Solved

Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) lost connection with smart meters - Any tips to get reconnected?

• 17 November 2017
  • 65 replies

Show first post

65 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

OK, thanks.

Userlevel 5

I've managed to get a IHD to @mboursnell and set it up remotely :-) 

Edit: and by managed I mean first class from the back of the van and remotely commissioned through site support 😂

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks to @Lukepeniket_OVO for sorting it out. We are now up and running!

OVO upgraded my Gas and Electric Meters in early March.
The Gas Meter has always shown data on the IHD, but not the Electric Meter.
The meters are less than 1 metre apart and the IHD is 4 metres away with only a front door in between them.
The Installer said it would take up to 48 hours to connect. (and left!)
It’s now well over the 6 weeks quoted on the OVO FAQ pages and I’ve been told that a ‘pairing message has been sent’ on two separate occasions by OVO.

Both Meters are providing automatic readings to OVO.
The Meter is a Landis & Gyr E470 Type 5533.
All the signalling on the  comms unit LEDs is what I’d expect based on the OVO FAQs

Come on OVO, get this sorted…. you were the ones who pressured me into fitting them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Testpilot they do take a while to connect but should be connected by now. Just so that you  are aware, this isn’t a direct channel to OVO. No one here has access to your account and it’s mainly other customers here. 
You may have been through this but if you can, it’s worth moving the IHD closer to the electric meter for a while to see it that helps. Leaving it disconnected for several minutes might help beforehand also. 
Incidentally, which IHD do you have .. it’s often printed underneath 

Userlevel 7

Are OVO getting your smart meter readings OK, @Testpilothttps://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Is it just the home area network connection between the electricity meter and the In Home Display?  This guide might help you diagnose:

Thanks BPLightLog
Its’s an IHD3 version.
I tried the Off…. wait …. On but problem still persists.
Even with the IHD right next to the meter it still doesn’t show the electric meter data.
Given the comms unit is connected to the electric meter and the Gas meter is less than 30 cm from the electric meter and the Gas meter readings come through fine, I don’t think it’s a proximity issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks BPLightLog
Its’s an IHD3 version.
I tried the Off…. wait …. On but problem still persists.
Even with the IHD right next to the meter it still doesn’t show the electric meter data.
Given the comms unit is connected to the electric meter and the Gas meter is less than 30 cm from the electric meter and the Gas meter readings come through fine, I don’t think it’s a proximity issue.

No, that sounds about right. Can’t think of much else with the IHD but just in case it’s of use, there are several authorised third party apps which can give some good info .. although not as quickly as the IHD 🤷‍♂️

Theres Hugo, Loop and Ivie for example 

Tim_OVO
The lights are all correct and flashing at a rate which indicates proper connections.
As the Gas meter connects via the HAN, it must be passing data to the IHD.
Clearly the electric meter isn’t sending data to the Comms Hub.
Both Meters are sending correct meter readings to OVO according to my Portal.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Testpilot 

Sorry about the trouble you’ve been having with the IHD.

I think the best thing to do now will be to fill out this form for the support team so they can look into the problem in detail for you. There can be a number of reasons for the issue, so it will be best for the team to investigate this. 

They’ll look into the results and run any tests they can on their side, and get back to you with the next step.

Abby_OVO,
I filled out the form a while back.
At the end it says that it can take up to 45 days to hear back.
That’s ‘unreasonable’ from my perspective.
I called OVO yesterday.
1st call took 20 minute to get through and as soon as I outlined the issue, I was ‘conveniently’ cut off.
2nd call took a further 40 minutes, but I am being sent a new IHD which will be about 2 weeks wait.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Testpilot,

Sorry to hear about the long wait times you’ve experienced.

I’m glad to hear that they’re sending you a new IHD now, hopefully this will be the resolution to the problem you were having with it.

I know how frustrating it can be so I’ve attached our Complaints Procedure here for you, if you wish to raise one or to leave some feedback on your experience.

My new Chameleon IHD touch screen has stopped responding. I have looked at various on line help articles here and on the web (including Chameleon Technologies own website) and i can see no answer as to if it is possible to turn my IHD off in the hope of resetting it. It is an IHD3-PPMID-AAA so there is no button on the back. How  can i turn if off and again to see if that ‘resets’ it? 
The touch screen was working ok, but i then relocated the IHD to another room as i had noticed when i logged into MYOVO the other day that it is not sending my gas meter readings. After i move it to the other room the touchscreen stopped working, i do not know if it got knocked when i was unfurling the power cable so it reached the plug socket. It’s certainly not been dropped or bashed so i am i confused as to why it’s displaying a reading ok none of the touch buttons are now responding.
I’ve unplugged it at the moment in the hope the battery will run out and it will therefore switch off and hopefully ‘start’ again when plugged back in?
Any advice would be appreciated as after having this for less than 2 weeks, it’s lack of sending my gas readings and now this touchscreen issue are leaving me underwhelmed with this move to smart meters…
Thanks in advance
Rojo

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @RojoMojo , it does sound like the IHD is stuck and a reboot (not a reset) might be useful. Here’s a Chameleon details including a guide 

https://chameleontechnology.co.uk/inhomedisplayhelp/

Taking power off and then restarting may well get things going but bear in mind that it’s your smart meter, not the IHD that sends readings to the data centre and supplier. 

Thanks, i probably was not all that clear in my post. I suspect there are two separate issues, one with my smart meter not sending info to OVO on my usage, and i have raised this separately. The second issue was that i noticed my IHD was no longer giving me my gas usage either. I thought this could be connectivity issue so moved it to another room so it was physically closer to the gas meter hoping this would improve things. After moving the IHD i have then discovered the touchscreen is not longer working so i cannot look at just my electric usage for example or look back on my weekly usage. No of of the touch buttons work. I had already looked at the Chameleon website but for the IHD3-PPMID-AAA there is no real trouble shooting info, and there’s no on /  off button on the back. I may attempt to remove the battery but again there is no useful info on the Chameleon website about the correct way to do this.
Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The webpage I posted a link to has a guide for the IHD. It’s here
If you have a battery inserted, you could remove it for a few minutes (not just a few seconds) and put it back in to restart. 
There’s also a guide to IHD’s on the forum 

I have a SMETS1 installed in 2017. I am trying to connect my IHDU and followed the online help but only get so far,  as there isn’t an option for no HAN light. 
I only have electric and just want to be able to see my usage in real time. 
Can anybody help please? 🙏🏼 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @tger ,

Please show us photos of everything. I must advise however that you can’t just pair any random IHD. Which one are you trying to pair and where did you get it from?

I have an IHDU 6 which I received from you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gotcha.

Please call OVO in the morning to attempt pairing. 0330 303 5063 as you need them to do it with you.

Does the meter respond at all if you press any key such as 6 or 9?

It does respond

6 = Tariff

9 = numbers which I think are the kWh’s used

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gotcha. In that case, have a chat with the Support Team and they’ll get that IHD paired up for you.

Ok chatted to the support team and it is still not working  The issue seems to be with the fact that there is no HAN light on for my meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com can probably fix that. Give it the info as best you can, and if there’s no option for “off”, use “flashing”

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’ve been congratulating my heat pump on running so well it’s hardly using any electricity when I realised the ihd wasn’t connected 🤦‍♀️. Any suggestions please ?