Solved

How can I apply for the Warm Home Discount?

Show first post

112 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Not sure about council landlords but certainly private landlords need an EPC done as there’s now a requirement that the property has to be rated E at least. Also if a house is put on the market for selling it needs an EPC. 

Userlevel 1

All council properties have to have an EPC, so I’ve been told today.

Userlevel 2

When is OVO paying the warm home discount

Userlevel 4

You definitely sure you qualify for it, on all the criteria? My mum got hers at the end of November.

Userlevel 7
Badge

This was the email I received from OVO on 8 November:

Great news. You're getting the Warm Home Discount.
This is a government-run scheme that gives a one-off payment of ÂŁ150 to help keep your home warm over winter.
The Department for Work and Pensions put you forward for the Discount, as you meet the necessary criteria.
Want to know more? Read about the Warm Home Discount.
Your ÂŁ150 is on its way
We'll credit your energy account with ÂŁ150 by the 20/12/2022.

We hope you have a warm and happy winter.

I haven’t seen it yet, so the best bet is sometime before Christmas. If it hasn’t arrived by 31 March, contact the DWP. 

Userlevel 1

Just an update regarding the need for an EPC and the WHD.  If your home does not have an Energy Performance Certificate or has one and the rating is between A and C you will not get the WHD despite whatever benefits you are claiming.

My local council who is also my landlord have, as usual been dragging the feet, i.e., they have not been returning my calls for requesting why my property has not got one, and what they intend to do to get one.

So, in my case it looks like I’ll be putting on extra layers of clothes this winter

Userlevel 7

Hi @markymate, I hope you get the right outcome with regards to your warm home discount eligibility. The Citizens Advice may be able to offer advice?

In the meantime please consider the available support listed here.

Userlevel 1

This was the email I received from OVO on 8 November:

This is a government-run scheme that gives a one-off payment of ÂŁ150 to help keep your home warm over winter.
The Department for Work and Pensions put you forward for the Discount, as you meet the necessary criteria.
Your ÂŁ150 is on its way

We hope you have a warm and happy winter.

I haven’t seen it yet, so the best bet is sometime before Christmas. If it hasn’t arrived by 31 March, contact the DWP. 

Oh thank you ive only had my heating on once so now I can afford to put it on abit more so grateful for the help many thanks guys wish you all a merry xmas x

I live in Scotland, I am in receipt of working tax credit and Personal Independence Payment. There is no mention of working tax credit on your broader group info sheet (only child tax credit), yet the Scottish government includes WTC in their criteria - please can you tell me if I can apply for warm home discount?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @loobylu ,

The best way for you to find out is to use the form at https://api.warm-home-discount.ovotech.org.uk/form

If you do qualify, you’ll be able to apply immediately via that same form.

Userlevel 7
Badge

I haven’t seen it yet, ... 

Now I have: £150 dropped into my account earlier this week. 

Note that, unlike the Energy Bills Support Scheme payments (£67 this month), the Warm Home Discount stays in the OVO account, increasing the current balance. It isn’t refunded to the bank account.

I received a letter from OVO advising I would be getting the £150 warm home discount. I've lost the letter so when and how will I know it has been added to my account 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Disco21 it will be shown on your charges section of your bill (as a discount) although it might be in any month up to March I believe 

Userlevel 7
Badge

The email I got from OVO said this:

Your ÂŁ150 is on its way

This is what I see on the Billing page for the current period:

If you don’t see it there, I’m sure it will come soon, but probably not until in the New Year at this stage. 

Thanks I have not seen that yet so fingers crossed it will be on my next bill 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Disco21,

@Firedog has already given a really helpful response here.

Just wanted to add- You’ll get your payment by 31st of March at the latest. 

Userlevel 1

How *Edited by Mod* frustrating. I posted before about not being eligible for the HWD because I didn’t have an EPC.  I was told by the HWD helpline that I needed one and it had to rate D or lower.  Well, I got the council to get one done, and got a D rating.  Happy days I thought, just phoned the helpline again and I’m still not eligible because the rating has changed to F or G. Well, I went ballistic, to get an F or G your property virtually has to have no windows or roof!!!

So basically around 3 to 4 million people on benefits are no longer able to get the HWD because they have double glazing or wall cavity insulation.  Even Dick Turpin never robbed so openly.

Rant over, just so bloody pee’d off. Another day wrapped in my blanket!

Userlevel 7

Hey @markymate,

That’s such a shame,

The idea was that the Government’s Warm Home Discount (WHD) was meant to reach more people in need this year.

*Taken from the best answer*

• WHD spending is increasing from ÂŁ350 million to ÂŁ475 million across all suppliers 

• 780,000 more households will receive the rebate

• 560,000 more fuel poor households will get help 

• The Warm Home discount rebate is increasing from ÂŁ140 to ÂŁ150

• 59% of recipients under the new scheme will be fuel poor compared to around 47% of recipients for the current scheme

But clearly some of the rules have changed, have you had the WHD successfully every year prior?

Support available for customers who may be struggling with their bills:

Customer support package and where to apply. 

What to do if I can’t afford my energy bills? 

Energy Bills Support Scheme

Userlevel 1

@Emmanuelle_OVO   Sadly, for me and probably many others, that just isn’t the case.  The criteria for eligibility goes quite a bit deeper.  It comes down to how energy efficient your home is and the size of you floor area, yes, that’s correct, your floor area.  I’ve attached a cut out from their WHD eligibility statement of the 4th of November 2022.  I’ve left a link to the whole statement which turns into gobbled gook towards the end for an average bloke like me.

Warm Home Discount: eligibility statement (England and Wales) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I have qualified for the WHD since it first came in and it has been an absolute lift line for me, but it seems , despite being disabled and on a low income, I have now lost this vital help because my bungalow only has a floor area of 39m².  And that means with their calculation I don’t need to spend much to keep myself warm and fed with a hot meal now and then!!

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Mark

Userlevel 7

Hey @markymate,

Thanks for sharing that information, it’s really helpful for other Community Members who might be in a similar position.

Really sorry that you didn’t get it, have you applied for the Customer Support Package and the Priority Services Register? There may be some free services or products you’re entitled to.

No problem! Come back to the Forum anytime and we’re happy to help 🙂

Userlevel 1

Nothing doing with either schemes, sadly. Fortunately my wife managed to pick up a couple decent blankets from a local charity shop which will help us keep a little warmer, I hope.

Kind regards

Mark

When is the warm home discount scheme open this year 

As people are struggling right now and they could do with a!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge

OVO is one of the suppliers participating in this scheme, which provides a £150 discount on your energy bill this winter if you are eligible. However, the eligibility criteria have changed from last winter, and it also depends on where you live whether you have to apply for the discount or whether it’s paid automatically. 

You’ll find the official guide to the scheme here: Warm Home Discount Scheme: Overview - GOV.UK. The guide includes a tool to check whether you’re eligible if you’re not in receipt of the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit. 

The discount is paid before the end of March, and you have until the end of February to make a fuss if you haven’t had news of it but think you ought to have. Details are all in the guide.

I receive PIP (personal independence payment) and contribution based ESA. Would i qualify for the warm home discount? One of the PIP payments us at the higher level. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @LSdevon !

Oooohhhhh… Tricky one. Your wish is my command however. I grant thee three wishes with https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discount