Solved

Electric smart meter not sending readings but gas is?

Show first post

119 replies

Userlevel 6

Hey @waiwurrie 

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having with the Electric readings.

Let us have the Forum Support reach out to you and see if they can help with this. Look out for a PM soon here: 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Abby

Forum support did contact me and I replied with some screenshots as requested but it has all gone quiet.  No sure if the requested info has got to them?

Meanwhile for general info -  3rd parties (Hildebrand etc.) continue to access all the 30minute data up to date.  Ovo systems continue to record smart meter reading for Gas but nothing for Electricity since 28th October.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

All,

My account is now showing 3 days of Smart electric reads after Forum support have looked into this problem. I don’t yet know what caused the meter to not send smart reads since joining Ovo.

Thanks to everyone who helped. 

It would be really useful to know what the problem was @Tim_OVO 

I have asked Forum Support what caused the fault, awaiting reply. 

Looks like they don’t want to share the fix! 

Hi @ChrisMac Did Forum Support ever say what the issue was?

Userlevel 3

All,

Smart reads are working fine now. Still no update as to what the fix was. 
I first joined Ovo in 2020 and an engineer was sent out early on to check electric meter as not sending Smart reads but the only outcome was damage to main fuse holder. I didn’t chase Ovo after that visit just accepted would have to send manual reads. 

Userlevel 6

Hi @waiwurrie 

I’ll check in with the team for you. 

It’s likely they’re doing some things in the background but I’ll check up in this for you and make sure they keep in touch.

Glad the third party apps are still receiving data, hopefully it’ll be easily resolved soon.

Hello

Very similar to another post I can see on the forums my gas smart meter is working fine and sending readings to Ovo however my electric is not sending any readings.

Weirdly, my in-home display for the smart meter is communicating fine between both my gas and electric meters and I can see my usage and costs. Also I downloaded the Hugo app and I can see both my gas and electric usage. It's just OVO who aren't receiving my readings for electricity but my meters must be working fine?

Similar to the other post I have recently switched from EON and they had installed the new meters.

I have filled in the 7 questions that OVO support emailed me to troubleshoot this issue but given the response time I was hoping to get this sorted quicker as I need my smart meter to use the charge anytime EV tariff.

Given it seems my meters are working perfectly fine is something needed to be done at Ovo's end to fix this issue?

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you switched less than six weeks ago, the meters might still be migrating. Try giving it more time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Golty 

Can you see any smart meter readings on this page?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Hi @Golty 

Can you see any smart meter readings on this page?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

No I can't, I can only see the manual reading I've done

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Golty it would be worth asking ovo to double check what they have set as the meter reading frequency for your electricity 

What date did you switch to ovo ?

Only on 7th Nov, perhaps I'm been overly quick on this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Only on 7th Nov, perhaps I'm been overly quick on this.

You will have to leave it a bit longer I suspect to see if there is a real issue.

One of the challenges is the dataset 3rd parties like Hugo can access on smart meters is different to energy suppliers. Also the approach they get the data can be different.

Also Hugo are allowed to pull off historical data and OVO can't access the data if the meter is still registered with another supplier.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Golty,

It sounds like it’s likely due to the recent switch. But do keep us posted! 

If it doesn’t gain communications you may need to fill in a smart meter health check.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Don't hold your breath. I have been with ovo for years. As of 28th october my electricity readings stopped but everything else continued. Much the same as you though I use the hildebrand/Bright app. Case raise as you, private message from forum support or two but it still isn't working!

As we move to the brighter future of demand based charging, time or day based tariffs etc the existing infrastructure/design clearly isn't up to it.  This isn't faulty comms from the meter as gas and electricity come the same way, it is configuration, operation and process design that are at fault!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

All,

Smart reads are working fine now. Still no update as to what the fix was. 
I first joined Ovo in 2020 and an engineer was sent out early on to check electric meter as not sending Smart reads but the only outcome was damage to main fuse holder. I didn’t chase Ovo after that visit just accepted would have to send manual reads. 

Did you ever get an update on what the fix was @ChrisMac 

There are some other posters with similar issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @waiwurrie 

It’s likely they’re doing some things in the background but I’ll check up in this for you and make sure they keep in touch.

Glad the third party apps are still receiving data, hopefully it’ll be easily resolved soon.

Did you ever find out what the fix was @Emmanuelle_OVO 

There are some other posters with similar issues so it might help, albeit impossible to know for certain.

Userlevel 7

Hey @waiwurrie,

Really sorry to hear that,

I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out again. Please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Userlevel 3

Hi @waiwurrie 

Did you ever find out what the fix was @Emmanuelle_OVO 

There are some other posters with similar issues so it might help, albeit impossible to know for certain.

No, still don’t know what was causing the problem.

Userlevel 7

Forum_Support will reach out @ChrisMac, please keep an eye on your private messages.