Solved

What is OVO’s complaints procedure?

Show first post

103 replies

OVO process and procedures don’t and you can’t get to speak with anyone!

Bought a new property where OVO is the electricity supplier and the previous owner left a debt. How you can leave a huge debt when it’s a pre-paymnet meeting I don’t undertand, but that’s another matter... 

Tried to take over the supply and get the debt cleared using website / web-chat / email but none of this achieved a result. 

Tried calling, but placed on hold for one hour and then cut-off.

How do I get the eletric switched on and how do I get the previous owner’s debt cleared?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This comment was left by an independent forum volunteer

This is actually quite common - and the problem is not OVO. You’re calling on a Monday, so it’s predictable that the lines of every energy supplier in the UK will be absolutely rammed to the max. Try again later in the week and it’ll be easier.

Please use Webchat for the fastest results.

You need to set up an account before you can do anything else - this will enable the debt to be wiped as it’s not yours, and in turn restore supply.

Userlevel 2

This comment was left by an independent forum volunteer

This is actually quite common - and the problem is not OVO. You’re calling on a Monday, so it’s predictable that the lines of every energy supplier in the UK will be absolutely rammed to the max. Try again later in the week and it’ll be easier.

Please use Webchat for the fastest results.

You need to set up an account before you can do anything else - this will enable the debt to be wiped as it’s not yours, and in turn restore supply.

Sounds like he has already tried all options so not sure why you keep making excuses for Ovo’s shocking customer service.  

I went 30 years with SSE without the slightest problem and within 2 weeks of migration had 2 massive errors, one of which I have been fighting for 8 weeks coming up on Friday.  It’s shocking how many customers are having to resort to the Ombudsman before they seem to get any results.  

I rue the day SSE sold out to OVO 😪

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

On the other hand, I had massive problems with SSE for three years that OVO managed to fix within days. The massively overly-complicated phone tree was the least of those problems…

But one of the things OVO does have which barely any other supplier in the UK has - and SSE definitely never did have - is a community forum like this one. We’re able to come up with unique and creative solutions that go beyond the scope of what a regular support team does, or at the very least make you better off informed that can help you later.

If you’re having a problem, please, by all means create a thread on the forum and we’ll try to advise you as best we can. However, if you don’t tell us what your problem is, then unfortunately we haven’t invented a TARDIS yet and cannot predict your question. But as far as I can tell Maureen, you have posted a lot of comments on the forum, but have yet to post a question that I can find.

In actual fact, as a Forum Volunteer here, I have access to additional information that helps to tell the story from angles you might not think of. It’s all the angles combined that form my opinions.

Not everything you see in the news or on this forum tells the full story. Once you’ve been here for a couple of years, you start to learn the real story - that people might be happier than what you see publicly.

The biggest problem with a PAYG debt like this one is when the meter is left spinning for long periods during a void property - it gets into a debt state and digs deeper. That’s not OVO’s fault, that’s just because no-one’s feeding the meter!

As for SSE? I’ll echo the thing I’ve said a great many times on this forum. They wanted to quit the market since around 2017 and OVO was their second attempt at it. The deal with npower fell through in 2018 and got abandoned. Perhaps it was for the best that npower didn’t take it on…?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There are a number of ways of looking at energy supplier customer service. Here are a few. 

Which 

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/energy-companies/article/best-and-worst-energy-companies/which-energy-survey-results-ajqM43e6ycY8

Citizens Advice

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-a-better-energy-deal/compare-domestic-energy-suppliers-customer-service1/

Trustpilot, a few examples

4.2 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

4.8 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/octopus.energy

4.5 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.outfoxthemarket.co.uk

4.4 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/shellenergy.co.uk

4.3 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.utilita.co.uk

4.2 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/eonnext.com

4.2 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.edfenergy.com

4.0 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.scottishpower.co.uk

3.9 https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.britishgas.co.uk

Userlevel 7

Hey @PALG,

Really sorry to hear of the issues you’re having,

Have you been able to get through via web chat?

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

We moved into our new house in July 2022, where OVO was the provider for the solar panels we bought with the house. 

We are now in November 2023, 18 MONTHS AFTER WE GOT THE HOUSE, and we still haven't been paid for our rebate. 

We have had endless conversations, both email and phone, with the latest excuse being the bank details were wrong. We resubmitted the bank details, and was advised it would be 5 days to receive the money, and we are 1.5 weeks past this date and still no rebate. 

What options do i have to request compensation and escalate the complaint further, as its super frustrating that I have to constantly chase for my money for over 18 months, with absolutely no resolution. 

Any help will be super helpful.

Userlevel 6

Hi @astaigm 

I’m really sorry to hear about all of this.

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum, so we’re unable to carry out account specific actions. 

Of course, it would be better if the team can resolve this without needing to action a complaint, but under these circumstances it’s understandable that you’d want to escalate a complaint in your case. You can do all of this here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback.

Keep us updated with how you get on with this issue, it could be helpful for other users in similar circumstances.

Dear OVO Energy Forums,

I am facing an issue where I would like to transfer my FIT payments from OVO Energy to Octopus Energy.

I had a Tesla Powerwall fitted in June 2023, as per the requirements I emailed OVO Energy the schematic of my install, letting them know it did not impact my FIT payments / generation etc. as it’s a completely separated system, but it needs to be added to the CFR as per FIT licensee obligations.

I then initiated the process to move my FIT Payments from OVO to Octopus.

However, Octopus state that they cannot transfer the FIT payments because OVO have not added my Powerwall to the CFR.

I have been trying since June to have Ovo Energy add my Powerwall into the CFR so I can complete the FIT Transfer, but OVO do not seem capable of doing this.

I have an escalation ticket, I have a complaint number.  I phone once a week and each week, it’s the Back Office has it, and yet nothing is ever done.  I’m now out of pocket around £500 from lost export payments.

How can I get OVO to just add my Powerwall into the CFR, so I can be rid of them and have Octopus sort everything for me?

Thanks,

SJCBikes

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @sjcbikes unfortunately issues with FIT and SEG appear every week on the forum these days.

If it has been over 8 weeks since you submitted your complaint you can ask the Energy Ombudsman to help

https://www.energyombudsman.org/

Alternatively you could email the ovo CEO, include as much info as possible on your complaint. There is some info in the screenshot below. 

Raman-complaints@ovoenergy.com

8 months ago I sent SSE an up to date meter reading that was significant lower than their previous estimate.

As a result they sent me a refund to correct the balance. Meaning as of that point my readings, billinga and payments were all accurate. 

2 weeks later I got an email saying I was being moved on to a monthly direct debit - I didn't ask for this. I was happy to receive a quarterly bill and then pay it. But apparently this was no longer possible.

They set my direct debit at an amount I judged to be approximately double what it should be, but I wasn't concerned, I assumed I would build up a credit, then could reduce it.

They took 4 payments, then I was automatically migrated to OVO. 

After another 3 payments they have said I'm paying too much and are going to reduce the amount, to a figure closer what I anticipated.

Anyway, tonight I logged on to my account for the first time, expecting to see a credit of approx £500 or so. However it was less than half of this.

After attempting to decipher months of different bills, in different formats and layouts it appears that when the migration occured (not from me changing suppliers, it was their takeover/rebrand/whatever), they only transferred approx £30 credit, despite me paying up to that point nearly £300.

From what I can gather this is because in those initial 4 months (from 21 Feb to 06 June) I paid nearly £300 of direct debits, and they've assumed via estimated readings, I've used 144 units. (In spring / early summer) 

I've just done an actual reading and from 21 Feb to today 8th Nov I've only used 210 units.

Cynically I'm also dubious about the timing of it, the hugely over estimated period is when the unit price was significantly more expensive (nearly 40% more so) 9.78p opposed to 7.02p

How would I go about correcting this? - If the unit price wasnt so wildly different, I wouldn't be concerned because it would even itself out, but the incorrect over payments are during the significantly more expensive period, where to make it more insulting our gas usage was significantly less!

Any contact information or pointers to departments / email address wouls be greatly appreciated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

Your options can be found on https://ovoenergy.com/feedback for this. Please make sure to read the entire page carefully first as it explains the entire process. Just as a tip, try to avoid jumping the gun if you can - skipping stages won’t make things any faster.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Antman,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If the final meter reading on the closing statement from your previous supplier, and opening reading from OVO are out of line estimates you may be eligible for a read dispute:

Hi,

new to this forum,

glad I found it as having issues with ovo, or should I say Arthur Daleys cowboys.  

I’m pulling my hair out with this company ovo.
I was migrated from sse and was in credit by300 pounds after
Sending regular meter readings and direct debit payments, 
And have been with ovo  for about a year, in credit and sending readings each month,
On November this year moved back in with my parents to help save for a house and phoned ovo with my final readings,
There app said 700 pounds in credit and I look forward as it would help towards Xmas, 
A week later I checked the app and to my horror I was 5000 pound in debt.
I been on the phone everyday to ovo as this is causing me stress and they just say it because your not fully migrated yet,
But I have received an email saying I was,
You phone them and explain your problem and they put you on hold and after 45 mins,it rings off or get taken up by another customer service adviser and have to start again and they put you back on hold and then it ends call ,
You ring again and go round in circles, asking to speak to a manager, sorry manger don’t take calls..
Best we can do is put in a request for someone to phone you with 48 hours,
They never do and just fob you off.
They mentioned collection agent or balliffs and I was terrified.
The company are so so bad and wish I had never got transferred.
I put in a complain but not holding my breath.
It’s one of these company you want to drive down to their call centre and kick off.
I will carry on calling them but have to wait for six weeks before going to ombudsman,

Any advice…. Bryan 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Brybry44 ,

Your best bet in this case is the options found at https://ovoenergy.com/feedback .

Please review ALL the options on that page - don’t just go straight for the first one you see.

Had difficulty complaining, because every time I visited the page that tells me the process, I was immediately redirected into the web chat I had been using. Maddening. I just wanted an email address to send my complaint to. I rang up and they told me to use trustpilot. I don't understand the process because I stil can't view the web page. I somehow found the address complaints@ovoenergy.com and sent it there. The telephone person raised a complaint for me. I put it on trustpilot too. Still have no idea whether any of this will get linked up... Or responded to.... I still cannot view the complaints process page. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback works for me. I can’t find an issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge

I was immediately redirected into the web chat I had been using. 

If you’re on your phone, can you see a little minimize button ( — ) in the top right-hand corner of the chat window? That should get rid of the conversation and reveal the page beneath.

If you can’t, which phone and browser are you using? 

Userlevel 7

Does the advice from our Community Members help @Patient1

Hi 

can anyone advise if OVO provide actual answers to questions raised in a complaint email / letter? 

when I moved into a property 2022 I found out my meters both gas and electric had been registered against my neighbour. After a period of months and me proving the meter numbers etc this was  ‘rectified’ 

About 3 weeks ago my balance shown on the OVO app went from £130 positive on a Friday to MINUS £990 the next day. Just completely out of the blue. 

I raised this and was told it was correct. However I noticed on my OVO app my electrical serial number was correct but the pdf bills had started to reference estimated bill based on the neighbours meter again. Very odd especially as they are with British Gas and not OVO. My meter is also correct on the national database. 

I took the time to write an email asking various questions  on how this happened and how it was even possible after a year but all I seem to be told is ‘it won’t happen again’ via a phone call 

£10 was offered for the I convince and to ‘close the complaint’ 

im just wondering will I ever get the questions raised in the email and letter I sent to the complaints dept or will this just be classed as a ‘technical error’ 

no one seems capable of telling me why after a year I was getting charged for the wrong electrical meter again al of a sudden  , and how OVO can ‘assure me it won’t happen again’ when they don’t know how it happened is baffling 

it’s really disappointing to be treated like this when I pay my bill via direct debit every month , OVO should not stress people like this then be unable to answer why it happened 

also when a customer takes the time to write a letter asking specific questions they should have the decency to atleast reply covering the questions raised 

Userlevel 7

Hey @callumrust,

I’m sorry for the issues you’re having,

I’ll ask Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages.

Hello all,

wonder if anybody has any idea about how to get OVO to interact with me.

They fitted a meter for me at my home knowing full well that there was a solar system at the address but they fitted a meter without an export option.

Now the fits team simply refuse to interact with me on this case. I keep ringing them and they waste my time on the phone but produce no resolution at all.

I have a complaint ref no with OVO and a ref for the fits application which was registered 5 weeks after the initial email I sent them that they have completely ignored.

Every time I have called them they know nothing about my emails and have to find them again - which they do - so they are literally just ignoring my emails.

Does anybody have a magic way of getting OVO to actually interact with there customers and resolve issues with meters and fits application ?

Cheers

Martin 

I have an update …. I called OVO again and was put thorough to the fits call center who this time told me that the ref no I had from them from last month has no information attached to the ref no !!

So they have now attached the email to the case ref and I await with baited breath some form of response from them !

It just gets better …. I was given a number in the UK for OVO complaints 0330 102 7400 so I called that and again explained my issues - sat on hold for 10 mins while the very polite lady looked into the issues - she put me on hold and I fell back into the South African Call center and was answered by somebody who I was just the next call for.

The SA call center has no way of escalation past the person that answers the phone so I’ve raised another complaint about being thrown around the call centers. 

Just spend another hour on the phone trying to actually get to talk to somebody who can or wants to try and help with this issue and got nowhere

So far the only person I have found who sounds like they care is Crystal in Managment squad 48

But she’s impossible to track down. 

After an hour on the phone there phone system cut me off …..

I can’t believe I actually signed up with these people ….. and I can’t believe they are still being allowed to trade...