F.A.Q.

Geo Trio smart in home display (IHD) FAQs

• 5 August 2021
  • 22 replies
Geo Trio smart in home display (IHD) FAQs
Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Geo Trio In Home Displays - your FAQs

Whilst the In Home Displays (IHDs) supplied by OVO for SMETS1 smart meters were either Pipit or Chameleon devices, and are now Chameleon for SMETS2, suppliers may offer other models such as a Geo IHD. We’ve put together some common queries that you might be asking if you’ve switched to OVO with one of these.

How do I know which Geo IHD I have?

Geo has a few model types - Duet, Trio Touch Button, Trio Accessible and Trio Touchscreen. We’ll be linking out to individual topic guides to these soon. These devices will sometimes have a supplier’s branding on the front of the device but will look something like this -

Geo Trio Touchbutton

Geo Trio Touchscreen (1st generation)

Geo Trio Touchscreen (2nd generation)

Geo Trio Accessible

Will my Geo IHD work when I switch to OVO like it did with my previous supplier?

If you have SMETS2 smart meters, or your SMETS1 smart meters are enrolled and adopted into the DCC’s cloud (meaning they will remain ‘smart’ no matter what supplier you’re with), then your Geo IHD will continue working as usual when you switch supplier. 

Why is my Geo IHD showing ‘Connecting to Smart Meters’ or ‘waiting for data’?

Each time the Display is turned on it will show ‘Connecting to a smart meter...’ while establishing a connection. This can take up to five minutes. It may take up to one hour after the initial setup for the gas consumption to show on the screen.

If a Trio IHD stops showing your usage data and you can see the message ‘waiting for data’, this may mean that the device is out of range, or the IHD isn’t receiving all the meter data. We recommend checking the signal strength on the banner bar, and if it’s low, moving the device closer to the meter to see if this fixes things. The Touchscreen also has a handy orange warning triangle that appears on the top left of the screen when the signal strength is low. 

If problems persist, please reach out to our Support Team. They may recommend a ‘smart meter health check’, to make sure the meters and IHD are linked up ‘Paired’, and that there’s no issues with the ‘Home Area Network (HAN)’. You can do these checks in advance: for SMETS1 this is here, and SMETS2 this is here

How do I reset a Geo IHD?

Go to settings - the advanced settings menu includes:

• Reset device: Use this screen to remove all your user settings including budgets, alerts and credit warning level, WiFi settings and all consumption.
  • Reset settings: Clears all system settings including budget, display, colour theme, sounds/alerts, WiFi, and usage levels.
  • Reset data: Clears all historic consumption data and totals, including user messages and alerts. This can be used if you are moving house (and leaving the Trio) and want to clear this data.

Why is my Geo IHD screen blank?

• The screen may have turned itself off to save power, or the screen sleep timer is on. Press one of the touch buttons to switch it back on. This setting can be changed under the Settings.
  • If you’re using batteries to power the monitor, then the batteries may have gone flat. The battery icon will be shown when operating on battery power. The running time is four hours. Reconnect to the mains adaptor or replace the batteries. It’s generally recommended that the monitor is powered  using the power supply provided. That way you can be sure it’s renewable energy!

Why is my Geo IHD making a beeping noise?

Geo devices have a built in speaker which is used to notify you of alerts, messages and can also provide feedback when you interact with the display. You can adjust the volume, and turn off/on the different sounds via the Settings page.

Can I connect my Geo IHD to WiFi?

It depends, some energy suppliers that provide Geo IHDs come with the optional WiFi module, but not all do. To see if you have WiFi, just look at the banner bar: next to the HAN connectivity indicator should be the WiFi symbol, it will either show the WiFi symbol or a red cross. Either of these mean you have WiFi fitted. If neither of these symbols are showing, it means you don’t have a WiFi module on the device. For these examples, Geo offer the option of buying one: more info on their site here

Why is my Geo IHD only showing one fuel? (ie no gas or electricity data)?

The IHD should show both gas and electricity info, if the smart meter network is telling it there are two meters present. If you’re missing gas or electricity, please reach out to our Support Team. Again they may recommend a ‘smart meter health check’. You can do these checks in advance: for SMETS1 this is here, and SMETS2 this is here

If neither gas or electricity are showing on the IHD, try unplugging and plugging back in the device. If there’s no change, it might be an issue with the device. First we’d want to check everything is set up OK internally, so please reach out to our Support Team to get this checked.

Are there video guides I can access on these Geo IHDs? 

Oh yes there is, Geo have created some helpful videos on Youtube, you can see them all here. This is a handy overall guide for the Geo Trio Touchbutton:

How do I check my tariff and standing charge information account info on my Geo IHD?

• For the Touchbutton, press the ‘Home’ button, scroll to ‘Tariffs’, and then select either gas or electricity. 
  • For the Touchscreen, press the ‘Home’ button to access the ‘Quick access’ menu, and select ‘Tariffs’. 

How do I see my energy usage history on my Geo IHD?

• For the Touchbutton, press the ‘Home’ button, scroll to Electricity usage or Gas usage. From here you can view your energy history in hours, days, weeks or months. Use the Select/toggle button to switch between cost and kWh.
  • You can do the same thing on the Touchscreen to see your energy usage history, or there’s another way: from the home screen tap on the electricity dial or the gas flame to be taken straight to the usage history of that fuel. The Quick Access menu also has shortcuts to the usage history screens. 

How do I set an energy budget on my Geo IHD?

Setting a budget allows you to keep tight control of your spending. Here’s how to set this up:

• Tap the Home button/icon (for Geo Accessible it’s the burger menu).
  • Scroll to Settings and then select it, then to Budget.
  • Select the fuel type (electricity use or gas use) you’d like to set a budget for
  • Use the left and right arrows to decrease or increase the budget amount, tap the Select button when done.
  • Check the Energy today screen to see how you are doing against your budget. The energy history screens will also show you if you are over budget.

Have we missed any common questions? Please leave a comment to let us know so we can improve this content!

22 replies

The Geo Trio Touchbutton (Firware version 5.8 or greater) will display export data presented on the HAN.  My Aclara meter displays export readings but these do not show on my Geo Trio.  How can this data be shared on the Geo Trio? 

Userlevel 7

Shall we call in our friend from Geo, @Blastoise186?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s no-one better suited to answering this one than him :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

I currently don’t have an in home display. My cats destroyed my last one with keep knocking off where ever I put it.

Could I get one of these Geo IHD ? Geo Trio Touch button

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome back @joss !

I’m afraid OVO doesn’t currently supply Geo IHDs as far as I’m aware and you can’t buy them from Geo either. The only way to get one is via an energy supplier.

However… I do have options for you!

Hi,

Could someone help me please, I had a Geo Trio II IHD for some time which I was having trouble with, I requested a new one from OVO back in December and after chasing multiple times and being told there are supply chain issues, I finally get told I would receive a new model which has just been released.

However today I received a Geo Trio through the post. As you can imagine I’m quite confused, not sure how the Geo Trio can be a new model when I already had the Trio II. what on earth are OVO doing?

customer service are telling me that this is the model that is currently being sent out and apparently there is no new model. Are they just sending out reconditioned old products because they can’t get anything else?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please show me a photo of both IHDs.

It is also worth remembering that beggars can’t be choosers and when it comes to getting a free replacement IHD, you will ultimately get whatever the supplier happens to have available. If that means a refurb unit, then I’m afraid it will be a refurb unit.

It’s pretty much the same story anytime you RMA stuff and get it replaced.

You have options though:

Sorry if this is dead now :¬(
i have a Trio II but the meter does not show me meter readings
Under Meters->Electricity->Import reading 
it shows 58.6kwh instead of a meter reading

is there a way to get the IHD to show proper meter readings
im recovering stroke guy and i dont like going out to the meter cupboard and unlocking it to get my readings

appologise if im in wrong place/time :¬):¬)
Mac

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You shouldn’t need to do that - the meter should be submitting automatically.

Try https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com to report this.

Hi Blastoise,

Thank you for amazing fast reply

Although i trust the correct readings from my smart meter are transmitted
the point is…

i think i should be able to get the meter readings on my trio II
i have seen images of people showing proper meter readings not Kwh

this is a recent smart meter install
and i want to check the readings 

i seen an engineer and pin option

I'm guessing the installer didn't set this feature up of the fw is out of date

i dunoo thanks again

Mac

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The engineer menu won’t be relevant - the feature you’re after is pretty much always enabled by default.

Bear with me, I’m digging resources.

ty no rush :¬):¬)

Maybe an accidental export of 0.1w cause tjhe meter to go a bit bonkers

should look like the manual i guess

its not a wifi model either which would have solved everything localy :¬):¬)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… It’s possible you’re either looking in the wrong place, or the firmware on your device is massively older than what we’re used to here.

its defiantly the right place i now have a masters degree in the menu system :¬)

ty seems I'm now an outside triangle key button pushing torch wielding photo taking  reading getter - heheheh

is there any way to properly reset these devices not take the battery out?
actualy i did see some reset options i guess they are mot in the engineer bit so safe to do

if not ill shut up and get my torch out :¬)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not unless you want to permanently disable the IHD from reconnecting to the meter :)

eeek i dont want to do that its a good meter apart from this issue :¬)
im sure i would kill it hehe

bye bye and thank you alot for listenign to me

I just got a triangle key and checked my meter using the old school outside triangle and photo method
Elec 000059 Gas 000011 

I fell like such an idiot 
what has happened in this new trio II is 

instead of 6 digits they just show the real values
in fact the trio II is showing real numbers with fractions and
he meters outside show 6 digit integers (which is what i expected on the IHD)

This confused me to death but you all were telling me this all along
I feel so stupid now - but its all understandable

I am so sorry to have bothed you all and i realy appreciate the time you took to help me 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hehehe, it’s what we’re here for! :D

Now, there’s just the small matter of the bill for our services. That’ll be 400 million Yen please!

Hehehe, it’s what we’re here for! :D

Now, there’s just the small matter of the bill for our services. That’ll be 400 million Yen please!

Dam my Bank meters playing up i cant pay  :¬) cya

Userlevel 7

Hey @Mac123,

Sorry for the issues you’re having with your IHD,

Are you able to view your usage on the Online Account

If you sign up for the Priority Services Register you can book in for a smart meter health check to be conducted for you or for your meter to be read if needed.

Hope this helps. 

Hey @Mac123,

Sorry for the issues you’re having with your IHD,

Are you able to view your usage on the Online Account

If you sign up for the Priority Services Register you can book in for a smart meter health check to be conducted for you or for your meter to be read if needed.

Hope this helps. 

Every thing is ok now it as jsut me being a bit stupid :¬)

closed