Solved

Recently signed up to a new fixed contract- Will my prices be affected by the Energy Price Guarantee?

• 12 September 2022
  • 83 replies

Show first post

83 replies

Userlevel 3

Have a look at the answer from Tim on this thread.

If you’re still in the 14 day cooling off period you shouldn’t get charged an exit fee if you cancel. If it’s been running longer than that it’s probably worth hanging on to see what the official OVO line is.

Started it back in June, so I’ll wait and see how this pans out

Userlevel 3

I get regular updates from the Martin Lewis forum so will wait a bit longer and see how things pan out with info from himself or OVO.

Also I need to check if my current fixed rate is cheaper than the current variable rate, which will help decide on how soon to take any action

Badge +1

government_energy_price_guarantee_prices._standard_variable_deemed_and_welcome._credit_meters.pdf (edfenergy.com)

It's an excellent table and answers lots of questions - why not publish an OVO version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Still waiting to see what will happen, I do like ovo generally but I can't see why we can't be told in advanced what the pricing per unit will be. Or credited back to, I've fixed on 62p/18p electric/gas.

The direct debt calculator is definitely not taking into accounts any discounts from government for me 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you’re paying via Direct Debit, the £400 EBSS rebate won’t be paid to your OVO account, it’ll actually go back to your bank account instead, so that’s why the calculator isn’t going to factor it in.

Feel free to pay it back into your OVO account though - if you do, the calculator will definitely include that with the number crunching!

Userlevel 7

Hey @stead,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

If you’re on the Simpler Variable Plan your prices will be going up in October, in line with the Energy Price Guarantee. So, if you’ve seen an increase in your recommended direct debit this will be why.

As @Blastoise186 has advised the £400 Energy Bills Support Scheme will be refunded to your bank, so this won’t be taken into account in direct debit reviews.

If you are going to be affected by the Energy Price Guarantee OVO will be in touch shortly, if we haven’t already. Please keep an eye on your emails. There is more advice in this similar thread:

Hope this helps. 

Just got a rather confusing (and scary) email letting me know that our fixed price plan is ending on 2-Oct-2022, even though it was expected to run till Sep-2024. It then says we hope you’re not going to leave. I think I understand what is happening. That because my expected yearly payment was above £3500, I’m automatically being transferred to the variable rate plan. And even if I try and take pre-emptive action and choose a plan, that’s the only one available.

I’m not complaining particularly about what is being done but I am complaining about the communication. The email reads as if I‘ve chosen to cancel my contract and leave OVO. When I haven’t done anything. It reads as if I have to do something when I don’t think I have to do anything. 

Userlevel 2

I understand that the government’s new £2500 Price Cap Guarantee for the price per unit of electricity for a customer on direct debit, will be something like:

- Unit rate: 34.04p per kWh

- Standing charge: 46.36p per day

That’s all well and good but what about customers like myself that have storage heaters and have Economy 7 dual tariff. I can’t find any information from OVO or any supplier what the Eco7 off-peak rates will be under the price cap guarantee.

Can anyone tell me what the Eco7 Off-peak rate price cap guarantee, price per unit rate will be?

Thanks in advance, Kevin (kwick1)

UPDATE: Thinking about it, I guess this also applies equally to the Eco7 peak rate as it will probably be different to the price cap gurantee for a single rate tariff that I’ve quoted above….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @kwick1 

Please take a look at the links on this thread, and consider upcoming:

Eco7 rates appear to be varying a lot between suppliers, regions and methods of payment (DD is not necessarily the cheapest option). Which is best will come down to what proportion of your usage is in the off-peak. 

Happy to give further pointers if you can give your usage and which region you are in.

Hi,

I got a 2 year fix and protect deal which started on the 22nd of July this year . I’ve just received an email from OVO telling me it’s ending next month.

Can anyone shed any light on this please.

THanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Glenbo 

This is just a guess at the moment. But I reckon as you've only recently taken the fixed tariff out, towards the end of July, its unit rates are probably high and would remain higher than the rates you would pay if you were on the variable tariff with the Energy Price Guarantee discount applied to the cap.

Therefore, for the next 2 years the variable tariff is the cheaper option and OVO have automatically put you on to this to stop you overpaying.

Thanks @nealmurphy, that makes perfect sense!. I just wish OVO would add some explanation in the emails they send.

Badge +1

EDF published all their rates about 10 days ago .  OVO and E.ON Next -zilch.

government_energy_price_guarantee_prices._standard_variable_deemed_and_welcome._credit_meters.pdf (edfenergy.com)

I think that while single rate tariffs are very similar from one supplier to another the Economy 7 unit prices can be substantially differe, apart from the standing charge which will be as per OFGEM october rate. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @jbond and thanks for this feedback. I’ve passed this on to the team and I can confirm that was an automated ‘end of contract’ communication that gets sent when a fixed tariff rolls on to the variable rate, Simpler. These were supposed to be blocked from sending but it seems some have been sent. The team are aware. 

Why were you moved to Simpler? You guessed it:

If your fixed prices are higher than the Energy Price Guarantee cap, OVO will reach out to you and advise about a move to the variable rate, Simpler. This will mean lower prices. 

Word on the street is that if your fixed rate is higher than the price guarantee rate, you will be able to move onto the guaranteed variable with no exit penalties.

Im on a fixed rate with OVO until 2023 but will re asses after Christmas, 2022 has already been stressful enough with OVO trying to increase my direct debit from £178 to £368.

I have notices how they aren’t stating prices per Kw and now annual prices which is there golden nugget.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Glenbo and thanks for flagging this. 

As Neal mentions, this was related to the change to Simpler, but it was not intentional that you got this communication. It was accidentally generated on the back of us changing you onto the ‘standard variable tariff’ (SVT) as it is cheaper for you. This all part of ensuring you don’t pay more for your energy than the Energy Price Guarantee. You will receive a communication from us shortly to explain why we have moved you to SVT, and to show the difference in cost between your Fixed Tariff and SVT. 

Sorry for any confusion caused by this,
Tim

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hey @stead,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

If you’re on the Simpler Variable Plan your prices will be going up in October, in line with the Energy Price Guarantee. So, if you’ve seen an increase in your recommended direct debit this will be why.

As @Blastoise186 has advised the £400 Energy Bills Support Scheme will be refunded to your bank, so this won’t be taken into account in direct debit reviews.

If you are going to be affected by the Energy Price Guarantee OVO will be in touch shortly, if we haven’t already. Please keep an eye on your emails. There is more advice in this similar thread:

Hope this helps. 

Hi, Thanks for the reply but I'm on the Drive plan, today the cap comes into place and I'm still none the wiser on how this government scheme is being done, I’m assuming we shall get credit like the anytime addon works so my direct debit won’t actually go down but I'll have a massive surplus, I’ve already got a 4 digit figure in credit on my plan as apparently I'll be in debt if I lower it, which I completely understand the logic behind. But it is going to cause some trouble for me if its not balanced out over the next few months.

I’m sure you probably don’t have the information yourself but I’d just l like to have a bit more reassurance that I'll be able to lower the direct debit amount and a bit of clarity on how this scheme is going to be implemented, if its credit based to the account it just means myself and others will be having to apply for refunds every few months, if the DD takes into account the government scheme I'm happy knowing in a couple of months it should balance out to something a bit more realistic, I don’t mind applying for refunds as long as it doesn’t go against me as a customer, I'm sure applying for a refund of a £1,000 every 3/4 months will bring up some kind of review or count as some kind of abuse trying to get % on my balance

Hi community members, wondering if anyone can help…… I’m on the Better Energy - Economy 7 fixed plan (see below) till June 2023. The day time unit rate is above that being quoted under the new price cap. Does anyone know if/how/when OVO will reduce this? Grateful for any advice. 

Day time unit rate
Night time unit rate
34.83p/kWh
25.07p/kWh
Contract start date
9 June 2022
Contract end date
8 June 2023
Early exit fee
£30.00
Standing charge
52.12p/day

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s worth noting that there’s still different price caps for different parts of the UK and Economy 7 has it’s own set yet again. Chances are you are below your price caps! And if you’re not, your bills will be automatically adjusted by OVO’s system for the period that the price guarantee is running for.

Badge +1

Check out the EDF rates here, it might help you answer your own question:

My energy price per kw hasn’t lowered to the government guaranteed price just wondering why ,I am on a 2 year fix from july this year

Userlevel 4

Join the club 

aye there phones will be on fire to-morrow lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO will be in touch soon with an update. You do NOT need to get in touch as your account will be adjusted automatically.