Solved

High electricity usage- What could it be?

• 25 February 2023
  • 50 replies

My apartment is on electricity only! why my electricity  heating using 10KW to run in 50 minutes! It cost me 4£ to run for only 50 minutes! 

icon

Best answer by M.isterW 25 February 2023, 20:32

View original

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Are you seeing that on your In Home Display ? Can you post a photo please. What hot water and space heating appliances do you have ?

this one showing only when heating is running and all other appliances are switched off

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can you say what your heating is please ? 

electric

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Heat pump ? Storage heaters ? Infrared ? 

storage 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So are you on an Economy 7 type tariff ? If so the idea is to charge them up during the cheap hours (usually a 7 hour block at night) then they emit the stored heat during the day. Your display shows a time of 13:12 which suggests they are using electricity at the peak rate. I think they do have a setting for giving a boost of heat but that’s going to be expensive to run. Can you post a photo of one of your heaters? How many do you have? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Storage Heaters are really expensive to run during the day. You might want to make sure it is only running during Off-Peak hours. Don’t run them at 1PM in the afternoon or your electric bills will absolutely rocket!

i do have this in each room (2bedroms shower living room

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s a very strange storage heater...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m pretty sure that’s not a storage heater. Is there anything else in the house that could be using a lot of electricity perhaps?

yeah they are not storage heaters😀

and there nothing else 

only heating is using a lot of electrisity

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try touching that particular heater. Is it hot or cold right now?

cold

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Then it’s not a storage heater. Something else is chomping on your electricity supply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you change your display to show kW? If your tariff information is held correctly it should show about 13kW when your heating is on (or whatever it is that's using so much electricity).

If it is 13kW that's a lot of heating power. Your picture shows a radiator with water pipes running to it but you said it's cold. What do you have in the property that's hot? Any other heaters? Do you have a hot water tank? Is there a boiler in a cupboard somewhere?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What are your bills like @sinca123 ? My car charger doesn’t even use that kind of power!

@Blastoise186 what does that red exclamation mark symbol mean on the ihd?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There's something in the house (probably some sort of boiler or heaters) that's using the electricity. We're just waiting for @sinca123 to answer the other questions about what heating they have.

there is no any other heaters just radiators each room, water is running on electricity , when im switching on the heating its showing me 9,5 KW of usage when im switching on the water then its even more around 13KW in an hour 

meybe there can be some issues with boiler or smart meter? i really dont know , heating is running maximum 3 /4hour a day and im paying more than 500£ each month

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Updated on 31/10/23 by Abby_OVO

You have something that's heating the water that feeds the radiators, likely an electric boiler. You probably have a hot water cylinder heated by an immersion heater.

To reduce the cost of your hot water you can find a tariff that offers cheaper electricity at certain times (normally overnight) and use a timer on your immersion heater.

Reducing the cost of your heating is harder because it doesn't look like you have any way of storing the heat. If you can find your boiler and tell us what it is we might be able to suggest some options.

yeah i got electric boiler but thats strange as all other neighbours who lives next doors and got same electric heating are paying twice less than i do