Solved

How can I take a dual-rate reading on my Secure Liberty 112 smart meter?

Userlevel 1

When using Secure Liberty 112, what does E1 mean?

And,  when pressing button 6, how do I stop the meter scrolling too fast through lots of info?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 8 March 2022, 12:27

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi there @Tim0548 !

I’m Blastoise186, one of the forum regulars. :)

If memory serves, E1 is related to which of the two tariff rates is currently active and E2 should be the other one. I can never remember which of the two is Day (Peak) and which is Night (Off-Peak) but it’s easy to figure out. Whichever one is showing at roughly 10am is the Day rate.

As for slowing the display down, I’m afraid there’s nothing you can do that I can think of unfortunately. Let me ask @Jess_OVO if she has any ideas.

Userlevel 1

Many thanks, that helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. I think I just had a brain wave actually. I know this trick works on Aclara meters, but I’m not sure about Secure. If you’re cool with testing it out and reporting back, that would be great.

I think you can press 6 repeatedly until you get to the right screen, after which it should stay there for a while before going back to sleep. It may or may not work, but it never hurts to try.

No idea why I didn’t think of that before though!

Userlevel 1

Thanks again, I’m doing this for my son so I don’t have access to the meter. What we’re really trying to do is get meter readings for the supplier. Is no.9 on thekeypad the way to go?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok, no worries. I can help out either way with this one.

If your son has Economy 7, you’ll want to press 6 so that you can grab readings from the IMP R01 and IMP R02 screens, but if he just has a flat rate tariff, it’s 9 instead and you’ll want the reading from the IMP KWH screen.

Secure designed this keypad based interface with the idea of making it easier to enter numeric codes if you’re on Pay As You Go. Sadly, they didn’t really think about usability for any of the other features! In actual fact, the only good thing about that keypad is that it makes entering top-up codes easier… And that’s about it...

Userlevel 1

Thanks again, but my son has sent me 18 photos from button 6, but none say IMP RO1 or 2

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. Would you mind posting all of them? Don’t worry about spamming the forum as I’ll only get notified once, even if you need to post several comments. And you can’t crash the forum easily either, I’ve tried that before and failed!

Userlevel 1

Do you mean the photos? and how do I attach them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s right. You can either drag them straight into the editor, copy/paste them or use the photo icon in the toolbar, it’s the one to the left of the quote marks. You can do several at once too, which will speed things up.

Userlevel 1

14 photos (hopefully)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Only one came through I’m afraid and my backup plan of having you email all the photos to forum@ovoenergy.com might take a while. Feel free to send an email that way with all the photos anyway and ask for them to be linked to this thread. Tim and Jess will be happy to assist with that if you’re struggling.

Userlevel 1

Done (hopefully)

Userlevel 7

Successfully received those meter photos, @Tim0548.

Not sure we’ve found the display you’re after but I’ll post them up here just for full visibility.

Quite a bit of information you’ve managed to view there, but none looks to me like a meter reading. This would usually be shown on screen alongside R01 or R02 (for the rate one or rate two reading).

I’ve just double-checked the advice we’ve given here previously and noticed you’ve got a slightly different meter model. Have you tried pressing the number ‘9’ button instead? If that fails to show the expected reading information, I’m in the process of finding a manual for this exact model so we can get to the bottom of this for you.

Do pop back if you manage to work it out in the meantime. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 1

Many thanks, a manual would be  be useful

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. I’ve joined the hunt as well as Jess. We’re both searching independently of each other, but if either of us find anything, we’ll definitely make sure you get a heads up.

Userlevel 7

I’ve managed to find a copy of the manual (It’s not easily shareable I’m afraid) and it looks like the ‘9’ button is the one to try, @Tim0548.

Give this a go and let us know if you’re still having trouble finding those Eco 7 readings. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Wow, that’s the fastest treasure hunt I’ve ever seen you do Jess! Nice one. :)

Userlevel 1

Again, many thanks. SSE/OVO are now sending somebody round to read the meter, so that solves the problem for now. However it would be good to know how to operate it for the future. Is there any way of knowing exactly what shows for button ‘9’ and in what order?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid I don’t have the menus documented or mapped for any Secure meters, so I’m reliant on what I can gather from elsewhere. I am tempted to use draw.io to map it out eventually though. Jess might get lucky there!

I can easily give you the menu maps for S2 Aclara meters though as I’ve got the manual for those in my archives. And the menu map for S1 Aclara meter is buried somewhere in the 40+ page PM thread I have with Tim. Maybe I’ll dig it up someday and do a proper writeup on it.

Userlevel 7

I’ve had a thorough read of the manual for you, @Tim0548, safe to say it’s quite complicated but I’ll do my best to summarise!

In order to take your day and night readings, you’ll need to press the ‘9’ button. The first display will show ‘1 DAY’ pressing ‘9’ again will show your day time reading. Press ‘9’ again, the next screen will show ‘2 NGT’, press ‘9’ which will then show your night reading. 

The rest of the displays you will then see by pressing the ‘9’ button will relate to Export readings, only relevant if you’ve got solar panels installed.

I hope this helps you get to grips with things. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I wish I could have a copy of that manual. I bet me and Luke could probably shoot through the whole thing in a couple of hours. :)

But sadly, I can’t think of a way to do that. These manuals are usually far too big to email, blow the attachment size limits for inSided and OVO’s Google Workspace config prevents files being shared externally.

Maybe I’ll find a copy someday I guess?

Userlevel 1

Thanks, once again, will try it

Tim

Userlevel 1

Tried pressing the ‘9’ button, - 1 DAY & 2 NGT don’t appear at all , all displays appear to have ’E1’

????

Tim

Userlevel 7

That doesn’t sound right, @Tim0548.

It could be that there’s a fault to your meter in that case. Have you been in touch with your supplier to check the meter readings are being received remotely? 

Hi all

I have a Secure Liberty 100 smart meter but can’t find the smart meter code - I’m trying to enter into USwitch

Thanks in advance