Solved

Why did I get a 'Sorry you're leaving' email when I don't want to switch from OVO?

• 13 February 2019
  • 8 replies

I've found out that I'm leaving OVO later this month as I've switched. I haven't - I've no idea who I'm supposed to have switched to. It was only because I was looking online for my statement that I noticed the 'Sorry you are leaving' message - how do I stop this happening, how do I prevent it happening again, how do I find out who I'm meant to be switching to, and will this effect my fixed rate status? Sorry lots of questions!
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 20 February 2019, 14:22

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Updated on 09/11/21 by Jess_OVO

Why have you let me know I’m leaving when I didn’t request to switch?

Sometimes we receive a request for us to switch your supply away from us in error. Whilst it’s quite rare there’s a few reasons this may have happened:

• Human error (we all make mistakes sometimes - it’s why pencils have rubbers) - someone may have entered your address details when applying for a genuine switch
  • Fraud - very occasionally fraudsters may use your details to apply for an energy switch (if the details held by the other supplier match your details it might be worth contacting your bank and checking your internet security procedures)
  • Mistake in your address listing on the national database - If way your address is listed is unclear or incorrect this can cause issues switching - check out this topic for more advice in getting this corrected.

How do I stop the switch taking place?

If you receive an unexpected leaving email, contact our Support Team to let us know you don’t want to go! They can put a stop to the impending switch and find out which supplier’s making the request. You’ll also need to make sure you let them know that you don’t want to switch to them as they may reattempt the switch.

What if the switch has already happened?

Not to worry! Even if the switch has already taken place, we can make sure it’s reversed. If you let our Support Team know, they can raise this as an ‘Erroneous Transfer’ (ET). This involves contacting the other supplier to let them know the switch shouldn’t have taken place. As this is a regulated process, they then have to return your supply to OVO and they can’t charge you anything.

How long does it take for an ‘Erroneous Transfer’ process to be completed?

As there’s a lot to be worked out in the background it takes up to 12 weeks from raising the ET until your account is fully back up and running. During this time your billing will be paused, however we’d advise you to continue paying your usual monthly Direct Debit This means you’ll build up a credit balance to cover the cost of your energy used as you will be issued an up-to-date statement from the date that your supply left us - it will be as if the transfer never took place.

It’s a complex (and thankfully rare) energy industry process, so let us know if you’ve got any more questions!

I’ve just received on a Friday night an email from Ovo saying I’m switching to another supplier. I have not requested a switch. How do I stop this, please?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Thanks for posting, @DWSNorfolk 

Have a look at the ‘best answer’ above your comment (I moved it to this topic) - I think this sounds like a classic ET - what do you think?

Thanks, Tim. Apparently So Energy are trying to take over the supply. I have no idea why. I‘ve never heard of them. I have just emailed them. If there’s anything else I should do please let me know. Thanks.  

Userlevel 7
Badge

Nice one @DWSNorfolk 

Did you have a read of the info at the top?

with an ET, that email should be enough for them to cancel the switch IF IT’S NOT TOO LATE, otherwise drop the Support team (link in my comment above) a message on Monday and we can block the switch.

Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That’s interesting. You’re not the first person here to comment that So Energy was trying to acquire their energy supply!

Let’s just clarify your position:

1: A Supplier can’t take over your supply without giving you a precise date for the switch.  If the first you’ve heard of this is from OVO, then So Energy haven’t complied with Ofgem regulations.

2: Any move to a different Supplier is governed by the Financial Services legislation. You have a minimum period of 14 days in which you can change your mind without penalty, even if you did authorise the move (which you didn’t!)

3: It is possible to raise an official complaint against an Energy Supplier, even if they are not your Supplier. See the Complaints Procedure for So Energy. If you follow that procedure and they don’t properly address the issue, then you can take them to the Office of the Energy Ombudsman.

Keep us informed of progress.

I have been informed of an ET by Ovo and months later it still drags on. The support team on your chat have repeatedly today advised me that I have to contact EDF and ask them to return my account to Ovo when it wasn’t my mistake in the first place. I’ve never asked for my account to be transferred away from Ovo and now my account is hundreds in credit and EDF are billing me separately.

Userlevel 7

Hi @conradwest1 and Welcome to the OVO online community,

I’m so sorry to hear about the ongoing Erroneous Transfer of your energy supply. As the guide above advises:

What if the switch has already happened?

Not to worry! Even if the switch has already taken place, we can make sure it’s reversed. If you let our Support Team know, they can raise this as an ‘Erroneous Transfer’ (ET). This involves contacting the other supplier to let them know the switch shouldn’t have taken place. As this is a regulated process, they then have to return your supply to OVO and they can’t charge you anything.

It sounds like you’ve already been in touch with the Support Team who have attempted to raise the ‘Erroneous Transfer’ to get your supply back with us. In order for this ‘ET’ process to be completed we have to receive an agreement from the other supplier that the switch was a mistake. If the other supplier rejects our ‘ET’ request, it might be worth getting in touch with them directly as if we re-apply for the ‘ET’ there’s no guarantee that the other supplier won’t reject this request again.

I’m hoping the Support Team have fully explained this process and are doing everything they can to get things straightened out. Once we’ve had an agreement from the other supplier, we’d then be able to continue the process to get your OVO account billing as usual:

How long does it take for an ‘Erroneous Transfer’ process to be completed?

As there’s a lot to be worked out in the background it takes up to 12 weeks from raising the ET until your account is fully back up and running. During this time your billing will be paused, however we’d advise you to continue paying your usual monthly Direct Debit This means you’ll build up a credit balance to cover the cost of your energy used as you will be issued an up-to-date statement from the date that your supply left us - it will be as if the transfer never took place.

I hope this information is helpful in getting things resolved - Do pop back if you’ve got any more questions about the ET process. Whilst we can’t access your account here we’re always on hand to give advice where we can. :slight_smile: