EV owners: how do you choose an electric vehicle? Where do you look, what do you seek?

Show first post

34 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for sharing, @tesla_model_3 - is your review within that Tesla Owners Club document?

@Tim_OVO 

Tesla owners club is an online forum similar to this

That government market study about charging has lots of opinions from different people and organisations. I submitted an individual response in there taking some points from my review

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I wanted to gather some feedback from you, as you’ve made the plunge into the world of EVs when many haven’t. 

It’s a big decision, it’s complicated. It can be costly. Where do you find information about EV models, where do you shop for or browse particular models, and what guides your decision? 

With BEV cars you need to know is Mile per Kwh my one does 5 miles on kwh of electricity.

The rapid charge speed , the faster the less time at chargers.

Rain and cold weather cut your range mine does 5.5 miles kwh summer 4 miles kwh winter.

Some cars with small batteries have more range than cars with large batteries.

Don’t buy EV with large battery if 95% of your journey’s are local this can save you around £6k on price.

Userlevel 7

Some great advice in deciding on the size of battery that might be needed to fit your driving requirements, @k1ms.

Was this a big deciding factor when you chose the Ioniq?

And excuse what might be a very obvious question this one - can you get the same EV model with different sized batteries fitted?

Sure I’ve seen some Leaf owners here comparing battery sizes, am I right on that one @PeterR1947@ArundaleP@PurpleV8?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

There are definitely BEV vehicles with different battery sizes of the same mode available. 
Cost, weight (and efficiency) can depend on the battery size so it should be considered carefully before just going for the biggest capacity available. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

My first Leaf had a 40kWh battery, my current one is 62kWh and I got good deals on both through Carwow.com. 

The reason I changed to a bigger battery was to get greater range and although @k1ms said don’t go for a bigger battery if 95% of your journeys are local, I make regular trips to a daughter in Sheffield and also to Grandkids in Birmingham and Plymouth.

With the 62kWh I get to and fro Birmingham and Sheffield without a charge en route, the 40kWh required a charge on the Sheffield Journey.  To Plymouth the 62kWh needs a charge on the way, no problem as we always stop halfway for a break; the 40kWh required two charges and that was a pain!

I went for a Leaf second time round although others have better range (Kia) as the leaf is a very comfortable and functionable car and  I particularly like the e-pedal function which allows you to drive 90% of the time using only one pedal!

Badge

Think you need to consider all the things that need arranging before you even order an Ev,  In my case need to get unlooped from neighbour and have own power supply to upgrade to 100 amp main fuse , 60 at the moment  also and the biggest problem getting OVO to send out an engineer to upgrade meter tails from 16mm to 25mm , engineer so far has not showed up for 2 appointments and looking like Sept before its done if they show up. Good luck you will need it in my experience. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

You can use a granny charger at 2.2kwh at about 10 amps. When using wall charger you can set car to charge at 3.4 kwh about 16 amps. Both would get you around supply problem until Ovo change tails. If meter man from Ovo missed appointment you may be due £30. See Ofgen,s rules. look around other companies have EV deals like Octopus GO.

Badge

Wouldn't even consider using granny charger, SSEN have pencilled in unlooping for Aug,  but SMS can't send out an engineer till Sept so hopefully SSEN will be happy to go ahead with unlooping and leave 60 amp fuse in situ till SMS do the tails and come back and change fuse to 100 amp. Car due for delivery Aug/Sept so could possibly work out alright in the end. Just thought I would highlight some of the things that crop up when considering an Ev, not always straightforward process. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Colzee 

Thanks for sharing your experience with this so far! Please do continue to share how you get on with your EV journey, it’ll also be helpful for others on their own hunt for an EV set up to hear from experience.