• 41 replies

Show first post

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

They are listed on the smartme site https://www.smartme.co.uk/smets-2.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Similar cases have been discussed before regarding these external aerial. So it might be worth a search of the forum to see if anyone has actually actually reporting getting one installed and if so how they navigated the ovo processes. This is from 2 years ago

Userlevel 7

Hey @vegas22,

Got an update from the team about T3 Aerials: 

They are (waterproof) but we cannot request one. If the aerial we’ve installed and meter isn’t work but the DCC is saying there is WAN there then we raise a No WAN incident. The DCC investigate what's the problem on site and will propose potential resolutions, one of which may be to try install a T3, that then requires a specific job to be booked to meet the DCC on site, following a rather drawn out desktop analysis, before using a stand alone booking portal to get 2 engineers on site to try a T3. Which may or may not resolve the WAN issue,  so yes a T3 aerial is an option but we don't have a BAU process to fit them.

Hello @Emmanuelle_OVO , Thank you for your help with this.

so I guess my next question is what do I do now? I'm still waiting for ovo to call me today but as the T2 Aerial is currently screwed to my ceiling to get reception, should I put it back in the cupboard?

I could try and create a waterproof box for the t2 aerial and drill throught to outside but since the meter is clipped I would need to cut the tie security wire to get access aerial port which I'm assuming will probably break some form of T&C or law etc

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @vegas22,

Got an update from the team about T3 Aerials: 

They are (waterproof) but we cannot request one. If the aerial we’ve installed and meter isn’t work but the DCC is saying there is WAN there then we raise a No WAN incident. The DCC investigate what's the problem on site and will propose potential resolutions, one of which may be to try install a T3, that then requires a specific job to be booked to meet the DCC on site, following a rather drawn out desktop analysis, before using a stand alone booking portal to get 2 engineers on site to try a T3. Which may or may not resolve the WAN issue,  so yes a T3 aerial is an option but we don't have a BAU process to fit them.

Blimey, I think that is an interesting example of bureaucracy from the DCC. This isn't directed at OVO. 

All these things add to the cost of the smart meter rollout and maintenance, adding costs to our bills.

On the face of it to me, it feels like another failure of regulation. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @vegas22,

I’d advise leaving the aerial where it initially was placed by the engineer, waiting 6 weeks (the timeframe it takes to update meter details following an exchange), then if it’s not in communication complete a ‘smart meter health check’ this will be picked up by our team of experts who will look into this and decide next steps. I wouldn’t advise putting it outside even if you make a box, it may be unsafe. 

In the meantime once the meter serial number has updated online to show the new meter, submit meter readings manually to ensure you are billed correctly. 

@Emmanuelle_OVO thank you for your help. 6 weeks is quite a long time. I'm desperate to get this all up and running so I can leave ovo. Whilst the forum support is good and helpful, yet again ovo haven't returned my call / call back as promised. They really are a shocking company to deal with directly.

Userlevel 7

Hey @vegas22,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

It sounds like the issue you have is poor signal in your area, I don’t know that this issue would necessarily be resolved by switching to a new provider. 

There is always the option of raising a complaint if you feel there has been a issue with the customer service you’ve received. There is more information on this on our website.

I hope the issues with your meter get resolved soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@vegas22

I think  ovo should have already logged a complaint on 14/06 as you mentioned including the complaint email address. 

I think the Ombudsman would probably accept this. 

So I would assume 8 weeks from 14/06 and then approach the Ombudsman if the issue still isn't resolved. 

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

I would ask ovo for a reference number for your complaint and the name of your complaint handler. 

I would then provide your ovo  complaint handler a link to this thread

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-136/smart-meter-manual-reading-different-to-smart-reading-15310?postid=96118#post96118

Personally I would give up trying to resolve this outside the formal complaint process now. 

Ive sent another e-mail today to complaints@ovoenergy.com and assuming this isn’t resolved before the 8 weeks is up, I will reach out to the Ombudsman to see if they can force ovo to actually act like a proper company and fix what really are simple common problems.

On a side note, I now can’t see any meter readings in my account and I can’t alter my monthly direct debit which is now set to £246 a month (currently £602 in credit and counting!) When I try to change it, it says :

Good to know that my DD needs to be between 246 and some number that can not be loaded! 🙄

@Emmanuelle_OVO The signal is the issue but only in the house, outside the house is fine. Problem is switching providers has been impossible for over 4 years due to ovo not fixing the meter issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The maximum permitted DD amount per month is something like £2,000 iirc. Hardly anyone would be on that level mind you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ive sent another e-mail today to complaints@ovoenergy.com and assuming this isn’t resolved before the 8 weeks is up, I will reach out to the Ombudsman to see if they can force ovo to actually act like a proper company and fix what really are simple common problems.

On a side note, I now can’t see any meter readings in my account and I can’t alter my monthly direct debit which is now set to £246 a month (currently £602 in credit and counting!) When I try to change it, it says :

Good to know that my DD needs to be between 246 and some number that can not be loaded! 🙄

@Emmanuelle_OVO The signal is the issue but only in the house, outside the house is fine. Problem is switching providers has been impossible for over 4 years due to ovo not fixing the meter issue. 

I haven't read all the posts. 

If you want a refund of some or all of your credit while you wait for OVO to address your complaint then you can call ovo collections and ask for 100% of your credit to be refunded under the ofgem rules if you are on the Variable tariff. May be best not to take it all. 

0800 0699 831

Am not sure if you have tried anything like that. You mentioned being with OVO for over  4 years so I assume you get the 5% interest reward tax free on any credit balance up to £1000.

@Jeffus “ 4 years so I assume you get the 5% interest reward tax free on any credit balance up to £1000.” That’s correct. 

I’ve emailed ovo several more times (sent on 27th July) regarding this and even provided them a link to this forum thread but got no reply! (even with the complaints email CC in).

Currently on live chat with them to get my £593.95 credit returned so I can move to another company and be done with OVO. Shame as they were good at one point. I asked the live chat agent if they had got my e-mail, they said they had but it had not been assigned anyone yet! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you’re leaving a supplier, it’s not recommended to do a refund just before you go. It’s best to leave the credit where it is so that you can automatically pay the final bill from the credit balance - the rest will be returned to you automatically after that.

@Blastoise186 thanks for the heads up but there’s no way I trust ovo to refund me! I’d rather owe them money and pay the balance manually than rely on them refunding me.

Just a quick and final update on this as I am now switched over to Octopus.

No one from OVO actually got back to me. Spoke to two people on live chat. One said that they could see my e-mail and it had not been allocated to anyone yet. The 2nd one today said there was no e-mail on my account and no one was assigned to it. They also told me I should speak to my new supplier to resolve the issue!! (How can my new supplier tell me if ovo had allocated someone to my old complaint email!)

So all in all 4+ years of incredibly stressful communication and fear about being over charged, lost out on fixed energy deals with other providers because I was unable to leave ovo due to the meter issue, and even now I’m not sure I’ve been billed right (lost the will to even try and speak to someone to work it out).

Octopus has been fantastic since joining them. They answer the phone, call you back and their billing system actually makes sense. Reminded me of how OVO used to be back in the early days.

The forum on here though was very helpful, lots of knowledgeable people willing to share help, just a shame ovo’s own staff aren’t anywhere near as well trained or care.

Toodle-pip OVO, you won’t be missed!

Thanks again forum members