Solved

Is the OVO website really going to be down for the rest of 2023?

Show first post

173 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you don’t have smart meters for automatic updating, you can send meter readings by web chat when it’s open
https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

How to submit monthly meter reading as website and app are down and won’t allow me 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Savi_DY ,

You should be able to phone them through for now. 0330 303 5063 or Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com .

Userlevel 7

Hey @Savi_DY,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

Hi @Savi_DY ,

You should be able to phone them through for now. 0330 303 5063 or Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com .

Community Member @Blastoise186 has given some great advice here. It sounds like you’re on our old billing system, to make sure can you upload a screenshot of the error you’re seeing? OVO have closed this down and are in the process of moving these remaining customers onto our new billing system as soon as possible.

You won’t need to do anything to get your account migrated. We’ll contact you with any next steps once the new website is ready. Online account use won’t be available for the foreseeable future but you can contact our Support Team in the meantime to submit readings and you will receive email attachments with pdfs attached for your bills.

You can top up via bank transfer, cheque or by calling 0330 303 5063, you’ll continue to get monthly statements, OVO will contact you if your direct debit needs increasing. For anything else please contact our Support Team

Hope this helps. 

Goodness me I’m stressed!  I’ve always submitted my readings online.  Now I can’t.  The app doesn’t work, the message is the app is now obsolete and the website says it doesn’t work, that a new one will be available at the end of 2023.  Live chat is not available.  I tried calling and got nowhere.  I don’t know what to do.  I’ve sent my readings via email to hello@Ovo but received a standard response saying use app or website.  BUT I CAN’T.  What on Earth is going on here? 

Userlevel 2

Opened this thread as it was marked as ‘solved’ 

yeah, right 🙄

I am also stuck in the no access, alleged 2% club , totally bonkers that anything can take so long and an extra smack in the face that it affects OVO’s older and more loyal customers 

at a time of energy crisis and close to unmanageable household finances this lack of account access is totally unreasonable

i am guessing someone must have asked for ombudsman intervention, they surely can not be siding with OVO on this 

please do not tell me it may not take the rest of 2023 to fix, but if you can find an actual estimate for completion I and many others would be grateful 

I have tried to log in every few days for a couple of months now, I am not getting emailed statements, which would be the absolute minimum I would have expected 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The best option for now is Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com .

The legacy billing system has been closed while your account gets migrated to the new one. Once that’s done, the app will work again for you and you’ll get website access back.

It might be ready sooner than expected too.

Userlevel 6

Hi @DavidG58 

Sorry to hear you’re in the same situation as some of the other users on this thread.

The team have no further timeframes for this at the moment, and I’m sure if they know more they will let us all know. We’ll update the best answer when we have any more information to update the thread with.

Regarding not getting your email statements, we can’t say for certain the reason for this as we don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum, so it will be best to contact the Support Team to discuss the bills and make sure the email address is set up correctly for email billing, as that could be the reason for this. 

Userlevel 2

have you tried the Loop app at least you get an idea daily of usage much more easy to use than the OVO website which hasn't given data for 3 days at present.   

It’s a complete joke. To submit monthly meter readings I have to call the only available number, speak to someone who takes all my details then transfers me to the Apollo team, who then ask for all my details then put me on hold.  What used to be a simple input on the website now takes 15mins on the phone.  I asked if there was a direct line to the Apollo team and was told “No we only have one phone number”. 
I don’t know what’s happened to OVO - I’ve been with them for many years because their customer service was outstanding. Now, I’m going to be switching provider as soon as I’m able to.

I can’t have a smart meter  for my gas as the meter is’too far away from the electric meter’

so I have to submit monthly gas meter readings.  How can one do this when their website doesn’t allow you to do it., phonong ar chatting takes hours to get through …?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @brikath , on their help pages they show several ways to submit a meter reading .. have a look

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/how-to-submit-your-gas-and-electricity-readings

Tried that but all routes are blocked until their new website is up and running ‘by end 2023’!

I’ve tried to log into my online account for the first time in 2 months to check my energy usage,

I’m greeted with a message saying my account is being migrated and it won’t be available until the end of 2023

This has surely got to be an error. What on earth is going on?

I do see that I was emailed my most recent bill and it says I need to phone to get my previous bills. Once I find time for this, fine I will have them and will get them via email. However, I only have access to my smart meter readings via the online account - I’m disabled and can’t physically access my meters.

I only joined Ovo in January.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It sounds like your account was on the old legacy billing platform which has been switched off. You’re being moved to the new one and it’s possible your online services might be restored sooner than planned.

I’ve informed the forum moderators in case they can assist. But I would recommend setting up Priority Services Register if you haven’t already.

It sounds like your account was on the old legacy billing platform which has been switched off. You’re being moved to the new one and it’s possible your online services might be restored sooner than planned.

I’ve informed the forum moderators in case they can assist. But I would recommend setting up Priority Services Register if you haven’t already.

Ok thanks - that’s helpful to understand. I am already on the Priority Register.

I’ll be honest it seems pretty much unacceptable - mainly not to have notified me what was going to happen. I don’t expect to have to track down some internet forum to find out. The time frame also seems genuinely absurd.

Obviously this isn’t your fault. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The reason for the delay is because your account likely has something about it which made it hard to migrate automatically and it’s having to be done a different way to the 99% of accounts that were able to migrate over automatically. The rest, like yours, require manual action of some kind like adding a new feature to the new billing platform.

That’s why you can’t use online services right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Tried that but all routes are blocked until their new website is up and running ‘by end 2023’!

Even the phone number in the link provided? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unless you’ve got a giant mansion, new solutions like AltHAN and Dual-Band Comms Hubs should also make a gas meter upgrade possible.

Had OVO smart meter here 6 months ago - couldn’t install gas smart meter as it wouldn’t connect with electric smart meter which is only 11 meters away!! (Not a giant mansion!).

No-one will be able to use website to give meter readings until new website is up and running which may not be till December!

Finally gave them my gas meter reading this morning over my landline!  They were all closed down from Friday morning till this morning - chat line as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Had OVO smart meter here 6 months ago - couldn’t install gas smart meter as it wouldn’t connect with electric smart meter which is only 11 meters away!! (Not a giant mansion!).

No-one will be able to use website to give meter readings until new website is up and running which may not be till December!

Finally gave them my gas meter reading this morning over my landline!  They were all closed down from Friday morning till this morning - chat line as well.

You can also use the official ovo Twitter and Facebook pages at any time including weekends if you use either of them. 

Simply send them a direct message with your name, address, account number and date of birth to pass security , along with your updated readings 

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

Thanks - I suspect I’ll stick to phoning them as a recent Twitter/Facebook experience makes me cautious.

Two questions really.  Firstly can anyone explain why it will take until the end of 2023 for Ovo to have a website that can be used by its online customers.  In the meantime is there any alternative method to submitting a meter reading at the end of each month? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

I can answer both of those.

Firstly, it’s only around 1% of OVO’s entire customers who are affected at all. The other 99% are already on the new website, specifically the new billing platform. If you’ve not been migrated yet, there’s almost certainly a reason for it. Most likely something about the account requires manual action before it can be migrated, such as building a new feature in the new system.

OVO might get your account migrated sooner, but end of 2023 is to help manage expectations - that’s the current target deadline for all accounts to be moved over. If a faster move is possible, your access will be restored sooner.

In the meantime, you can use Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com . Tell the bot the keyword “Agent” when you get asked what the chat is about and say NO when asked if you’re a customer as the bot can’t verify you right now unless you’re on the new system. Once an agent answers, they’ll do the security questions manually and they’ll be able to help.

Thanks for the useful info. so will just wait until I am restored to my portal.  Just for your information I have never been able to contact Ovo through live chat which is always marked as unavailable.  The only time I have had a reply via email I was told I didn’t even have an OVO account so have no faith at all in this company.