Solved

Overcharging for storage heaters- Charge peak rates, at off peak times

Show first post

52 replies

Userlevel 1

Just wondering @dmacbrew if you might be able to see what type of IHD you have? 
They're usually marked somewhere .. or if you can post a photo, it might be identifiable 

They're usually marked somewhere .. or if you can post a photo, it might be identifiable 

It is marked as IHD7 - this any good?

Userlevel 1

I think the question that hasn't been asked is, do you know and can you prove that you're being charged the higher rate for the period from 7am to 7:06am? Your IHD isn't a reliable measure of your charges. I know this because I'm on a variable tariff and the charges on my IHD don't match what I actually pay.

As @Blastoise186 and @Tim_OVO have pointed out, if you have a 5 terminal meter that is controlling the heaters your rate will change at the same time as the timer. Unless you can show that this isn't happening (again, your IHD isn't sufficient evidence) there's not much anyone can do.

IHD readings  must be accurate as they tally exactly with the figures on the monthly bill

Userlevel 1

I think the question that hasn't been asked is, do you know and can you prove that you're being charged the higher rate for the period from 7am to 7:06am? Your IHD isn't a reliable measure of your charges. I know this because I'm on a variable tariff and the charges on my IHD don't match what I actually pay.

As @Blastoise186 and @Tim_OVO have pointed out, if you have a 5 terminal meter that is controlling the heaters your rate will change at the same time as the timer. Unless you can show that this isn't happening (again, your IHD isn't sufficient evidence) there's not much anyone can do.

Your system is obviously different to mine as my IHD readings tally EXACTLY with the monthly charges.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It is marked as IHD7 - this any good?

Yes, thank you. It looks like a Chameleon version then with a white back. Like this? 

I don’t know which part you look at but presumably you see the heater power still on up to 7:06 (it would be 8:06 this morning with the clock change).

If you get chance to take a look at your actual meter at some point, it might help if you can see if it has 5 terminal /cables going into it - usually at the base. Thanks

Userlevel 1

BP LIghtlog

My display is the same except that there is is only one bar whatever the time of day (how do you get two different rates at the same time?). I`ll try and get a photo tomorrow.

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You only get two different rates at once when there’s both a gas and electric meter on the same network as the IHD. It looks like you’re electric only, so you’ll only get electric data

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks for these @dmacbrew . I’m guessing they show the progression from off-peak to peak and then storage heaters off later. 
If you do get chance sometime to check the terminals of the meter itself, that will also help. 

Userlevel 1

I put one heater on @ 3.30. Averaged 72p p.h until 8.00 when it jumped to £1.20 as day-time rates kicked in. Continued as such until the current was cut off @ 8.06

Userlevel 1

You` have all gone very quiet. What it seems (I hope) is happening here is that the IHD shows the rate changing at 7.00 but in fact it is not. So a design/programming fault in the IHD and I am not being overcharged and everything is fine. Can somebody definitively confirm this? If somebody had mentioned this fault at the start it would have saved a lot of time or is no-one aware of it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We’ve been a bit busy recently and as most of us a volunteers, we can’t operate the forum with a thousand call centre agents waiting to take your call 24/7/365. There’s only about 10-15 of us total (including the moderators) and we all have other things we do as well.

As far as we can tell so far, this seems to be just a quirk with IHDs. I can’t find evidence otherwise

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You` have all gone very quiet. What it seems (I hope) is happening here is that the IHD shows the rate changing at 7.00 but in fact it is not. So a design/programming fault in the IHD and I am not being overcharged and everything is fine. Can somebody definitively confirm this? If somebody had mentioned this fault at the start it would have saved a lot of time or is no-one aware of it?

Just trying to double check so as not to give any false info. Theoretically, the off peak circuit can only be on when the meter itself (not the IHD) switches) but we’ve not actually seen your situation before. That’s often why the meter itself is important as it can show more than the IHD like when which register (for peak or off peak) is incrementing. I do think the IHD is timed separately but would like to check 

Can you not just switch your heaters off at the main switch at 7am or just before that to avoid any possible charges at peak rate i.e. after 7am

Is it really this simple or am I missing something!?

I have a reply to my question/comment, but don’t know how to access it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have a reply to my question/comment, but don’t know how to access it!

Is it a private message? If so try here 

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Morning @dmacbrew . Just thought you’d like to know that Chameleon who make the IHD7 have said that the IHD can not be relied on to show when the tariff changes. It therefore suggests that your meter, supplying the off peak circuit will still be using the other register up to the point of the switch and therefore you should not be overcharged for those extra minutes. 
Not helpful how it’s shown on the IHD, I agree but they also say that it’s meant to be a guide and not relied on for accurate costs. 
Hope that helps

Userlevel 1

Morning @dmacbrew . Just thought you’d like to know that Chameleon who make the IHD7 have said that the IHD can not be relied on to show when the tariff changes. It therefore suggests that your meter, supplying the off peak circuit will still be using the other register up to the point of the switch and therefore you should not be overcharged for those extra minutes. 
Not helpful how it’s shown on the IHD, I agree but they also say that it’s meant to be a guide and not relied on for accurate costs. 
Hope that helps

Thanks BP I` had come to that conclusion but it`s good to have it confirmed. I know most people probably never check when their heaters go off (I didnt until prices went up) but if they hand out these devices they shouldn`t be surprised if people actually make use of them and they should have ready answers to such important questions.

I did manage to check the meter as you requested, and took a photo (not very good as balanced on a box holding camera with one hand!). It does have

five terminals.

Thanks again for your help.

Userlevel 1

Can you not just switch your heaters off at the main switch at 7am or just before that to avoid any possible charges at peak rate i.e. after 7am

Is it really this simple or am I missing something!?

It is that simple but the point is - at 75 y.o. should I really have to get up and troop downstairs at this time all through the winter? I don`t think so.

Sincere apologies and understand your situation.

Not everyone lives in a flat like me.

I believe I’m being charged at peak rate for my storage heating. My off peak charges for summer and winter are approximately the same. My peak rate charge has increased 7 fold from summer to winter ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Bobstock , it’s possible. 
Have you noticed the difference on your bills? You should see meter readings for both and the charge per kWh which should be the same as on your plan. 
What meter do you have? We’ve seen some swap rates over due to an update on their meter. 

Hi, I’ve not got the latest bill with me. I’m try to help a friend, who a neighbour of my mother. I think the Charges for each are correct, but I don’t understand why peak hour charges are higher, when off peak charges should be higher in the winter. My mother and friend are in same block of flats with the same supplier, yet mother’s bill is less than half of the friends .