Solved

Do people still switch energy suppliers?

• 20 February 2023
  • 11 replies

Hi

Hoping people may be able to help.

Our energy bill has gone through the roof (yep I know I’m not alone here) and I really would like to find a cheaper supplier.

Never been with OVO before. Are they any good? And is it even worth switching? Prices look similar but I’m wonderig if OVO might be cheaper in the future?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 20 February 2023, 12:46

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 08/09/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

We now offer fixed rate tariffs, to switch head to our website

Welcome to the OVO Forum @Eskimoon !

I’m Blastoise186, one of the regulars who helps out here. I don’t work for OVO myself.

I’ve been with OVO for a couple of years now and it works great for me. Not every supplier is perfect for everyone, but ultimately you’re free to move whenever you want, so you could try OVO out and if it doesn’t work out for you, then that’s OK too. But if it does, feel free to stick around.

Fixed rate deals will come back eventually, but right now the prices are roughly the same pretty much everywhere. It’s your choice as to what card to play, but if you fancy trying OVO out then the link to use is https://switch.ovoenergy.com - this is just a bog standard one that gives me no kickback or commission if you use it.

Userlevel 4

I rate them . Been with other suppliers and find Ovo very good.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Eskimoon you could see if this ovo offer is still going

£50 credit

https://www.ovoenergy.com/home-energy-plans/welcome-reward?utm_campaign=welcome_reward_ppc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkKSQr-Wj_QIVjO3tCh0fYgdJEAAYAyAAEgLF7vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This offer runs from 26 January to 31 March 2023, and is limited to the first 15,000 customers.1 We’ll pay the credit in two £25 payments. We’ll pay you the first £25 when you join, and the second after you’ve been with us for three months. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Eskimoon there are lots of tariff around targeting Electric Vehicles, Solar Panels, Batteries, Heat Pumps etc. but little else

The Octopus Tracker tariff has been cheap for some time, but now has a 6 month waiting time because of that…

https://octopus.energy/smart/tracker/

Not without risk but wholesale gas and electricity prices have fallen dramatically hence why it is cheap. For my postcode

21.49p for electricity today

5.69p for gas today. 

Be nice to see OVO release a tracker tariff. 

It will probably take until 1st July for the standard variable rates to fall. 

Some suppliers might try launching a fixed rate before then. 

We should know the new variable rates for 1st April on the 27th Feb as it is always based on historical costs. Unfortunately costs may be up to 20% more overall as the Energy Price Guarantee is changing. 

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will check out those links too.

Funny that there’s a six-month waiting list for an energy supplier. When I say ‘funny’ I mean ‘sad’. Sign of the times.

Does anyone know if prices are expected to drop? For all suppliers I mean.

Are things going to get better or is this it for the foreseeable?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Funny that there’s a six-month waiting list for an energy supplier. When I say ‘funny’ I mean ‘sad’. Sign of the times.

An interesting question @Eskimoon 

Lots of variables but my own view is that there should be some options with better costs later in the year

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Currently i think the standard variable rates will fall from 1st July. 

We will see cheaper fixed rates coming back after 1st April. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

https://www.cornwall-insight.com/press/cornwall-insight-release-final-forecast-for-the-april-price-cap/

@Jacko6625 I have to be honest here we’ve been with Ovo for a few years and had one too many foul ups with them. I’ll certainly admit to eventually losing my rag and being banned from here under other accounts.

This company seems to have a hole in by the name of Appollo which it seems nobody knows how to use so I’ve been given the run around so many times and conflicting information in the same call to CS so many times.

I have no beef with the CS or the mods on here in genera and where I have lost patience and vented my frustrations I have apologised and meant it.  However I do have a major gripe with the management or lack of from this company.

To be clear we’ve  been given excessively high domestic consumption bills with no explanation ever coming forth

We’ve had meter reads disappear down a black hole never to be aseen again (Apollo???)

We’ve had meter reads ignored despite coming from smart meters

Complete inability to read from the SM despite having been upgraded to the latest generation just last year.

Letters and missives that have gone unanswered

The latest is despite having just had a statement I’ve now been asked to supply an upto date reading from our E SM?
I want to leave this company behind but can’t because as Uswitch say from their switching page:

“When energy prices increased suddenly in 2021, it meant that it was costing energy suppliers more to buy the energy to supply customers with than the amount they were bringing in, which led to some going out of business.

The ones that still operate withdrew almost all of their tariffs from the market, meaning that switching through comparison sites like Uswitch currently isn’t possible.”

Overall I am not impressed by this company and would definitely NOT recommend them as good supplier because they fail consistently in their prime objective.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your attempt to switch supplier consisted of going to uSwitch and nothing else? You clearly aren't that keen to change if you haven't bothered trying any other routes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jacko6625 I have to be honest here we’ve been with Ovo for a few years and had one too many foul ups with them. I’ll certainly admit to eventually losing my rag and being banned from here under other accounts.

This company seems to have a hole in by the name of Appollo which it seems nobody knows how to use so I’ve been given the run around so many times and conflicting information in the same call to CS so many times.

I have no beef with the CS or the mods on here in genera and where I have lost patience and vented my frustrations I have apologised and meant it.  However I do have a major gripe with the management or lack of from this company.

To be clear we’ve  been given excessively high domestic consumption bills with no explanation ever coming forth

We’ve had meter reads disappear down a black hole never to be aseen again (Apollo???)

We’ve had meter reads ignored despite coming from smart meters

Complete inability to read from the SM despite having been upgraded to the latest generation just last year.

Letters and missives that have gone unanswered

The latest is despite having just had a statement I’ve now been asked to supply an upto date reading from our E SM?
I want to leave this company behind but can’t because as Uswitch say from their switching page:

“When energy prices increased suddenly in 2021, it meant that it was costing energy suppliers more to buy the energy to supply customers with than the amount they were bringing in, which led to some going out of business.

The ones that still operate withdrew almost all of their tariffs from the market, meaning that switching through comparison sites like Uswitch currently isn’t possible.”

Overall I am not impressed by this company and would definitely NOT recommend them as good supplier because they fail consistently in their prime objective.

Hi  

Plenty of energy suppliers let you switch. But you have to go directly to their website 

For example octopus

https://octopus.energy/quote/#/

No supplier is perfect. 4.8 out of 5 on Trustpilot it pretty good

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/octopus.energy

Let us know who you switch to and how it goes as it may help other users who visit this forum.

Good luck whatever you decide.