Solved

How do I update my gas meter serial number on the national database?

• 9 June 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I have just moved to a house where OVO provides the energy to and I have a problem.

I need to ask OVO to update the records in national gas meter database.

My gas meter serial number (MSN) is not added to the database.

Only the current gas provider can update it.

How can I have it sorted out and how long would it take?

Thank you,
Slav

icon

Best answer by Transparent 9 June 2019, 22:12

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Updated on 14/06/21 by Jess_OVO

Sorry to hear there’s some missing meter details on your new home’s listing on the national gas database. Whilst this shouldn’t affect your supply, it’s important to get this updated to make sure you’re charged correctly and can easily switch suppliers. Not to worry it can be easily updated, we’d just need to make a few checks first.

As you’ve just moved in, first you’ll need to set up an account with us (this can be just a temporary account if you’re looking to switch) - you can do this here or by contacting our Support Team.

Once you’ve got an account setup you’ll need to send us a photo of your meter showing the meter serial number (which is a long series of letters and numbers shown somewhere on the front of the meter)  -  we can check this against the information we have registered. If the meter serial number is different to the one we have registered we may also request a photo of the large yellow sticker placed somewhere close to your meter -  It gives information about when the meter was installed and the previous meter details so we can make sure we get the right information updated.

If we do need to update your details on the national database we can then make the request - it will take around 4 weeks for this to be completed. 

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Thank you very much for such comprehensive answer.

I will follow your instructions.

Regards
Slav
The name of our street, along with the postcode, was changed many years ago by the council. While our billing address on OVO statements is correct, the national meter database still shows the old address, which is at least 20 years out of date. I have asked OVO to update the database but had no reply. Perhaps they think it's fraud of some kind. The problem is that we are now unable to switch provider because the addresses do not match up.

I'm not sure how we managed to switch to OVO, but that was allowed for some reason. We also had smart meters installed last year and nobody raised this issue with us at that time. The new meters were obviously just installed with the old address.

What steps can I take to get the national database updated with the correct details?
Userlevel 6

Welcome to the forum, @gillt, I've moved your post here, check out @Transparent's best answer.

The change of address on the national database can take up to 4 weeks, if you've already asked the team to action this it may still be in the process of completing.

You can send us a message on Facebook, Twitter, webchat via the Help Centre, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063.

Thanks!

i recently moved into a flat and the previous tenant who was a vunerable person with a 1 year old child had problems with the pre payment meter that was already installed and had to call scottish power emergency number 105 as ovo customer services was closed when scottish power visited him they had to fit a dry meter (pay monthly meter) as the pre payment one was deemed dangerous but when i try to get a quote from ovo it says its still a pre payment meter i am wondering what to do about this situation *** edited by moderator ***

Userlevel 3

@shuggy81 you will need to contact your current supplier and potentially submit a photo of the newly installed meter. It's possible that Scottish Power engineers haven't passed over the new meter details so it will need to be updated on the national database before you can switch

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved your post here, @shuggy81, the above is your scenario in reverse, @SR3, you’re bang on, get in touch with your current supply so they can process the update! 

Cheers!