Solved

Can OVO help replace my U16 gas meter?

• 6 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

A gas safety engineer has visited recently and advised the below problems. We have contacted our current energy supplier but they don’t use U16 gas meter so won’t be able to change it.

Will OVO able to help to fix the below with a cost?

1. FOUND U16 GAS METER STARTING TO RUST DUE TO WEATHERING, AT RISK ADVISED
  2. GAS PIPE IS UNDERSIZED BUT NOT AFFECTING COMBUSTION, AT RISK ADVISED
  3. FOUND GAS PIPE NOT SLEEVED OR SEALED, ALSO GAS PIPE IN VOID SPACES AND NOT VENTED, AT RISK ADVISED
icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 7 January 2022, 11:54

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @yukiwan !

Oooh, nasty. That’s not good! OVO can definitely take a look at doing an upgrade, but there’s a slight snag. I also believe in transparency, so I hope you’ll understand.

OVO is able to do a U6 → U16 upgrade which might be free, or might be £106 per this guide.

However, OVO can’t do this unless you’re on-supply with OVO, so you’d need to switch supplier as only the current supplier is able to get the permissions needed to carry out meter work like this. I recommend thinking about it carefully, as OVO doesn’t offer gas-only services so you’d have to go Dual-Fuel with OVO in order to switch the gas over.

With that being said, if you’re already on a U16 then this is a little bit easier. I think it’s free to replace a U16 with another U16, but again, only the current supplier can do it.

Could you post some photos please? It really helps us out a lot!

Userlevel 7

Updated on 28/07/23 by Abby_OVO

Hello and Welcome to the OVO online community, @yukiwan!

Sounds like a gas safe engineer has identified a few potentially concerning issues with both your U16 gas meter and the surrounding pipework. In case you hadn’t spotted it we’ve got a great guide here which outlines who’s responsible for each part of your set-up. As our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has mentioned whilst your current supplier is responsible for maintaining or replacing your meter, the pipe work surrounding the meter may need to be repaired by either contacting your local gas transporter or a gas-safe engineer depending on which part of the set-up this pipework is located.

As for whether OVO could offer to exchange a faulty U16 gas meter, if you were to switch to us as a dual-fuel member we’d of course carry out any essential meter maintenance work and do offer a U16 meter. However it’s worth noting that all meters should have a certification date by which they’d need to be replaced. If a meter is properly protected in a meter box it’s unusual for the meter to be weathered and in need of replacement before this date so we’d advise checking that the meter box is secure and weather-proof and checking with your current supplier that your meter certification hasn’t expired.

It might also be worth checking out the advice given in this thread - whilst we don’t currently offer a U16 smart meter, you may find that your gas consumption no longer requires this higher capacity meter, in which case you could investigate the possibility of down-grading your supply to a standard U6 gas meter to allow you to benefit from a smart meter which would send your usage information automatically.

Hope this has given you plenty to consider - Do pop back and let us know what you decide is the best option for you to get things sorted. 

Thank you for the advice!!! It helps a lot. Finally they have changed a new meter for me. Thanks again!