

That would be impossible. The IHD is paired only with your WNC Communications Hub, which sits on top of the Aclara electricity meter.

The electricity meter doesn’t operate on the Home Area Network (HAN). Its commands and data are passed to & from the Comms Hub via the Intimate Hub Communications Interface (IHCI) - a physical connector which also supplies 12v power.

Aclara SMETS2 electricity meter

@Andy302wrote:

the S/W version has changed overnight though.

I’m not sure that it has. The software is still 1.4, but it’s now also reporting the CAD firmware version. This is probably as a result of you following what @Blastoise186 recommended yesterday to connect the IHD to your home WiFi. It’s just “awakened” the software which was there all along.

We are soon hoping to implement a new system to communicate faults like this to the relevant technical staff. We need better feedback to understand what’s happening. Some faults get resolved by a single command being sent by the Smart Metering team. Others disappear when SMETS_commands get sent overnight by the new Billing System software.

In neither case do we know if there ever was an actual fault which got analysed and fixed, or whether an engineer simply sent a low-level Reset command which resolved the issue. If it’s the latter then there will an ever-growing tide of customers reporting issues with Smart Meters which keep reappearing.

Well, here's another twist to add to the case file.

Having said earlier that it was all working again this morning I returned to the office after lunch to find that this time it was only displaying the electricity information. Gas was now gone, exactly the same situation as before in that only one meter info was shown when checking meter info, it was as if we only had a Gas smart meter.

I turned to my PC to start a new reply to this thread , when I turned back and looked at the IHD6 it was showing both Gas and Electricity again. Very strange…..

I’ll keep a log of when I notice it happening and what, if anything, i do to get it back to normal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This obeys Sod’s 2nd Law:

The propensity for a device to operate as required is inversely proportional to the number and status of the people watching it.

If you really want it to keep working, insist that OVO send a couple of field engineers. It will operate impeccably for the duration of their visit. :wink:

Userlevel 4

@Blastoise186 I had similar issue to @Andy302 and ohers, which I reported in this thread, to which you’ve contributed.

About 4 weeks after installation, IHD stopped diplaying data and was seeking connnection. A day or two later it returned. The only cause I could atribute was that it was linked to “gas meter intialiation” message. All seemed to be fine, but on reappearance of data it looks as if electricty reading interval reset to monthly - it was set to daily on instalation.

Still an unresolved issue, but looks like there’s an underlying theme and not just a one off for me.