Solved

£66 government energy bills support scheme deducted from my OVO account balance not added?

Show first post

655 replies

So confused and still can’t see an answer here. 

£463.34 my money credit 

£191.00 my money in direct debit

£16.06 charges not sure what for yet

£66.00 paid into BANK ACCOUNT

I should have £670.34 without the government £66 payment credit but now only have £604.34!!!!! And no Government payment. 

why have I been refunded my own money into my bank and not given the government £66 October payment? It makes no sense. 

I then go to credit back my bank account with my credit money so I have control as this has annoyed me and on the refund page on OVO accounts shows I can only transfer back maximum of £35 what is going on…, seriously.

hoping someone can shed some light here. I have never had an issues with OVO until I see my account and the many comments here. Trying to call is impossible 😤

Your balance

Updated 6h ago

Starting balance1 Oct £463.28in credit
Total charges £16.06in
Direct Debit10 Oct £191.00in
Refunds11 Oct £66.00out
Today's balance12 Oct £604.34in credit
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So confused and still can’t see an answer here. 

£463.34 my money credit 

£191.00 my money in direct debit

£16.06 charges not sure what for yet

£66.00 paid into BANK ACCOUNT

I should have £670.34 without the government £66 payment credit but now only have £604.34!!!!! And no Government payment. 

why have I been refunded my own money into my bank and not given the government £66 October payment? It makes no sense. 

I then go to credit back my bank account with my credit money so I have control as this has annoyed me and on the refund page on OVO accounts shows I can only transfer back maximum of £35 what is going on…, seriously.

hoping someone can shed some light here. I have never had an issues with OVO until I see my account and the many comments here. Trying to call is impossible 😤

Your balance

Updated 6h ago

Starting balance1 Oct £463.28in credit
Total charges £16.06in
Direct Debit10 Oct £191.00in
Refunds11 Oct £66.00out
Today's balance12 Oct £604.34in credit

Hi @Coello

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you. 

I am happy to explain if it would help.

A. STARTING BALANCE This is the balance from your last bill.

B. TOTAL CHARGES This is the £66 pound from the government MINUS the cost of the energy you have used since your last bill. This is where the £66 pound was credited to your account that you can't see on this particular page. So i can see you used £66-£16.06=£49.94 worth of energy at the time you created the screen shot since the last bill. Look at the Charges section. It will look a bit like this:

D. DIRECT DEBIT This is your regular direct debit

E. REFUNDS The is OVO taking the £66 from the government (see B) and putting that money in your bank account. You should see that money in your bank account now or in a few days time if it is not already there.

So basically the government put the £66 in at "B" and OVO took it out and put it in your bank account at "E"

Your separate question on refunds. Online you can only withdraw money if it leaves circa 3 times your direct debit as remaining credit. If you want to withdraw more than that you have to contact the OVO Support Team.

Feel free to keep asking questions if anything is not clear. The bills are a bit difficult to follow, quite a few people are struggling, you are not alone. I can see the money from the government has been added to your ovo account and then taken out to put in your bank account. 

Nothing there. My balance has decreased by £66. 

I also have the same question. My credit balance has decreased by £66 overall. Surely it should increase, and then for the money put in my account it should decrease, i.e net nil effect on my ovo credit. Please explain why there is not a corresponding credit on my account to offset the deduction! 

I’m still waiting for the £66. It says on the front page from the 1st October but I’ve not seen it in either my bank or the system. How is everyone else getting on? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Do you pay by direct debit ? If so the £66 gets paid in after the DD is received. Then it’s swept out again into your bank account (which will take up to 5 days to clear).

Do you pay by direct debit ? If so the £66 gets paid in after the DD is received. Then it’s swept out again into your bank account (which will take up to 5 days to clear).

Thanks Julia. I was wondering when it would show. My DD is due on 16th so I shall look out for it then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I also have the same question. My credit balance has decreased by £66 overall. Surely it should increase, and then for the money put in my account it should decrease, i.e net nil effect on my ovo credit. Please explain why there is not a corresponding credit on my account to offset the deduction! 

Hi @TarkaD if you post screen shots of your bill we can show you where the credit from the government is.

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you. The bills can be confusing, you are not alone in not seeing the credit. 

Happy to help if you like

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please check your CHARGES as well!

https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, you should have some money in the bank by the 21st October. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Please check your CHARGES as well!

https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

I think some of the confusion is that on the app the charges section isn't automatically visible unless you click on "See Details". So some people are just looking at the Charges and Payment summary looking at the info they are posting. Hence they never see the credit. 

I think the "in" "out" is also confusing some people, it confused me to start with 😀

Also the minus sign for the £66 on the Charges page is easily misinterpreted.

It might have been easier if OVO had put the credit and debit on the bill in exactly the same place next to each other rather than in separate sections? 

Userlevel 7
Badge

I think the "in" "out" is also confusing some people, it confused me to start with 😀

Also the minus sign for the £66 on the Charges page is easily misinterpreted.

It might have been easier if OVO had put the credit and debit on the bill in exactly the same place next to each other rather than in separate sections? 

I agree that it’s the presentation that’s causing the confusion. It would make sense to me if the ‘income and expenditure’ bit were shown first, above the balance sheet. Isn’t this normal practice? You show incomings and outgoings, then show the difference between them on the next page, after the opening balance and before the closing balance. It should also be possible and quite easy to use colour, so that bad bits (expenditure and debits) are shown in red and good bits (income and credits) in black. Or use columns both for outgoings and incomings and for debits and credits. Or both, to make absolutely certain there are no more misunderstandings.

I’d do a mock-up to demonstrate if I had time.

Hi @TarkaD if you post screen shots of your bill we can show you where the credit from the government is.

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you. The bills can be confusing, you are not alone in not seeing the credit. 

Happy to help if you like

Thank you. Here’s a screenshot. Previous month and balance carried forward. The charges for the current period are in line with usage and not been adjusted at all for the credit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You need to tap See Details on the latest period and then scroll down to see the Charges in detail section. Do you then see a line for Energy Bill Support Scheme?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This really could have been presented so much more clearly OVO !!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @TarkaD where you see the £66 there’s a microscopic minus sign next to it !!! so although it says ‘out’ it’s actually ‘minus out’ ie ‘in’. 

This really could have been presented so much more clearly OVO !!  

There’s an easy fix for that…

You need to tap See Details on the latest period and then scroll down to see the Charges in detail section. Do you then see a line for Energy Bill Support Scheme?

No, there is nothing, just the charges. Screenshot below

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Keep an eye on it for now, it might still be on the way.

Hi Everyone, 

I was a bit confused with the math here, I was wondered if anyone could kindly elaborate:

[During the period of 6-13 OCT]

My opening balance from the previous months: 43.85 (I owe OVO)

My 7 days usage: 24.79 (I owe OVO)

Energy Bill Support Scheme: 66.00  

Direct debit monthly payment (Fixed rate): 85.0 (I’m paying OVO)

My expectation is my balance should be (85 + 66) - (24.79 - 43.85) = 83.36

However My balance shows 16.36!

The “Charge”in the screenshot seems to be [66 - 24.79 = 41.21] which in that case the “Refund (66)” has already been considered in the equation once,

Then why would they add up them all up again together :  (85.00 + 41.21) - (66.00 + 43.85) = 16.36

The math just didn’t make sense to me, I thought perhaps you might have some other explanations here.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think you’ve messed up your own maths there. Your balance looks correct as-is to me.

Thanks for your reply,

Regarding that 66 as the energy bill support scheme, I thought that’ll be added as a credit to each account, I see above you add that up with the opening balance (the amount I owe OVO from previous months)…my point is, I paid 85 + government pays 66 (total 151) and I owe OVO 24.79 + 43.85 (total 68.64)… did I get something wrong about how they calculate that 66?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The £66 actually goes to your bank account so it should be disregarded. :)

Now that make sense, appreciate it.

My October account has the £66 energy rebate deducted from it but no where has £66 been credited.
The bill says “refund: -£66” and the total is only the amounts I paid in minus £66. 
I called and was told this is a credit, but it’s actually a debit. Anyone else checked?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @bram.murton ,

You’ll probably want to check the Charges in detail as well. https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

Here’s an example of what you’re after.

Thanks Julia. I was wondering when it would show. My DD is due on 16th so I shall look out for it then.

My account had £66 deducted. It says it’s a “refund” but they actually took the money out but didn’t put £66 in. The amount refunded was minus £66. I called ovo and they said it is a credit. But it’s not.