Solved

£66 government energy bills support scheme deducted from my OVO account balance not added?

Show first post

655 replies

Userlevel 3

The same solution has been accepted by something like 20 other forum members today.

I also do have the ability to mark any thread as solved, but I can tell you now I didn’t use that power in this case.

If it has been accepted by other people that us fine. However I'm not a fool and a lower end balance means MY money has gone somewhere. There is not anotherine anywhere saying £66 has been put back on my account. There are no waiting credits on my bank account either. 

For example stating balance 500

Refund - 66

New Balance 434

Do feel free to explain it in more detail. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve explained it as best I can. But I think it’s fair to request a second opinion. @M.isterW @juliamc @Jeffus @nealmurphy @meldrewreborn could I borrow you?

Userlevel 3

I’ve explained it as best I can. But I think it’s fair to request a second opinion. @M.isterW @juliamc @Jeffus @nealmurphy @meldrewreborn could I borrow you?

Thank you. 

Reading some of the other comments it dies seem like I am not the only person saying this. 

Userlevel 1

Are you sure?

Check https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

You’re looking for this. Specifically the line entry Energy Bill Support Scheme

That -£66 actually means you got a bill credit for £66.

U are taking money from peoples account to which is in credit to put in our bank account which is ALREADY ours!!! So ur not giving us a refund. Sort it out properly 

That’s not the case at all. The £66 you paid in yourself is still in your account. The £66 that got refunded is, in fact, the £66 EBSS rebate.

I was minus £50 my direct debit is £135 which took me to £85 credit!! On Tuesday then it went up to £140 then this morning started at £70 and is now £66.90 I have used what used and standing charges I have spent £14. So please do explain where £67 has gone. It’s not on bank and not on my account. Even if it goes in my bank that is STILL MY MONEY not a refund im not refunding myself 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We’re all forum volunteers and trust me, we’ve worked like crazy over the last few months to figure out all the details. Whether it be my guide on how all the support scheme stuff is planned to work, tons of research that each of us did, or just absolutely smashing the forum to pieces all week… We’ve been on it!

But it’s worth noting that we don’t have access to internal systems and in fairness to OVO… Their teams did only have a few days to program it all in!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Are you sure?

Check https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

You’re looking for this. Specifically the line entry Energy Bill Support Scheme

That -£66 actually means you got a bill credit for £66.

U are taking money from peoples account to which is in credit to put in our bank account which is ALREADY ours!!! So ur not giving us a refund. Sort it out properly 

That’s not the case at all. The £66 you paid in yourself is still in your account. The £66 that got refunded is, in fact, the £66 EBSS rebate.

I was minus £50 my direct debit is £135 which took me to £85 credit!! On Tuesday then it went up to £140 then this morning started at £70 and is now £66.90 I have used what used and standing charges I have spent £14. So please do explain where £67 has gone. It’s not on bank and not on my account. Even if it goes in my bank that is STILL MY MONEY not a refund im not refunding myself 

Look, this is my final position on this one. That EBSS money was never yours to begin with. It was effectively gifted to you and you WILL get it back in your bank account if you can just be patient. I can’t wave a magic wand and speed up BACS payments!!! Blame the banking system for being a snail, not me!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can comment on my account. The £66 has been credited to mine.

This screen shows my balance reducing by the £87.65 charges and then going up by my direct debit.

That's on the app.

Userlevel 1

I am with @nordiclaura on this and have read other replies which make no sense. 

Our last bill ran to 3rd Oct, and I have a large Overpaid balance.

A separate entry for period Oct 4th and 5th now exists on the account and shows JUST 2 entries 

Balance. +£ XXX.00 Overpaid! 

Charges £6.35 Out. (for the 2 days)

Refund -£66.00 Out

Balance +£ ZZZ. 00

And my Balance is now £59.65 Less. 

That is my money!

Why are OVO "refunding it" ?

There are no other entries anywhere on my OVO account for £66.00.

And ironically they are sending me emails to increase my DD, totally ignoring my existing overpaid balance which they have just reduced.

£66.00 has not showed up in our Bank yet either, will watch over next few days.

Madness. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Then maybe try checking the previous billing period as well? It might be in there!

Userlevel 1

@Blastoise186  You are correct, on checking our charges in the month were netted down but £66.00. Thank you. 

I still don't get why the amount has been refunded. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Gordon Bennett - just wait !!! All will sort itself out !!! OVO is not ripping you off £66. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO would have happily left it in your OVO account, but the government decided the smart move was to instead put the money into your bank account. OVO’s only choice in the matter was how to put the money back into your bank account.

Userlevel 1

Gordon Bennett - just wait !!! All will sort itself out !!! OVO is not ripping you off £66. 

Helpful !!!! Not !!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s fine. We’ve just seen a LOT of people this week with the exact same question. :)

Userlevel 7

Hey @nordiclaura,

Thanks for your question.

When you see a minus on your account, this refers to a credit. I’d advise checking your previous billing period as this should show the money in. 

Are you able to log into your Online Account and send a screenshot similar to @Blastoise186

OVO would have happily left it in your OVO account, but the government decided the smart move was to instead put the money into your bank account. OVO’s only choice in the matter was how to put the money back into your bank account.

Please see my response on this similar thread:

The money will get added to your OVO account and this will then trigger a refund. Once your direct debit has been taken for the month the money will be added to your bank account within 3-5 days. This is how we were advised to process the payments.

Hope this helps. 

Money was taken from my account on 28th Sept, according to all articles published ovo have said it will be back in your account within 5 working days, I'm still waiting for mine.

I have seen a payment awaiting to be processed into my bank account, so perhaps if your in credit and you pay by DD, it may go back into your account? 
its a strange and confusing way to do it, and even more confusing why they don’t explain. 
hope it gets into your account soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Do you mean £66 was taken on 28th sept? That doesn’t sound right.   It should be applied on your October bill according to the gov.uk website.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Money was taken from my account on 28th Sept, according to all articles published ovo have said it will be back in your account within 5 working days, I'm still waiting for mine.

Your September payment is probably out-of-scope because the EBSS started on the 1st October. You’ll likely need to wait another month before EBSS delivery starts in your case. Government rules, not OVO rules so I’m afraid you can’t really complain to OVO about it either as it’ll likely be rejected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You beat me to it again blast!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The user mentioned on another thread that their DD was taken from the bank on the 28th September. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 28/06/23 by Abby_OVO

This scheme is now closed.

How you will be awarded the £67 depends on how you pay. If you’re seeing a deduction, it’s because you pay by Direct Debit and the grant payment went into your OVO account and is then deducted from the account and refunded to your bank account. 

For all information on this topic please see the website page Energy Bills Support Scheme or this previous response:

If you pay by direct debit and have seen the credit go to your OVO account, this payment will be transferred into your bank account. 

The payment will be made 3-5 working days after the direct debit has cleared. This will happen automatically and you don’t need to do anything. 

All customers who pay this way will receive their refund into their bank accounts within 3-5 days of their direct debit date. For example, if your direct debit is the 15th of the month, it’ll be 3-5 days after this. 

For anyone that pays on demand, their payment will be made directly to their OVO account. 

If you pay by Direct Debit

You’ll receive your discount as a refund. This means you’ll carry on paying your full Direct Debit amount. Once the Direct Debit payment has cleared, we’ll refund the monthly discount amount to your bank account shortly after. If you cancel your Direct Debit, or your payment fails, there may be a delay in applying the discount to your account.

You’ll get your discount every month, even if you don’t get monthly statements. You'll see confirmation of the discount on your next statement. 

If you pay when you get your bill

You’ll receive your monthly discount as a credit to your energy account in the first week of each month. You’ll see this on your monthly bills from October. 

We’ll add the discount to your energy account every month, even if you don’t get monthly bills. You'll see confirmation of the discount on your next bill. 

For example, if you receive your bills on the 15th of the month, we’ll add your discount in the 1st week of the month, starting in October, so you’ll see confirmation of this on your bill dated 15 October.

Hey @meccles !

Please check your Charges as well. I suspect you’ll see a line entry there that explains it, just like this example:

Yes, I’ve looked at the charges.

It details the £90 charge minus the £66 rebate.

But this doesn’t match up with how much the balance has been left with.

£335 +£150 (direct debit) =£485

£485 - £90 (total charges) = £395

£395 + £66 (rebate) = £461

But the balance is only £395. So it looks like they’ve applied the rebate (because it’s shown on the bill), but then deducted it again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The rebate was ultimately intended to go to your bank account. It just goes through your OVO account first for transparency reasons so that both you and OVO’s Support Team can see it’s been delivered.

If your balances don’t look right, it’s almost certainly not because of EBSS. I can’t see any problems here anyway - and a lot of people realised that they made a mistake when they did the numbers again, rather than OVO getting it wrong.

Ah ok, I understood it as it was just being deducted off the account.

So does that mean that the deduction from the account is because it’s been paid into my bank account?