Solved

How do I take a manual reading from my OVO smart meter?

• 19 March 2017
  • 49 replies

8ac813bc-b22a-4978-b4de-f54529059dd1.png

I need to send in meter readings. I have smart meters installed but I’m not sure how to get the reading displayed on the screen.
Could someone please tell me what buttons I have to press to get the readings?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 20 March 2017, 15:49

View original

49 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 28/04/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Your smart meters are designed to send us your meter readings automatically. You can check the readings we’ve received by heading to the ‘meter readings’ page of the OVO app (download for Android or iOS). If you did want to cross-check these against the meters themselves check the instructions for your meter type below.

For SMETS1 ‘Secure’ smart meters:

There’s a slight difference between the the S1 meters we installed. To take a dual (day/night) reading for Secure Liberty 110 or 112 S1 smart meters (which are designed to work best with storage heaters), press 9 on the meter’s keypad. If you’ve got a Secure Liberty 100 S1 smart meter, press 6 to confirm the Day and Night meter readings (pressing 9 will show the reading if you’re a single rate member with this meter).

For SMETS2 Aclara, Flonidan, Honeywell or Elster smart meters:

Aclara (Elec) / Flonidan (Gas) Elster (Elec) / Honeywell (Gas)
Reading the meter
  • Elec: Press A three times until TOU Rate 1 appears.
  • Gas: Press C to wake up, then C to access the menu. Use B to scroll and C to select the reading option.
  • Elec: Press the top button once or twice
  • Gas: Press the circle button once or twice

Worried that your smart meter has lost communication? You can help diagnose this by following the smart meter health check for your meter type below, then reaching out to the Support team.

Got another model of smart meter? We might have you covered in the guides below (if not leave a comment to let us know and we’ll do some research!)

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi
Could you help me figure out how to read my meter

I have the following reading for gas 715.386 m3, but when i try to submit it says only numbers does that mean remove the dot ?

Electric i have the following CUM IMP 01 01187.8 KWH same again does that mean remove the dot?

As this meter is extremely confusing as it has changed for some reason as before i got day and night on elect but now cannot even find a day and night reading only CUM. IMP

Before when i had to give a reading to eon, i had night and day, now that has disappeared, its a new build house and think its smart meter, so has eon changed something, as im switching over to ovo now.

Thanks
Userlevel 6
Hi @sb4100 thanks for posting,

As you've mentioned you're migrating to OVO from another supplier, I assume you've got different smart meters to those I have and am used to - therefore any advice I offer would be useless in this respect - sorry!

However @Lucy_OVO @Tim_OVO @Max_OVO or @Emily_OVO are sure to be able to offer some guidance if other members can't.

Hope your switch goes smoothly, have a great weekend
Userlevel 7
Hi @sb4100,

I've moved your question here as a similar question has been asked before. There's also a link here to OVO Answers which has some really useful information on how to take meter readings.

I hope this helps, but if you still need support, comment below and we will try and help further.

Darran
We have Economy 7 and and now a smart meter (fitted January). The instructions say to press 6 for meter readings (if required) but I have found on ours they come up by pressing 9. Is this all ok?
Userlevel 7
We have Economy 7 and and now a smart meter (fitted January). The instructions say to press 6 for meter readings (if required) but I have found on ours they come up by pressing 9. Is this all ok?

Hi @Brian Grant - thanks for posting and nice profile pic!

I've moved this query over to another topic on reading smart meters. Check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for a great link to an OVO Answers page on this.

In your case, with an Economy 7 smart meter, pressing 9 on the keypad will bring up the total reading. That's not what you want. Press 6 on the keypad: after a few other bits of info, you'll see 'reading 1' and 'reading 2' each followed by the readings from each register.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Hi Tim_OVO...Thanks for your reply. In fact on our smart meter when pressing 6 the two readings do not appear as you described. Although this does not seem to be as it should, from our point of view we can "live" with it because most importantly all the information is being updated daily on line from you to us. Therefore we see no reason to have to take readings because we can see the daily, weekly etc costings very clearly on line...and this is now coupled with the monthly electrical appliance usage costs. ALL of this being due to your central monitoring of our smart meter. All very useful! Maybe somewhere along the line a meter reading person will double check what we are saying!
Thankyou..and we like the forum..Brian Grant
I am moving from OVO and have been asked for meter readings from my new supplier, but I am unable to get them on the smart meter. Anyone know how one can obtain meter readings?
I am moving from OVO and have been asked for meter readings from my new supplier, but I am unable to get them on the smart meter. Anyone know how one can obtain meter readings?

Hey @dcm12939

Thanks for posting! I've moved your query over to another topic on reading smart meters - so it's all in the same place. Check out Lucy's 'best answer' at the top for a great link to an OVO Answers page on this.

Hope this helps,
Emily
I have recently switched to OVO and had smart meters fitted. My display is not working so how can I read my meters? I can't use the usual meters outside as OVO replaced those bits as part as the smart meter upgrade. Can anybody help?
Userlevel 5
I have recently switched to OVO and had smart meters fitted. My display is not working so how can I read my meters? I can't use the usual meters outside as OVO replaced those bits as part as the smart meter upgrade. Can anybody help?
Hey Tiny,

I’ve moved your topic over here as I’m hoping this thread will help.

If you’re meter is blank, have you tried pressing any buttons to wake it up? Are you referring to the smart meters itself or the In Home Display (IHD)?

Lucy
Yes, I can use the IHD monitor but I also want to take direct readings
Yes, I can use the IHD monitor but I also want to take direct readings

Hey @David Whiter

I've moved your query to this topic as you can find the answer at the top!

Emma
Leaving OVO - How do I take SMART meter readings remotely ?

Or has the OVO meter turned into a dumb meter ?

I thought the IHD would show the actual meter reading - but apparently not.

Is there some way of accessing this online or via an app as not an OVO customer ?
Or after you leave OVO does the SMART meter become DUMB for the customer ?
Userlevel 5
Leaving OVO - How do I take SMART meter readings remotely ?

Or has the OVO meter turned into a dumb meter ?

I thought the IHD would show the actual meter reading - but apparently not.

Is there some way of accessing this online or via an app as not an OVO customer ?
Or after you leave OVO does the SMART meter become DUMB for the customer ?

Hi James,

I've moved your post over here where you can find the info you need. If you switch to another company that uses the same model of smart meters as us, then it'll retain the smart functionality. You'll still need to provide an opening meter reading to your new supplier, though.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
What are the other readings that some up when I press 9 on my electricity meter?
Userlevel 5
As well as your meter readings, @hiphopopotamus, 9 will also display the total import and export register values.

Eva
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hmmm... my meter's not that smart. We don't get them in the rural Westcountry.

I've been trying to take a manual reading, but there seems to be a significant bug on the least-significant-digits:

I've tried orienting both antennae towards the nearest cell-phone mast, but to no avail :P

Can one of the Moderators (@Eva_OVO? @Emma_OVO) pass this to a member of the programming team and ask their advice?
Ah - a beautiful Peacock butterfly, @Transparent !

So we've spoken to the experts about this and they've suggested that you dress up as a flower to attract the butterfly away from the meter.

Once it's landed on you, you'll need to run outside and shake it off. Then run back to the meter and take a reading quickly!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Oh, that's really helpful, @Emma_OVO.

Can you pass on my thanks to your experts? I'm pleased to see the depth of their technical knowledge extends to such rural issues. Presumably your OVO meter installation engineers arrive on site with their own flower costumes in case they encounter such problems?

I'm sure we'd all appreciate seeing a photograph of that session on their training course 😛
I have just signed up with OVO. I haven't needed to read my (relatively new and complicated) meters before. Reading them is not so simple as they spout info nineteen to the dozen.

My electric meter has two different displays. One is called "Total Act Import" (a five-digit number). The other is called "Rate 01 Act Import" (a 4-digit number). Which of these should I be sending to OVO for my initial meter reading?

My gas meter has a display called "Meter Index", which reads 10005.693m3. Is that the number I should be sending to you?

Chris
Userlevel 5
I've moved your topic over here @cfgoodey as other users might find this helpful too.

Your electricity reading will show after the 'Rate 01 Act Import' and will be labelled as 'IMP KWH'. Your gas reading is the number shown as the 'Meter Index'.

Lucy
How do i read my gas smart meter, and what kind of figures should i expect.
I have a smart meter from Eon and I don't now haw too read it

Userlevel 7
How do i read my gas smart meter, and what kind of figures should i expect.

See the main topic post for info, @Ali51 @Gabriella

Pressing 9 on each meter's keypad will bring up the reading. The gas meter is in m3, which we then convert into kWh on your bill!