Solved

I'm getting an electric vehicle (EV) charger but how to get my meter tails upgraded and a DP isolation switch fitted? Who and how much?

Show first post

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As far as I’m aware, I don’t think the OLEV Grant can cover this work, but it’s worth checking the terms and discussing this with OVO just in case. But for the most part, I think it just covers the charger itself.

Userlevel 7

Great to see some excellent peer-peer support going on here!

Hoping this helps you in making the decision on getting that isolator installed, @tony1tf. Our Support Team will be happy to help arrange that appointment for you - don’t forget the quickest way to reach the team is via our Live chat which you can access by clicking ‘Message us’ on this page.

As isolator switches are not only installed to support EV chargers I believe @Blastoise186 is right in thinking that the OLEV grant wouldn’t cover this part of the installation. There’s more advice on all things OLEV on this great guide written by our content team.

Hope this helps - Let us know how you get on! :slight_smile:

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

This is now resolved, as ChargedEV have accepted that they are upgrading my  3.3kW Charger, so can use the existing Distribution box with a higher rated breaker. No need for the isolation switch.

Tony

Badge

Ordered ev car in March, SSEN inform me that my incoming power cable is looped of neighbour so need to get unlooped and upgraded to 100 amp cutout fuse which thankfully is being done at zero cost , apart from the digging up of driveway which I can bear. But to get this work done meter tails need to be upgraded from 16mm to 25mm so arranged that through OVO at cost sounds pretty straightforward and this is where the problems begin, engineer booked for 2nd June took a day's holiday leave for his/her arrival,  no show and no contact from anyone beforehand,  Rebooked for 27th June and again no show, no contact and 2 days holiday leave lost. Now OVO have informed me that engineer has been Rebooked for September,  are they having a laugh, this totally messes up schedule for the unlooping and has me fuming 😤,  Does anyone know if I can get my payment refunded and employ an electrician to upgrade the tails by myself as this is beyond the joke and please don't mention the £30 compensation as it in know way makes up for the hassle and lost holiday's. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid only OVO can do it. You can’t have an electrician do it because the meter is owned by the supplier.

Source: I’m an experienced forum volunteer here and I often take on questions like this one.

Badge

Anyone else having a long wait to get meter tails upgraded or is it just me ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I'm not aware of anyone else who has posted here about it 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Colzee,

I’m really sorry to hear of the experience you’ve had,

There’s always the option to raise a complaint, you might be able to ask for a priority appointment. Especially if you are being disadvantaged by the delay. 

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Badge

Raised a complaint already, not had any response and to be honest don't think OVO give 2 hoots about it all, just say lack of capacity for my area regarding engineer's,  if engineer fails to turn up for 3rd appointment will be switching supplier, had enough of it.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Colzee,

Really sorry to hear this,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out, keep an eye on your private messages. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Colzee keep an eye on this page for a message as per the post from@Emmanuelle_OVO

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

Badge

Thank you as it totally messes up schedule for Ev charger getting fitted and sure they could get engineer to turn up long before September 

Badge

Got a call from SMS this morning and they are saying OVO are just booking engineer's for appointments without checking 1st they have availability for the areas,  so Sept is the earliest they will have an engineer available for the Aberdeen area, guess they need enough appointments to fill his day to make it worth the journey from Glasgow where they are based.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Got a call from SMS this morning and they are saying OVO are just booking engineer's for appointments without checking 1st they have availability for the areas,  so Sept is the earliest they will have an engineer available for the Aberdeen area, guess they need enough appointments to fill his day to make it worth the journey from Glasgow where they are based.

Did you get sorted in the end @Colzee ?

Badge

Afraid not,  sept 8th for meter tails and isolation switch fitting , fingers crossed. A week this Monday SSE coming to upgrade incoming mains cable and upgrade cut out fuse to 100amp, suspect they will just go ahead with work, leave me on my current 60amp and then send someone back out to change fuse to 100amp after SMS have done the meter tails. Car due for delivery end of this month, so everything might , just might work out fine in the end. But honestly what a long drawn out process, car, unlooping , meter tails and to top it off OVO charge anytime are far too slow in introducing more car manufactures to list of compatible vehicle's , not surprised people are jumping ship to Octopus energy. Kia one of the best selling EV in UK for last few years and they don't support this maker, not good enough. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Afraid not,  sept 8th for meter tails and isolation switch fitting , fingers crossed. A week this Monday SSE coming to upgrade incoming mains cable and upgrade cut out fuse to 100amp, suspect they will just go ahead with work, leave me on my current 60amp and then send someone back out to change fuse to 100amp after SMS have done the meter tails. Car due for delivery end of this month, so everything might , just might work out fine in the end. But honestly what a long drawn out process, car, unlooping , meter tails and to top it off OVO charge anytime are far too slow in introducing more car manufactures to list of compatible vehicle's , not surprised people are jumping ship to Octopus energy. Kia one of the best selling EV in UK for last few years and they don't support this maker, not good enough. 

The government and industry are aware of the bottlenecks. It is going to be hard to scale up home charging and heat pumps without some changes. For example the ENA (Energy Networks Association) are looking into options around other people being allowed to change the cutout fuse. 

Certainly strange that kia is on the Intelligent Octopus list but still not on the ovo list. 

Badge

Did you get sorted in the end @Colzee ?

All sorted SMS turned up on 3rd appointment, then engineer asks me what work he has to do 😮anyway installed isolation switch and upgraded meter tails and immediately after he left went online and switched to octopus energy, now charging off peak and wouldn't go back to OVO if they paid me , zero interest in their customers. 

If you have an isolation switch fitted by Ovo do they “reenergise” the property afterwards? Customer services just advised that because the meter tails from the isolation switch are not their responsibility you would then need a private electrician to come along on the day and connect these. Seems a bit odd to me they would install the isolation switch and not reconnect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As far as I’m aware, re-energising the property is part of that job. But I have ways I can find out. Bear with me!

Userlevel 7

The OVO engineer should de-energise the supply to fit the isolation switch, and then re-energise the supply when they’re finished. This will be at a cost of £158.25 if it’s a single phase supply. More info here:

I’m sorry if you were advised differently. Feel free to link to this topic in a webchat so the advisor you speak to can see this and then help get the appointment booked if it’s not already.