Solved

Can Energy Suppliers manipulate smart meter reading remotely?

• 16 June 2023
  • 1 reply

I’ve heard that energy suppliers can remotely control smart meters in order to even cut off the energy supply to a certain property. It made me wonder if they can remotely override the meter reading by adding extra units on top of the actual usage regularly. If they have remote control access to it, when/if a customer complains regarding an abnormal increase, they can even remotely adjust it so that the meter would not be seen as faulty during any inspection.

Is there a guarantee or a way to validate that this would never happen to smart meter users? 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 16 June 2023, 09:42

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

Firstly, the ability to remotely disconnect is heavily locked down and comes under the exact same rules as getting a warrant to force disconnection i.e. it is an absolute last resort.

As for meter readings, no these cannot be remotely adjusted or changed under any circumstances. Firstly, there’s not even a SMETS Command for it and no SMETS Command means it can’t be done. Secondly, doing such a thing would be highly illegal and Ofgem would probably catch on rapidly. And thirdly, security measures on the meters themselves makes pulling off such a stunt almost impossible anyway.

Likewise, there is no option to modify, change or adjust the reading locally either. The only way the reading can change is when it is measuring energy in the course of normal usage or while being tested. If memory serves, the ONLY way to modify a reading on a Smart Meter is to return the entire unit back to the manufacturer and have the manufacturer do it. However, by that stage chances are the meter won’t be put back into service in the field anyway.

I know what those measures are, but it’s a bit of a secret so I can’t discuss it here as I don’t want to give away any clues that could enable tampering (nor do I want the liability risks either).