Solved

Smart meter manual reading different to smart reading

• 19 June 2023
  • 41 replies

I’m hoping anyone on here can shed some light on this.

Before I go into the issue in more detail, my questions is as follows:

What can cause a manual reading on an ovo smart meter (when you press number 9) to be different to the smart readings ovo are receiving? 

History (mainly so I can keep a record of whats happening as its starting to get confusing).

Over 4 years ago Ovo came out and installed an electric smart meter. During their visit, they were unable to install the smart gas meter (since it was semi submerged in the ground in a box). As such they only installed the electric meter.

After a month I noticed that due to my thick walls, ovo was not receiving any readings. I contacted ovo who came out and installed an separate aerial. However, once connected the meter started signaling it had a WAN connection so the external aerial was left inside the house (in the cupboard with the meter) instead of being mounted outside the house.

Forward a few months later and again the meter started to lose signal, to combat this, I unwound the aerial and hung it near window (or to be more precise, as close to the window the short cable would let me). This seemed to work but was not idea. Contacted ovo again who said they would look into this and get a meter company out (nothing happen).

Fast forward a few more months and I got a meter man turn up at the house to take a reading, he took one from the electric and I noticed it seemed high. Checked this against my ovo smart meter accounts and sure enough the reading was several hundred units higher. 

I rang customer service who said this was caused by the meter going into “economy 7 mode when it loses reception and not to worry as Ovo had the correct readings”. I don’t have economy 7 so was a bit confused (and to be honest, they also sounded a bit puzzled). As such, I am not sure this is correct 

Then the pandemic hit. 

Then electric/gas prices starting to go up .

I looked around and as I could get cheaper electric from another supplier, I rang them to arrange a migration. However, until my meter readings matched, I was advised not to move as it could result in ovo sending me an incorrect final bill. This is because I would need to give the new company the meter reading manually and since this is higher than what ovo have, they advised that ovo may send a bill for the different. In turn I would then need to fight with ovo to try and get my money back since the meter reading is incorrect.

I sent an e-mail to Ovo desperately explaining the situation, explaining how it was stating to cause significant stress (even now I’m still petrified that im going to get an incorrect bill for ££££).

I didn't get a response.

I then went on live chat and after speaking to someone I got an e-mail asking me to send a “photo of your meter as a reply to this email”.

I sent a youtube video link of my meter and explained the issue again and that the smart meter and manual readings do not match. I also send a copy of every smart meter reading from 21 Apr 2022 to 25 May 2023 and stated “As mentioned on the live chat, I currently have the aerial hanging across my living room so it can get some signal but it is only a matter of time before it loses signal again and I am petrified that I’m suddenly, incorrectly going to get a bill £1000’s for the incorrect difference. I’d really appreciate it if I could get rid of this meter and make sure the incorrect number is not submitted to Ovo’s systems (which I am almost positive would result in an incorrect bill and then me having to chase up a refund). ”. 

This time I got a response on the 25th May:

“Thanks for getting in touch with us. My name is ******. I'm a Account Management here at OVO. I am just emailing you confirming that all your meter reads that you just sent are correct and that you dont have anything to worry about. I have went through each one you sent and they defintely all match which is great! Hope you have a nice day and thanks for emailing us if you need anything else just email us or ring. “

However, as I didn’t receive any further communication regarding getting the meter removed etc I replied (and CC’d complaints@ovoenergy.com) on the 14/06/2023 with:

As of 14/06/2023 I have not received any further communication regarding this issue.

Since I am unable to move to another supplier due to the incorrect meter readings caused by the meter installed by Ovo, I am now at a deadlock.

This issue is causing substantial distress, causing me to miss out of offers from other companies and resulting in a substantial amount of my time being wasted. I understand that during covid times were difficult staffing wise but I feel nearly 4 years to resolve this issue is more than enough considering how I have explained to staff members on the phone and via e-mail numerous times over the years the issue and the problems it is causing.

Please can someone action this asap and get back to me as I really need this resolving.

I then got a call back from a Guy who to be fair was helpful. However, no one really seems to know why my meter was doing what it was. All they could offer was to fill in a smart meter health check over the phone and advise “I will raise this with our site works team and you will get a response within 45 days”.

On the 19/06/2023 I got an e-mail from a person who is a ‘works advisor’. They stated:

With regard to your query relating to your Electric smart meter not transferring correct reads to us. 

I have checked over all the details and tried to pull a meter read through manually, however there was no connection.

We would there for need to arrange for an engineer to visit your property to exchange your electric meter.

Could I please ask you to contact our customer services on 0330 303 5063 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) to arrange an appointment that would be suitable for you.

There are morning or afternoon appointments available. 

I do sincerely apologise if this situation has caused you any stress or concerns, once your meter is exchanged it should communicate with us, and transfer the correct reads for more accurate billing.

Ok, so I think I’m slowly getting somewhere. The problem now I have is two fold:

1. If I get a new meter fitted and the meter replacement guys submit the incorrect reading, ovo are just going to send me a bill for a stupid amount and I will need to fight with them to get it stopped / claim it back. (I’ve already been charged incorrect several times recently (including charging me £60 for an early exit fee even though I never left!).
  2. No one has fully explained why my meter is showing a different number.

I rang the number provided and briefly explained to the woman on the phone the situation (again was a different person so had to give them the very brief overview). They didn’t know why the meter would be acting this way but would e-mail me regarding an appointment to change the meter. I asked if the person who sent the last e-mail could call me since they appear to be a works advise so maybe they know why the meter is acting up.

A few minutes after the call, I got an e-mail stating they booked an appointment in for 14/07/2023 to replace the meter. They also let me know I could not speak to the woman who sent the e-mail as “she is not customer facing, she is unable to do any call back

I went back with the below:

Thank you.

Can someone please give me a call who would know why my meter is doing this? I appreciate it is going to get replaced but at this point in time I am truly petrified that when the new one is added, a manual reading is going to get submitted to ovo resulting in an incorrect bill for £££. This is causing considerable stress to me and my partner and I am desperate to know :
1)    Why this is happening?
2)    How ovo will stop an incorrect bill being applied?

Please, please, please can someone get back to me regarding this with a detailed explanation?

Hopefully I will get  a response from someone who knows about the meters.

In the mean time, if you have any idea why the meter is different please let me know below. I’ve researched online for hours but not been able to find anything.

icon

Best answer by Firedog 21 June 2023, 09:46

View original

41 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @vegas22 and thanks for this detailed breakdown of events. It’s really helpful to understand where you’re at. 

Whilst you wait for the July meter exchange, let’s see if the forum can help you figure out the readings on the meter vs the online account. Of course these should be aligned.

I think you have a first generation ‘Secure Liberty’ smart meter. Can you confirm by looking at this guide:

From that guide you’ll also see how to read the meter. Pressing 9 gives you the rate 1 meter reading. If your smart meter is for any reason set up in economy 7 setting, your readings will be on two registers which you can find by pressing 6. 

Can you confirm your latest meter readings showing on the online account and on the meter please? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes @vegas22 you need to make sure that you don’t confuse the various registers on your smartmeter. Tim has given you access to the guide and the main keys to use. 
This might also help as a quick guide depending on your exact meter type

Hi, thanks for your help.

It's a liberty 100.

If I press 9 I get

IMP KWH = 32916.1

If I press 6 I get:

TARRIF

ACT RATE

IMP R01

STCGH/DAY

050-300P

+IMP R01+

032-390P

IMP RO2 (no + but I think I've seen it have a + at each end before)

000-00P

IMP R03

000-000P

after that it's all 0’s as it loops through R03-R15.

CREDIT

Using now

Cost now

Below is screenshot from my OVO account with today's 20th smart reading:

Thanks in advance for your help.

@Tim_OVO@BPLightlog , It looks like my 9 reading (32916.1) is the same as RO1+RO2 (30165.8+2750.4). It also looks like my smart reading matches the R01.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It looks like my 9 reading (32916.1) is the same as RO1+RO2 (30165.8+2750.4). It also looks like my smart reading matches the R01.

9 brings up the ‘total’ register for the meter rather than the active one 

Thank you for you help. So what does that mean? Sorry for all the questions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you for you help. So what does that mean? Sorry for all the questions.

As in the list I posted earlier, that gives the total reading since the meter was active (either imported or exported). 
The active register is normally seen as ACT 01 or ACT 02 depending on if you have a dual rate supply (peak and off peak). 
In everyday use, it’s ACT 01 reached via button 6 which gives the reading you need so in your review, it would be 30165 which you would log. As you had calculated, button 9 gives you both registers added together

@BPLightlog  Thank you for your help with this. So basically OVO telling me to use button 9 is what is causing the confusion.

I'm not on an economy 7 or any feed in TARRIF etc which makes the imp R02 confusing. Any idea why I even have numbers under that one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Those figures are a lifetime register @vegas22 so it will have been recording in that mode at some point since it was fitted

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I discovered exactly the same thing. My smart meter was installed by OVO when the property was on a night/day tariff. Once it was up and running I asked to be switched to a single rate tariff, hence that second register had been used a bit. Now it’s only the first register that records anything.

Userlevel 7
Badge

[I have a Liberty 110]

At some stage, some consumption (2750.4 kWh) was recorded on Register 02. You’d have to go back through all the available meter readings (400 days worth) to see whether you can spot when that stopped happening. The other figures you see are

Standing Charge 50.300 p/day
R01 rate 32.390 p/kWh
R02 rate 0.000  p/kWh

So, this meter appears to have been set up for E7 but later reconfigured for single rate by simply diverting all usage to the one register. R01 is usually ‘Peak’ rate, but not necessarily. Incidentally, your rates are identical to mine.

The R02 register is showing an historical figure dating back to when the meter was configured for E7, and current usage is only recorded on R01. It’s odd, but that’s why the readings you see online are different from your Button 9 reading, which includes the obsolete figure from R02. Your current billing will be accurate. 

You will most probably have been charged for the 2750.4kWh a long time ago, so you’d have to check your old bills to see that. If you can’t see any appropriate charge, that usage is most likely to have taken place more than a year ago, in which case its cost will be written off. So I think you’re safe from any unexpected bill regardless of what happens when the meter is exchanged.

In my amateur opinion, the meter is working as expected and recording consumption as it’s been configured to. The problem seems only to be the intermittent transmission of data to OVO. Has the meter been enrolled and adopted (‘E&A’) on to the DCC system?  To check, enter its MPAN into this tool: smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk Because meters on DCC use a different way of communicating with the outside world, it could well be that the problem would change at E&A, with no way of knowing whether it would get better or worse.

If you can access your account on a computer, I’d be happy to help you do a little forensic analysis to try and find out where the R02 reading came from.

Userlevel 7

Great detective work everyone! 🕵🕵🏽🕵

I must say I didn’t know rate 1’s can be used in this way for former 2-rate set ups. Tis good to know!

So whenever your meter is out of communication and you want to submit an actual meter reading, @vegas22, press number 6 on that keypad! 

Hello @Firedog @Tim_OVO @BPLightlog , thank you all for your help. Much more support on here than the ovo phones etc.

@Firedog I have access to my account but not sure what I would need to look out for regarding past bills. @Tim_OVO is there any way to pull bills from further back in my account e.g. several years?

This is the screenshot of my meter readings back to 3 May 2022. I can’t really see any large jumps in readings so I suspect the 2750.4 kWh was before this time frame

** for some reason the forum wont let me upload the web capture**

looks like the screenshot is too large dimension wise.

https://ourmessagebox.com/ovoenergy.jpg <--uploaded it here

ok, so I thought I’d worked out looking at my ovo > usage when i switched to a smart meter (march 2018) since the graph goes from showing the same value each day to fluctuating. 

However, when I look at my bills from Dec 2018 to march 2018, they all show the same Meter Serial Number (MSN) for electric.

I have to go all the way back to 25 Nov – 22 Dec 2016’s bill to find a different electric MSN

It also means that I’ve been contacting Ovo for 7 years to try and get to the bottom of this if that’s correct! (how time fly's when your having fun!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just thought I’d explain why your image couldn’t upload. For technical reasons, massive images like that one have to be rejected by the forum software because they break stuff. Nothing against you though.

Userlevel 7

Hey @vegas22,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

This is an interesting one! Sounds like your old usage graphs may no longer be accurate. What do your historic bills show? Do the ones prior to the smart meter exchange show the old meter serial number? If so, you’ve been billed correctly and you don’t need to worry. 

Userlevel 7

ok, so I thought I’d worked out looking at my ovo > usage when i switched to a smart meter (march 2018) since the graph goes from showing the same value each day to fluctuating. 

However, when I look at my bills from Dec 2018 to march 2018, they all show the same Meter Serial Number (MSN) for electric.

I have to go all the way back to 25 Nov – 22 Dec 2016’s bill to find a different electric MSN

There should be a yellow sticker on the meter which confirms the date of the meter exchange, @vegas22

The usage section bars always showing the same usage does indeed indicate a non-smart meter, or a smart meter that isn’t sending its readings remotely. 

Either way just make sure you submit the correct reading via keypad number 6 and you won’t be incorrectly charged. Likewise if that meter ever gets replaced, you will be correctly billed throughout. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

This is the sort of stuff that gets my adrenaline flowing! I just had a look at the elephantine screenshot you uploaded here: ovoenergy.jpg (1685×19083) (ourmessagebox.com). With @Jeffus’ acute observation that the DCC doesn’t usually produce daily readings on the first day of each quarter, I looked through your readings - and they’re all there. This suggests that the meter wasn’t on the DCC at the time, so it’s quite possible that it’s currently going through the throes of E&A. We may be able to spot this with a little bit of magic …

@vegas22 Let’s have a look at your readings database, the one that lies behind that long screenshot. Step by step:

1. Sign in to account.ovoenergy.com

2. In a new tab in the same browser session, open this page:
    smartpaymapi.ovoenergy.com/orex/api/meter-readings/{Account}
    where {Account} is your 7-digit OVO account no.
    Depending on which browser you’re using, this should reveal either a nicely readable JSON tree or an impenetrable block of data. 

3. If it’s legible, go to step 5ff.

4. If it’s not legible, copy the whole page (Ctrl-A-C) and paste it into the box on this page: https://jsonformatter.org/json-pretty-print, then click the Make Pretty button. You can copy the results in the lower pane ready to paste into Notepad or your favourite text editor.

5. Scroll down to the data for 2023-05-29, then scroll gently up looking at the readingType. There will probably be some gaps corresponding to the dates omitted in your screenshot, but you should be able to see the anomalous one at 31 May.  Do you see any other odd ones then or later (higher up)?

This page should show the meter readings for the past 400 days. Do you see more than one tier, or any mention of the 2750.4 figure seen on the meter? Is the registerTier numbering the same all the way to now? 

There may be other interesting things on that page.

@Firedogthank you for this, I didn't know you could pull that data (time to code a php script to log all this!)

I'm not at my computer at the moment but I'll do that and update you accordingly.

Regarding the meter itself, had a helpful chap come out and replace the meter. Explained the situation to him and he took the final reading using the number 6 on they keypad (which should stop ovo from incorrectly sending any strange bills).

However, whilst he did fit a larger t2 aerial, it didn't get any signal and as such he could not commission the unit. I've since unscrewed the aerial from the board and moved it to the window for now (looks horrible but the WAN light is now flashing so seems to be a temp fix).

I did ask if the T2 was waterproof but he said it wasn't and didn't know of a waterproof version. Does anyone know if there is one that ovo supply? If so, I could drill through my wall and mount one on the outside which would seem to fix this issue once and for all.

Also side note, my little colour smart meter display doesn't seem to be syncing with the meter (shows what looks like dummy data shipped with the device for demo purposes).

Any ideas how to get this working.

Userlevel 7

Hey @vegas22,

You’ve advised the WAN light is now flashing, but if the meter wasn’t commissioned properly there may still be communication issues. Are you able to see any readings on the Online Account?  

I am unable to find out if a T2 aerial is waterproof, or if one can be provided, @Lukepeniket_OVO are you able to offer any advice here? 

To get the In Home Display working I'd advise contacting our Support Team

Hello @Emmanuelle_OVO , with the aerial hung across my room towards the window the WAN light flashes at the same time as the mesh and the other light to the left.

There are no readings on my account after July 14th (when it was removed) and the meter serial number on the account is the same as the old meter.

Regarding the in home display, is there anything specific I need to ask the support team to get it working?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy! I’m afraid I’m not Luke but I think I know this one.

Juuuuuuuuuuuuust in case though, I have to do this disclaimer thing. To keep OVO’s lawyers happy because that’s a thing now, I disclose that I am only a forum volunteer and I’m not employed by OVO. I’m afraid my answer can’t be taken as official word from OVO itself, but it’s usually pretty close.

Also… To keep DCC happy I have been digging through their publicly available documents like this one to help build this answer. Credit is due to SmartMe as well for helping me to dig into this one. And yeah… Credit to good old Luke as well for teaching me a thing or two! :)

I do recall seeing forum threads in the past where a T1 or T2 Aerial appeared to be outside and seemed to handle it just fine. However, the official stance I’ve found is that they are for Internal use only and should never be placed outdoors.

However, a T3 Aerial can be used outdoors and are weatherproof (but try to avoid absolutely drenching them with a garden hose if you can!) but for obvious reasons, it’s for external use only. If you try to use the T3 Aerials indoors, there’s a small risk you’ll be microwaved by it and no-one wants that to happen. These have to be specially ordered and DCC only gives them out if they agree that it’s appropriate. You won’t normally get one on the day of the meter install.

These aerials can’t be purchased by anyone other than DCC and only authorised engineers can install them.

However, you can usually ask OVO to see about getting one installed if needed. Have a chat with the Support Team and they should be able to help.

Luke might still stop by if he’s around.

Userlevel 7

Hey @vegas22,

Got an update on your query from one of our Smart Meter experts:

‘Sounds like this customer has a WAN issue so we've gone out and fitted a T2 aerial... the T2 aerials (there are 2 types) are IP54 rated. Meaning it can withstand 'some' water but not much... so not designed to be fitted externally. We do not 'supply' them. The DCC provides them to us and we fit them. The same applies to all other companies, they obtain the aerials from the DCC.

Based on the response it looks like we've initiated the ‘Install & Leave’ process but, if the WAN light is on, that means we have initiated the commissioning but the WAN is not strong enough..  an Incident should have been raised to the DCC to see what the options are.

As for the IHD, sounds like it may not be paired and joined correctly, wait 7 days but, if the meters aren't commissioned, it's likely the HAN (Home Area Network) might not be set up to enable the IHD to read correctly but it depends..’

When you contact the Support Team about the IHD you’ll need to ask for it to be ‘paired’.

Hope this helps. 

Thank you for this @Emmanuelle_OVO  And @Blastoise186 

I spoke to someone today at ovo who is going to call me back tomorrow after looking into it. They couldn't find anything on there systems regarding a T3 aerial or how to request an install of one. Any ideas what to ask for other than a t3 (regarding an outdoor aerial)?