Solved

What do the lights mean on my Landis+Gyr smart meter Trilliant communications hub mean?

• 6 January 2021
  • 30 replies

Good Afternoon,I have a Trilliant meter I have noticed that the WAN indicator light is permanently on and the HAN indicator light has a steady flash.Anything to be concerned about?

Jason

icon

Best answer by Transparent 8 January 2021, 11:15

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Jason Kovesdi !

Welcome to the forums. Could you fill in your profile for me? It helps to make sure I can give the right advice.

I have to admit that we don’t get many questions about Trilliant meters/comms hubs on the forum, so I had to look this one up. And I’m actually struggling a bit to find a solid answer! You’re one of the few members who’s ever left me completely stumped. :wink:

Could you take a few photos of your meters and comms hub please? I’ll see if I can try to figure this one out for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nope, unfortunately this one is leaving me completely stumped. The only thing I’ve managed to figure out is that I think your comms hub might be a Trilliant SEAP-2000-V, possibly attached to a Landis+Gyr E470 smart meter. Other than that, I’m afraid the trail has gone cold.

@Tim_OVO do you have any ideas on this one? I think this might need some expert advice from the S2 team.

Userlevel 7

@Tim_OVO do you have any ideas on this one? I think this might need some expert advice from the S2 team.

Only that it’s a comms hub manufacturer, and I can see it on supplies with Landis and Gyr meters.

@Tedbarn has one in this topic:

A meter photo would be handy, @Jason Kovesdi, and please let us know who supplies you. Do you know if your meter is a SMETS1 by any chance? 

If it’s an L&G, it's likely to still be SMETS1, which will mean not all suppliers can communicate with it. 

Appreciate your help.Here is a shot of the meter.I just want to make sure really that the meter is running fine and my usage of Kwh are normal.2 people living in a small 2 bedroom apartment with electricity only no gas I’m using on average 32 Kwh per day.Does that sound about normal?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks @Jason Kovesdi !

This confirms my worst nightmares are true. Your smart meter is a Landis+Gyr E470 and the Comms Hub is a Trilliant SEAP-2001-V. As far as I’m aware, the only UK supplier to have installed this exact combination was British Gas/Centrica and they used a proprietary setup that’s very… Hush hush so to speak. Centrica has always been extremely secretive about how it works, making it impossible for me to research this one.

I live by myself in a 1 bedroom flat that’s Electric Only. Even with my underfloor heating, all my gadgets and my powerful network kit combined, I only pull an average of 2-5 kWh of power juice through my meter per day.

32 kWh a day seems awfully high somehow for a two bedroom apartment!

While this question has left me stumped, we’re not beaten that easily. I’ve exhausted all the resources I can find, but I do have the ability to play my Joker card (quite literally!) for this and call in @Transparent for help.

Thanks for the feedback.Looking at different on line sites it seems that 32 Kwh a day seems average.Your bills must be tiny if you are using just up to 5 kWh a day.

Userlevel 7

It would be good to find someone who knows what those lights on the Trilliant comms hub mean. @Tedbarn are you aware?

I assume you’re still with British Gas, @Jason Kovesdi - if so, are you not able to confirm that meter readings are reaching your online account remotely? 

If the readings are getting to them, the charges are correct…… most likely. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

One of the biggest nightmares I had with trying to research that Trilliant comms hub is that there doesn’t seem to be any official documentation that tells you what the Status LEDs mean. Sure, you can tell that they’re Power, WAN and HAN individually. But that’s not much use if they’re lighting up like a Christmas tree and you don’t know what it’s trying to tell you.

I think if we ever do find out, we’ll definitely want to make sure it’s documented on the OVO forums somewhere for the future.

Oh, and the other catch is that the Landis+Gyr E470 is a weird meter. While most brands spin up a completely new model name/number every time they release a new product/model, L+G seem to keep re-using the same ones over and over again. As far as I’m aware, there’s actually at least three completely different “versions” of the L+G E470 that look very different. Only the latest SMETS2 version does away with that Trilliant comms hub and uses the usual ones instead.

It’s really confusing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 12/12/2022 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sounds like you’ve got a Landis+Gyr smart meter there. These were the smart meters often installed by British Gas alongside a Trilliant communications hub. As the SMETS 1 and SMETS 2 versions of these meter have the same model name, we’ve got a great guide to help you figure out whether your meter is SMETS1 or SMETS2.

If you have an SMETS1 version and have recently switched to OVO, these flashing lights could indicate that the smart meters aren’t currently in communication with us. We weren’t originally able to access the usage data from this type of S1 meter. There’s good news on the horizon though, all S1 meters are currently being remotely upgraded to make sure they can communicate with all suppliers much like S2 meters do. Landis+Gyr S1 meters are due to be upgraded by September 2022 - read more about this here.

In the meantime, check out this guide for help in taking your reading manually - You can submit these readings on the meter readings page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

​​​​​​Hope the meters are remotely upgraded soon so you can get back to enjoying the full benefits of going smart!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 3

Apologies for the late response. I am afraid I have no info about the Trilliant comms hub

I have a 2 bedroom flat only myself and husband out most days got gas oven and gas central heating 

My electric was £242 for 24 days have contacted eon waiting on reply

They say they take smart meter readings but I send readings in every month and there's is always different from what I'm reading 

I have a trilliant box this flash red I think this may have to do with the weird readings  my model for trilliant is seap 2000v  larg number on top is 

BGSMT001562130

HOPE YOU CAN HELP Janet 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Janet wilson ,

Sounds like a failed connection, but I could do with seeing photos of the entire meter first.

Thank you for getting back 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok,

So you’re on supply at least - because I finally found that information after searching for two years - and it seems the WAN is working but there’s a problem with the local network (HAN).

I’d suggest flagging that up with your supplier. Let them know there should be a WAN at least!

Thanking you once again so glad after 2yrs u have finally found the answer 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

It’s actually the meaning of the tiny square on the meter display that I finally figured out. Landis+Gyr don’t make it easy to understand, but SmartMe finally has a copy of the tech manual and I got it from there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Isn’t this another meter that has Total, R01, R02 and export readings @Blastoise186 ?

In the first image you can see Total before the reading which might not be the reading register needed

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Technically, yes it does. It just does so in a different way with Total Acct Import, R01, R02 and Total Acct Export if memory serves

Userlevel 2

Can someone help me here, I was checking my Trilliant Comms on my smart meter yesterday and the light was solid green one minute then flashing fast the next, that was the WAN light  The HAN light was flashing red. My point is I have never since I have been living here seen the WAN light flash at all. Is this normal? I went back outside last night and it was solid green permanently, back to how it's always been.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Viv1966 , the comms link does occasionally ‘search’ for signals and so this is possibly what you noticed. Drop outs do occur which is why it’s good to keep an eye on your meter readings to check they are being transmitted regularly. 

Userlevel 2

Well apparently my readings aren't reaching OVO .....this is why my meter is being replaced. I am new to OVO and for the first time since living here I feel like I am being listened to! I asked British Gas time and time again to check my meter but they didn't.  Also I live in a very small bungalow but the the bills  have always been extremely high!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The HAN connection is dead. Seems a common issue with those pesky Trilliant hubs especially after switching away from BG for some reason. It also seems like the WAN died for some reason.

Userlevel 2

@Blastoise186  thanks for the info, Could you tell me what colour the HAN should be on a normal healthy meter please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If memory serves, green in your case. But Trilliant doesn’t provide manuals or anything so we’ve had to figure it out ourselves a lot.