Tutorial

Identifying Smart Meter Issues on your online account or OVO app

Identifying Smart Meter Issues on your online account or OVO app

Show first post

119 replies

@Firedog Support says they received daily meter readings

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I realise that some might be cautious but you can sign up to services like Hugo Energy with a credit card rather than the IHD detail. 
I did and have not had any problems - Hugo are an authorised third party data provider. 

It might be useful as a comparison to the OVO data

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just another thought @IzzyB , there are several reading registers on the L&G meters. Do any of the others (Rate 02, Import Rea, etc) match the ‘smart’ readings more closely. If your smart meter is registered correctly then the readings you are noting compared to those recorded are very odd. 
You mention the meter update and a confusion about the property address. Although it shouldn’t happen, it may well be a problem with the link between the property and the meter serial number 

Userlevel 7

Hey @IzzyB,

The plot thickens!

I think the address mix up you discussed between OVO and Octopus might be key to the issue here. 

It could be that OVO has taken over the wrong supply, and that your supply address on the national database is very similar to the one on the national database. Does the serial number on the actual meter itself, match the one listed on your statements? 

@BPLightlog none of the other readings on the meter match the smart meter readings.

@Emmanuelle_OVO Yeah the meter serial number is the same on my bills, so that matches up. 

Support tells me they can’t do anything until the engineer comes because there’s a fault, so let’s hope the engineer turns up this time (next Friday). If he does show up I’ll try ask him if there’s anyway to check that this is actually my correct meter and registered to my address.

Thanks

There was a power cut in my property on Friday and power was out for about 40 mins. Since then my IHD has stopped working (I have contacted ovo about that) and no smart data/metre readings has been recorded on the app (and nothing is visible on Hugo). Does anyone know if it will automatically start working on the app again and how long that may take?

Anyone had a similar experience?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Michael1696 , if there are no readings getting through to Hugo, the supplier or anyone else, it may be that the smart meter is faulty. 
It may be able to be reset but perhaps go through a smart meter check.

My account balance is not updating but my usage is showing, so my smart meter must be working ??

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not sure exactly what you mean @Timhawes .

If you’re looking at your usage charts, there may be estimated readings rather than actual. 
You can check by looking at your meter readings page. 
You can also see what this checker tells you 

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Have done that readings are throughout the day and corresponding to my usage. It's just the account balance that's not updating 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have done that readings are throughout the day and corresponding to my usage. It's just the account balance that's not updating 

You probably need to get in touch with customer support then - it sounds like an account specific thing

Userlevel 7

Hey @Timhawes,

You probably need to get in touch with customer support then - it sounds like an account specific thing

I fear BPLightlog is right here, we use live billing, this means that the balance shown on your online account is always an accurate reflection taking into account

• The cost of your energy usage, as calculated and billed with each time your smart meter sends us a reading or you submit a reading manually.
  • Daily standing charges.
  • Payments and refunds.

Have contacted team and they see the problem as  the balance has not updated for 7 days. They are reporting to get it looked into. Thanks for your replies 

Userlevel 7

If you’re able to pop back with any feedback once they find out the issues that might be really useful for other community members in a similar position 🙂

Will do, they have not adjusted or contacted me yet 

Still not put right. They say that they have raised a complaint with reference 23418765 and 23369494. This has been going on since 5th March they agree that they are getting the meter readings but the account balance remains the same at 431.18 in credit since 5th march. I'm  baffled 🤔

Userlevel 3

Hi @Timhawes,

I'm sorry to hear this.

It’s possible that there is a technical issue preventing your balance from updating. It would seem that you already have open cases that are on-going currently. As soon as they are resolved, as we already have readings, your balance would automatically be updated. I do apologise about your wait with this one. I’m afraid we’re unable to provide a guaranteed timeframe for tech cases as it seems like an account specific issue.

Thank you, but I'm not holding my breath as its taken so long. And would like to know where my next d/d will go ?

Userlevel 7
Badge

@BPLightlog none of the other readings on the meter match the smart meter readings.

@Emmanuelle_OVO Yeah the meter serial number is the same on my bills, so that matches up. 

Support tells me they can’t do anything until the engineer comes because there’s a fault, so let’s hope the engineer turns up this time (next Friday). If he does show up I’ll try ask him if there’s anyway to check that this is actually my correct meter and registered to my address.

@IzzyB Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I just trawled through this whole thread looking for something else and realized that your involvement just stopped at the most interesting point - where an engineer visit was imminent. You’re not the only one to have ended up in a bizarre situation like yours, so any explanation for what went wrong might be useful to others.