Solved

Electric smart meter not sending readings but gas is?

Userlevel 3

Hi, 

Any idea why my gas meter sends smart reading but electric doesn’t? 

icon

Best answer by ChrisMac 28 October 2023, 22:52

View original

119 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @ChrisMac ,

We could do with some snaps of the meter for this one! :)

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 3

Thanks for response.

The meter was installed by Eon, think it did work okay when I changed to Ovo quite awhile ago now. Ovo did come out to reset electric meter by taking out fuse and talking to Ovo but it didn’t sort things. When you look at the readings on display it does show everything is okay but when looking at App or Web login it shows electric meter not sending readings. Gas has always sent readings. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks. Can you tell me what the WAN and HAN lights are doing on the Comms Hub please?

Userlevel 3

They are both flashing every 5 seconds 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

What colour?

Userlevel 3

Both lights flashing green

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Perfect, thanks! That says to me the WAN/HAN links are healthy so this is a bit easier. Can you run all this through https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com as that tool will pick up everything else and send it to the right team for you.

It might be an easy fix!

Userlevel 3

Completed and submitted with photo of meters location. 

Userlevel 3

Will Ovo get back to me? 

Userlevel 6

Hey @ChrisMac 

Yes, this will go through to the Support Team, and they’ll be in touch to let you know what they’ll be doing to get things fixed.

Userlevel 3

They did come out last year to fix but all they managed to do was break the anti-tamper wire on main fuse and break the loop where the wire goes through. So guess he just yanked fuse out!! Hopefully they have improved. 

Userlevel 3

Still not heard anything from them yet.

Userlevel 6

Hey @ChrisMac 

Sorry to hear that, I know it can take them a bit of time but they should pick that up soon and be in touch.

Regarding the anti-tamper etc previously being broken, we don't know the details of the report and what the engineer actually did and why, but if you have any concerns over the safety of the meter set up or the cables coming from the main fuse you should contact Support Team to discuss that. If it's the main fuse itself, it would be the DNO and if you feel anything has been done badly by an OVO engineer this should be discussed with our Support Team so it can be resolved as soon as possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @ChrisMac

If you haven't already you could try one of the ofgem regulated 3rd party apps to see if any of them can see the electricity readings

This is one quite a lot of regular posters use for example 

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

Do you have an IHD In Home Display? If so, is that displaying the readings? 

It is worrying this has been going on so long and ovo have already been out last year to try and fix it.

"They did come out last year..." 

The original issue you raised definitely should have not been closed by OVO as clearly OVO  can see they are not getting readings.

Something has gone wrong with the OVO processes as well as your meter issues, and potentially I should say an ovo engineer doing something questionable and dangerous. 

If you don't hear back from ovo this week I would consider putting in a complaint as this has been going on since last year. I don't think anyone would think that is an acceptable timeframe. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Feel free to keep posting your progress as one of the regular posters may always be able to offer some useful advice 

Userlevel 3

Thanks for the feedback. The meters were fitted by Eon and I am sure both were sending readings when I first joined Ovo. 
Will put in a complaint as you suggest. 

Userlevel 3

Hi all

I installed Hugo as suggested but after waiting over 24 hours it returned no data! 

Userlevel 7

Hey @ChrisMac,

That’s a shame Hugo also can’t communicate with your meter. 

The timeframe for the smart metering team to investigate the issue and contact you is 45 working days. Within this time they will attempt to fix the issues with the meter remotely, if they’re unable to do so they’ll contact you to book in an engineer appointment. 

If you’re concerned the support team may not have received your smart meter health check I'd advise contacting them via webchat to check. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @ChrisMac,

That’s a shame Hugo also can’t communicate with your meter. 

The timeframe for the smart metering team to investigate the issue and contact you is 45 working days. Within this time they will attempt to fix the issues with the meter remotely, if they’re unable to do so they’ll contact you to book in an engineer appointment. 

If you’re concerned the support team may not have received your smart meter health check I'd advise contacting them via webchat to check. 

Yep @Emmanuelle_OVO something has gone wrong as the 45 days has turned into over a year for the customer and an ovo engineer came out last year and it still isn't fixed. 

Am not having a go at you 😊

Userlevel 3

Hi Emmanuelle,

Seems my electric Smet2 meter fitted by Eon has never sent smart readings to Ovo.

I was hoping to give The Power Move Autumn Challenge ago but without a fully working meter that won’t be possible?

Do you think this issue is causing the problem still? Extract from Ovo email
I apologise, when you switched to us in 09/10/2020, it seems we had your old electricity meter details. I have now updated your meter details correctly and have billed you up to date. Your statement will be viewable through your online account within 24 hours.

ref 09487263 raised on your old billing system.

engineer did come out 6 October think in 2021? All he did was pull main fuse and spoke to Ovo.

Bottom line everything does seem to be in order except that the app and web portal show meter not sending smart readings. I did mention this anomaly to engineer but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. 

Regards

Chris McIntosh

Userlevel 3

@Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi Emmanuelle,

Seems my electric Smet2 meter fitted by Eon has never sent smart readings to Ovo.

I was hoping to give The Power Move Autumn Challenge ago but without a fully working meter that won’t be possible?

Do you think this issue is causing the problem still? Extract from Ovo email
I apologise, when you switched to us in 09/10/2020, it seems we had your old electricity meter details. I have now updated your meter details correctly and have billed you up to date. Your statement will be viewable through your online account within 24 hours.

*edited by moderator*

engineer did come out 6 October think in 2021? All he did was pull main fuse and spoke to Ovo.

Bottom line everything does seem to be in order except that the app and web portal show meter not sending smart readings. I did mention this anomaly to engineer but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. 

Regards

Chris M *edited by moderator*

Userlevel 7

Hey @ChrisMac,

You’ve done the right thing in completing a smart meter health check, the smart metering team will investigate and try and resolve the issues with the meter remotely. 

If they’re unable to do so, they’ll have to send another engineer to your property. 

If you’re unhappy with the timeframe, my advice would be to call customer support on 0330 303 5063 and see if they can nudge the smart support team.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 3

Okay thanks.

It’s quite frustrating I can’t join The Power Move Autumn Challenge

Userlevel 3

Hi all,

Seems Hugo has now found data for both gas and electric.
Does that help resolve why Ovo is only getting Smart gas reads? 
Thanks Chris 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@ChrisMac I would keep an eye out for 30 min data on the usage page. This is what the 3rd party apps can see

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=daily&unit=kwh

Also the daily readings page although the 3rd party apps can't see that data on the smart meter. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

See if any of the data comes back over the next week.

Probably worth making it clear to ovo you can now see 30min data on 3rd party apps.

It does point to potentially being an OVO IT problem rather than a smart meter issue, but obviously can't be certain.

You could also look at the MPAN and Meter serial number on your ovo electricity bill. See if they are the same as your actual meter. A customer has posted about that issue in the past.....