Moving into a home that OVO supplies - A Guide

• 24 September 2021
  • 36 replies
Moving into a home that OVO supplies - A Guide

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You need to set up an account with OVO (see the post above for details) then you can switch to whichever supplier you prefer.

I want to enter a fixed price plan but will be moving home in a few months.

I will have OVO in my new home but will I have to pay the exit fee as my fixed plan will be at my current home?

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Ovum , basically yes. When you move home, you take on the current supplier at the new property and then after a sort time, you can switch to whichever supplier you want but it would be a new supply

Darn! Thank you for that.

I went through my existing supplier’s “move house” process, but they’ve come back to me with a message along the lines of

“The previous supplier has objected … ... the previous supplier doesn't know about you yet. Your previous supplier probably thinks that you owe them for the energy used by the previous tenants. To resolve this, you'll need to contact them to open a temporary account for the property in your name.”

How do I do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @henryjlaw ,

Generally, you must sign up with the existing supplier when moving in before you’re allowed to switch away.

Try https://switch.ovoenergy.com for this. You may be best off doing a fix deal for now as that’ll be the fastest option if a variable rate deal isn’t offered.

Got it; thank you.  Makes sense, I suppose.

Had a look at this.  All I can find to do is set up a new contract, fixed for a year (or more); I don’t really want a contract at all, I just want to switch to a new supplier.  Am I heading off down the wrong track?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Had a look at this.  All I can find to do is set up a new contract, fixed for a year (or more); I don’t really want a contract at all, I just want to switch to a new supplier.  Am I heading off down the wrong track?

Does the Simpler Energy plan appear as an option?

I moved into a property supplied by OVO. I want to use a different provider, I spoke with someone on the chat function the day I moved in but now I have an email stating that OVO are objecting to my switch. I understand the previous owner of the property had debts, could this be why they won’t let me switch. And assuming, I’m not responsible for this.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @namico2410 ,

Whenever you move into a new property, you MUST sign up with the existing electric/gas supplier(s) before you can switch away - this is because otherwise the existing supplier will suspect that someone is trying to evade a debt.

You are not responsible for the debts of a previous customer, but you need to have your own account to take control of the supply. Only then will you be able to switch away without objections being raised provided you keep up to date with the bills in the meantime.

Are you sure you definitely signed up with OVO? If not, head over to https://switch.ovoenergy.com to set things up.