Solved

I feel like my Direct Debit Check In is totally unfair, why has it increased?

Show first post

160 replies

perhaps you should let the people on the phones know this, when I tried he denied that was a possibility

Userlevel 7

Hey @Nige12rose,

because I used a lot of power in January for some reason, OVO demanded I increase my DD from 60 to 83, even though I was massively in credit. After a lot of shouting and screaming down the phone, I grudgingly accepted an increase to £66.

Three months later, with (slightly) warmer weather and more daylight, they’re telling me I could reduce my DD to £55. Funnily enough, they don’t insist on this when the amendment is to reduce, they just advise.

Aren’t their computer models wonderful??

When you received the Energy Bills Support Scheme payments did you add this bank into your energy account? It sounds like your higher usage in winter may have altered your estimated annual consumption:

Every time you submit a meter reading your estimated annual consumption will adjust, which would explain the lower direct debit calculation now. Glad to hear it’s adjusted to a more acceptable amount. 

If a customer is unhappy about their direct debit and aren’t in arrears, we can put the direct debit review on a three month suspension, I’m sorry you were informed otherwise. 

Hope this clarifies. 

Curious, since this seems to be an ongoing issue for yeaarrrsss now has anyone switched from OVo to a different provider?? Would anyone please recommend a better alternative to Ovo? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

i have been onto ovo again and they say it will be sorted out in a few days will keep you posted

@taxijim33 did it get sorted in a few days? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Curious, since this seems to be an ongoing issue for yeaarrrsss now has anyone switched from OVo to a different provider?? Would anyone please recommend a better alternative to Ovo? Thanks

Octopus Energy get pretty good reviews and a few posters have suggested them. OVO get pretty good reviews in general compared to the other large suppliers. 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/octopus.energy

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/energy-companies/article/best-and-worst-energy-companies/energy-companies-which-recommended-providers-adf5i8r3xh3v

Very much depends on what you want from an energy supplier, for example types of tariff, types of billing etc. 

it costs £60 per utility to leave ovo

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That depends on the particular tariff. Many now on Standard variable have no exit fee

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

For anyone else reading this - there’s no exit fee if you’re on the Simpler Energy rolling variable plan. You can check at https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan 

The most recent Fixed plan does include an Exit fee of £60 for each utility.

Just bought a new house and set up a DD. I keep being asked by OVO  to increase my DD based on past usage. As I have never lived there and will not be moving in until building works are completed it makes no sense to increase my DD.  The estimate is completely based on someone else’s usage which was very high.

Do I just ignore the request?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @shaaronmorgan and welcome to this customer forum. Your property normally has an ‘expected’ energy profile based on the type and age. It will take a while to build a history of course and I did need to talk to Customer Support in the first few months as they wanted to increase my dd. You can call and ask for a fix on your dd for a few months which might help to establish usage. Once I’d got through the first 4-5 months mine has been fine but don’t ignore it otherwise they will automatically increase the dd if you don’t get in touch