What is an ET or Erroneous Transfer?

Userlevel 5
Badge

An ‘erroneous transfer’ (or ET) refers to when a property has been switched by mistake.

This can happen for the following reasons:
- There’s a mistake on the national gas/electricity database (either with your address or meter details)
- There’s been a human or systems error when switching
- You details have been used fraudulently to switch
As an energy customer, you’re protected if this happens and retain the right to be with your preferred supplier. More info here.

How would I spot this?
- You might receive an email or letter from your current supplier saying “Sorry to hear you’re leaving”, but you don’t want to leave
- You receive your welcome letter from a new supplier and notice your address/details are wrong
- You receive a final bill

How can it be resolved?
- Either one of the suppliers can get in touch with the other to advise of the ET
- We will confirm some information so we can make sure we’re taking the right steps
- You’ll be transferred back to the right supplier, which can take around 12 weeks
- Your Direct Debit with your correct supplier will continue
- The correct supplier will bill you for the ET period once the process is complete

Hopefully this won't happen, but if it does, we hope this helps explain what it is and how we can help. Feel free to post any questions below...

4 replies

Yesterday I received two emails from Ovo about requesting a switch and they're sorry I'm leaving. When I logon to the website there is also a Sorry You're Leaving box at the top of the page.

The problem is that I've not requested a switch and do not want one. The phone lines are not open at weekend, I can't see an online chat option, I've replied to both emails saying that I haven't requested a switch.

Is there anything I can do, or just wait until Monday when I can call?

Curious as to how this can happen?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
This sounds like an erroneous transfer (or ET) @colheath

I've moved your query over to an existing topic all about ETs - just check out the info in Nancy's post above.

I can make sure the switch away is stopped - just send me a PM confirming your full name, full address and DoB.

Thanks,
Emily
Thank you @Emily_OVO I spoke to a very helpful lady at ovo yesterday who has got me sorted now. It was a neighbour who has signed up to EDF and entered their house number incorrectly.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Glad to hear it's being resolved, @colheath!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings