Solved

What is OVO’s complaints procedure?

I’ve been having ongoing issues since our migration from SSE on 20th February. Still getting nowhere and have made 3 phone calls to the customer service team. Made a formal complaint and all they could say was they can’t access my account as it’s still in the migration period. It will take another 10 days for my complaint to be resolved even though my previous complaint (10 days ago) hasn’t been resolved yet. 

can you tell me what the complaints procedure is? The guy I spoke to at resolutions was super creepy and told me to go and look after my kids 🙄

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 3 May 2023, 19:18

View original

103 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The guy I spoke to at resolutions was super creepy and told me to go and look after my kids 🙄

Whaaat ?? That’s not very ‘OVO’ !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 18/09/23 by Abby_OVO

The guy I spoke to at resolutions was super creepy and told me to go and look after my kids 🙄

Whaaat ?? That’s not very ‘OVO’ !!

Agree that doesn't sound right under any circumstances. 

I think calls to OVO are recorded.

The complaint process is here. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Basically 8 weeks after submitting your complaint if it is not resolved you can ask the Energy Ombudsman for help. 

Make sure you have a complaint case number. You should also be given the name of a complaint handler. 

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

Alternatively you can try asking for a deadlock letter before that. 

Thank you for getting back to me. That’s helpful information.

Yes, I was quite taken aback by the whole thing to be honest!

Is it possible to be gaslighted by a company? 

made a complaint yesterday and spoke to someone in the resolutions team. Received a call today whilst at work (which I couldn’t answer) and then an email asking me to call the resolutions team to discuss the resolution to my complaint. Spent another hour on the phone tonight to be told I haven’t made a complaint. Huh?! 

Userlevel 6

Hey @KatyL 

I’m really sorry to hear about your recent calls with OVO and how they’ve made you feel. That’s definitely not the kind service we aim for and I want to help as much as I can to help get this sorted for you.

The best thing to do next will be to contact the number they’ve provided to you again if they did leave a number to contact, as this would suggest the complaint has been raised and escalated.

Otherwise, if they’ve not left a number for you to call back, I would suggest contacting our Support Team, and they can make sure that this is escalated correctly for you, part of your complaint can be that it wasn’t escalated correctly when you first requested it. As Jeffus mentioned, you can also go to the energy Ombudsman if your complaint hasn’t been resolved within 8 weeks, but hopefully we can get it resolved before then. Our Support team’s web messaging and WhatsApp opening hours will be:

• 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday 
  • 9am - 2pm on Saturdays

You can see all open contact channels via our Help Centre

We don’t have access to accounts here, so we wouldn’t be able to check for any complaints on the account. I would recommend asking for a note of the complaint reference number as well when you speak with someone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is it possible to be gaslighted by a company? 

made a complaint yesterday and spoke to someone in the resolutions team. Received a call today whilst at work (which I couldn’t answer) and then an email asking me to call the resolutions team to discuss the resolution to my complaint. Spent another hour on the phone tonight to be told I haven’t made a complaint. Huh?! 

Hi again @KatyL

So did they finally log a formal complaint when you spoke last night?

Did they give you a complaint case number?

Not a lot else i can suggest, probably worth highlighting your experience on the OVO Trustpilot site

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Thanks both for getting back to me. 

I spent an hour and a half last night talking to someone in Resolutions who said that because there is an issue with my account, complaints can’t actually be logged against it. He helped me to raise an “off…something” complaint and linked it to my account so it will eventually be linked to my account. I now have a number for my complaint. My account seems to be having issues with the migration process and is still stuck which means I’m getting no bills, no updates on charges and nobody can help because they can’t get into my account. Smart meters are now working and sending readings but still no bill info. 

in the meantime I’ve received a further call asking if they’ve resolved my complaint because they want to close it 🤦🏻‍♀️

Userlevel 6

Hey @KatyL , I hope you’ve had a good weekend.

I’m glad you’ve got a complaint logged and a note of the complaint reference now. I know it must be really frustrating to have to wait for the account to be sorted, but you are more than entitled to keep the complaint open until you know that your billing etc, is working for you as it should be.

Have they given you any timeframe to expect the account to be ‘unstuck’ by?

Hi @Abby_OVO 

they’ve said it could take up to 30 working days

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Abby_OVO 

they’ve said it could take up to 30 working days

Hi @KatyL 

If it does not get resolved in 30 days to your satisfaction. 

I would ask the Ombudsman to get  involved 8 weeks after you first raised a complaint. 

It is not your issue that OVO didn't log your complaint properly in the first place. 

HI GUYS SEEKING SOME ADVICE….

I HAVE CONCERNS ABOUT MY COMPLAINTS RAISED WITH OVO CUSTOMER SERVICE , i have been complaing since last OCTOBER….I WANT TO request an internal review, I am not happy with the way my complaints have been handled and seek a resolution with the correct outcome.

MY COMPLAINT IN A NUT SHELL.

1.  OVO are...Grossly over estimating usage and creating  exaggerated readings to inflate my bills and increase my debt burden to a higher level than it should be, this is a misleading and deceptive practice 

2.OVO are SENDING ME- INFLATED Bills and Demands for payments based on INCORRECT METER READS 

3 OVO ARE PLACING NEGATIVE ENTRYS ON MY CREDIT FILE

Balance amounts placed on my Experian credit report by OVO energy are inaccurate and incorrect.

4.NOTICE OF DEFAULT SENT TO ME 

The debt figures used in these collection notices use figures based on Grossly over estimated  exaggerated readings 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @not happy

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you.

No one here can access your account or complaint information, including the OVO moderators. 

You can find the complaint process here

If you summited an official complaint back in October then after 8 weeks if you are not happy you can ask the  Energy Ombudsman to help

Obviously I don't know if an official complaint has ever formally been raised, you would have to confirm that with OVO.

If a formal complaint hasn't been raised then do that now as that will act as the  review you are asking for.

You talk about estimated usage, do you have a smart meter or do you enter readings manually every month? 

Userlevel 7

Hey @not happy,

Really sorry for the experience you’ve had,

@Jeffus has provided some helpful advice here,

Hi @not happy

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you.

No one here can access your account or complaint information, including the OVO moderators. 

You can find the complaint process here

If you summited an official complaint back in October then after 8 weeks if you are not happy you can ask the  Energy Ombudsman to help

Obviously I don't know if an official complaint has ever formally been raised, you would have to confirm that with OVO.

If a formal complaint hasn't been raised then do that now as that will act as the  review you are asking for.

You talk about estimated usage, do you have a smart meter or do you enter readings manually every month? 

If you’re not happy with the way your complaint has been handled you don’t need to accept the proposed resolution, in which case you can escalate to the Ombudsman if the Complaints Team are unable to provide an acceptable resolution for you. 

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

When will this shower of a company actually help someone thats still waiting for a response from several complaints including from the CAB and still nothing after over a year of complaining, think it’s time that this so called energy firm either step up to what your online policies are or could some other decent company that offers its customers a lot more help than ovo and they also listen unlike this company, 

just a idea, talk to the wall instead 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid this isn’t a valid Idea post. It’ll probably get moved out of the Ideas section.

Userlevel 7

Anything that we can help with on the forum, @Fedupcustoner? Have you got an escalated complaint with OVO, with a dedicated complaint handler you can contact? 

I have moved this into the My Account category. 

anybody here had any issue with this shower not recognising the Ombudsman and telling them one thing and tell me something different?

It has now got to the point that not even the Ombudsman can get them to answer calls 

Userlevel 7

Hey @JamesArmstrong,

This sounds very frustrating, I’m sorry to hear this. 

We have an Ombudsman team and the phone line is managed at all times with abandon rates at less than 10% on average. They are always in contact with the Ombudsman about cases, new and existing ones. The number is also available for customers with an Ombudsman complaint to contact them directly, usually given when they’re at the final decision stage, when the team issue a letter to the customer their number is on there for them. 

Did you go through the OVO complaint process before contacting the Ombudsman? Has the Ombudsman given a ‘remedy’ to the complaint yet or are they still investigating? 

The following information is taken from our Complaint Process which can be found on our website:

If they think we should have done more than we’ve offered, they’ll tell us what we are required to do.

This can include:

• An explanation
  • An apology
  • A specific action, including compensation

You don’t have to accept their decision, but we do.

Hope this helps. 

Hi 

yes I went through the OVO complaint process and got no where, could not even get a reply. 

So was left no choice but to go to the Ombudsman, decision reached email from OVO stating you would conform… then nothing, a month later I email your Ombudsman team and never had a reply… a month later I tried again… nothing - OVO threaten me with legal action so I call the ombudsman, now your dedicated team are not even replying to the Ombudsman, and have started chasing me for Electric, claiming you have been my supplier since Jan this year… complete and utter rubbish.. your dedicated team need a lot of training - your company needs a lot of training in customer service and professional conduct… 

Userlevel 7

Really sorry to hear this @JamesArmstrong,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out to you. Please keep an eye on your private messages.

Is there a time limit for complaints? I have today closed my account and paid the balance because I don’t want any possible negative impact on my credit score..

My complaint issue is still valid, and I am waiting for OVO to send me through an invoice from immediately after the migration from SSE so that I can try and reconcile my account. This will apparently take ten working days..!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m a forum volunteer. I don’t work for OVO.

If you switch away, most complaints are automatically closed and you lose your ability to make complaints (with the exception of matters related to GDPR, Erroneous Transfers, Final Bills and Final Refunds) - you have to go via your new supplier. It is strongly recommended to resolve ALL complaints before switching suppliers, otherwise you’ll risk either slowing down resolutions or terminating the entire complaint completely.

You can still do GDPR requests after leaving though, such as to request closure/deletion of your online account via GDPR Right to be Forgotten. That and Final Bill/Refund related matters are allowed. But otherwise, the old supplier loses all responsibility and liability once the account is closed and moved to the new supplier, so cannot do anything further with it.

Ultimately, once the account is closed, fully paid off and refunds issued (where appropriate), that’s the end of the relationship.

I think I'm heading for the record. 

Three years three months and counting. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Jeffreytspaulding 

I’m really sorry to hear about all of this, I’m quite surprised at the length of time it’s taking to resolve the complaint.

I know we always want to resolve complaints but the Ombudsman are at hand for times when a reasonable resolution cannot be met within 8 weeks of the complaint being raised. You can contact them when your complaint passes the 8 week mark so if they’re not already involved, it may be worth contacting them for some help with this.

What’s the current status of the complaint? Has it been escalated and with a complaint handler? We don’t have access to accounts at the Forum so we can’t offer specific advice to your account but we can try and help steer you in the right direction with some more information.

Hello Abby_OVO,

So far………

Emails 179.

Phone calls 77.

Time spent on phone 786mns.(13.1hrs.)

Morrisons Data visits 1.

Bailiffs Letters 3. 

Bailiffs visits 2.

Ovo Collections Officer visits 1.

Case Handlers 20. (names available.) 

Annual Satisfaction Surveys following wrongly closed complaint 2.