Solved

How can I apply for the Warm Home Discount?

Show first post

112 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I receive PIP (personal independence payment) and contribution based ESA. Would i qualify for the warm home discount? One of the PIP payments us at the higher level. 

Hopefully the tool @Blastoise186 has linked to will help. I know the PIP doesn't help, both my brothers now get the full PIP for very different reasons but don't get the current warm home discount. 

Many thanks Blastoise186 and Jeffus. I've followed the link that Blastoise186 sent me and nope i don't qualify anymore even though I'm on PIP, plus I'm on the wrong ESA, typical! Thanks so much tho for the advice and the link! Very much appreciated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Many thanks Blastoise186 and Jeffus. I've followed the link that Blastoise186 sent me and nope i don't qualify anymore even though I'm on PIP, plus I'm on the wrong ESA, typical! Thanks so much tho for the advice and the link! Very much appreciated. 

PIP use to be sufficient but the rules changed in this period. Now the warm home discount is very much means tested in terms of income. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/cost-of-living/dwp-excluded-warm-homes-discount-24703316

So frustrating now it's changed. I used to get it before with PIP and had heard that it might have changed. Thanks to both of you for the info. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So frustrating now it's changed. I used to get it before with PIP and had heard that it might have changed. Thanks to both of you for the info. 

Be careful with your budgeting as the Energy Price Guarantee goes up circa  20% on 1st April and the £66/£67 a month everyone has been getting automatically also stops at the same time. 

Hopefully energy costs will start to drop from 1st July, perhaps sooner if some suppliers feel they can reintroduce fixed deals again or can offer rates below the Energy Price Guarantee

Oh hell, thanks for the warning! My house is so cold already and i feel the cold terribly and especially with not being that mobile. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah I hate it as well. I’m on ESA/PIP myself and I don’t qualify because my flat is too small and too efficient. If it had been four times the size though… Then I would have qualified

Userlevel 7

Hey @LSdevon,

Really sorry to hear you haven’t qualified this year.

We do have some other support available for customers who may be struggling with their bills:

Customer support package and where to apply. 

Warm Home Discount

What to do if I can’t afford my energy bills? 

Energy Bills Support Scheme

If you haven’t already I’d advise getting added to our Priority Services Register.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It might also be worth enquiring locally. 

The government has given local authorities money to give out at their own discretion.

It varies widely how this is done. 

In my mums case she was given some vouchers at a local community centre coffee morning by a council official with no means tested questions. 

It may be very different in your area of course. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@LSdevon

Are you on one of the social tariff for your broadband? Your PIP will give you access to some of the providers social tariff. For example Vodafone. 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/essentials-broadband

The eligibility criteria varies by provider, not all do a social tariff for a PIP. Some suppliers social tariff are only available for those on means tested benefits (e.g. Virgin) 

This may save you a bit depending on your current deal.

Do you have a Water Meter? My mum just got one installed and has saved £200 a year.... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Entering Digital Champion Mode

You might also benefit from the National Databank and other services run by the Good Things Foundation. There’s more info at https://www.goodthingsfoundation.org/ about all of those.

I’m saying this as a Digital Champion volunteer because it might benefit you.

I realise that this subject is a month old, but for those migrated from SSE please do check your October statement my WHD appears on there. 

So I actually received it before the move.

Hope that helps