Solved

Will my SSE Elster (Honeywell) AS300P smart meter work with OVO remotely? Will it still work with my In Home Display (IHD)?

• 16 October 2020
  • 10 replies

Hi - I’ve just initiated my switch from SSE to Ovo 2-year fixed and I have a couple of questions as follows - 

1 - My SSE smart meter was installed several years ago so it remains to be seen whether it will work with the Ovo systems but, since Ovo and SSE are part of the same group of companies, I’m hoping it will be fine.  If the meter is unable to communicate with Ovo, will it still be able to communicate with the in-home display unit?  My meter is not very easy to access and so, if I have to give manual readings, it would be a lot easier to get them from the display unit rather than fighting my way through to the meter itself.  If my existing smart meter is incompatible, how soon will I be able to get a replacement meter installed?

2 - Ovo appears to create monthly bills based on actual usage, but it doesn’t appear to offer the option to pay a variable monthly direct debit based on the actual bill - it seems that a fixed monthly plan is the only acceptable payment amount.  Is it possible to find a way of paying the actual amount of each monthly bill so that the account is never in credit or debit?

3 - If the interest payment of 3% on credit balances comes without any strings attached, then is there any reason why I shouldn’t credit my account upfront with a whole year’s estimated energy costs?  3% is a lot better rate of interest than any savings account!

Thanks for reading, KA

icon

Best answer by Transparent 17 October 2020, 12:50

Thanks @kamk1949. The Elster (Honeywell) AS300P is a SMETS1 meters which was scheduled to be migrated into DCC’s network in the Initial Operating Capability, starting 19th Nov 2019.

There’s a strong possibility that your meter is already on the National Smart Meter Network and can be accessed by any UK Energy Supplier. Once you have your OVO Account number your Online Account will start becoming live. Have a look at the Usage section and see whether there are daily statistics arriving.

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @kamk1949 and thanks for posting!

Quick question before someone else dives in with some info: can we have a picture of your electricity meter, or a name of make and model?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @kamk1949 and welcome to the Forum.

If your meter was installed “several years ago” then it’s most likely to be SMETS1. The newer SMETS2 meters started being installed by most Energy Suppliers in Spring 2019.

And if yours is a SMETS1, then here’s a list of compatible suppliers. SSE is not amongst them.

Having said that, all SMETS1 meters are being upgraded to SMETS2 functionality by the manufacturers. They will then be moved across to the National Smart Meter Network by whoever is the current Supplier.

The UK is in the Middle Operating Capability phase of that migration, and the majority of meters will  have been migrated by Summer 2021. Any meters on the National Network can be accessed by all Energy Suppliers.

Hi @kamk1949 and thanks for posting!  can we have a picture of your electricity meter, or a name of make and model?

Hi Tim - thanks for your reply.  Here is a picture of my meter ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @kamk1949. The Elster (Honeywell) AS300P is a SMETS1 meters which was scheduled to be migrated into DCC’s network in the Initial Operating Capability, starting 19th Nov 2019.

There’s a strong possibility that your meter is already on the National Smart Meter Network and can be accessed by any UK Energy Supplier. Once you have your OVO Account number your Online Account will start becoming live. Have a look at the Usage section and see whether there are daily statistics arriving.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Turning to the 3rd point in your initial question, @kamk1949 - the maximum amount in your OVO Account for which they are permitted to pay you interest at 3% is £1000. That’s a legal issue because they’re not registered as a bank!

There is no reason why you shouldn’t put £1000 into the account and continue to pay the monthly DD which is requested. You will effectively lower your bills by £30 per year.

Lots of credit customers do this, and the interest amount rises in each of the next two successive years when you remain with OVO. In year-3, you’ll be getting 5%. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the information @Transparent - I guess that, by starting at this time of the year, my monthly direct debit will not lead to an accumulation of credit on the account so there is no disadvantage to paying by a fixed payment plan.  With SSE, I’ve been paying by variable direct debit on receipt of quarterly bill without any penalty for not having a payment plan.  For me, a payment plan seems like an added complication rather than a simplification but I guess that’s just the way I am!  I’m not really saving a huge amount of money by switching to OVO but the £30 interest will definitely add to the saving.  I usually just find the cheapest 2-year fix and then stick with it until it ends.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, I suggest you take a Fixed 1yr or 2yr contract and pay by monthly Direct Debit. The vast majority of OVO customers (except those with pre-payment meters) work in this way.

The new Billing System generates a monthly Statement on the 1st of each month, regardless of the day when was your contract start-date. This matches the way in which the software handles your Smart Meter data.

If you move up to £1000 into your account in the first place, you’ll receive emails from month-2 suggesting that you reduce the amount of your DD. I ignore them because I want the interest.

The way in which we pay for energy is changing in line with a long-term Government strategy called Demand Side Response. This is taking us towards an option for a Time Of Use tariff, whereby the price per kWh varies in half-hour slots across the day.

At that point, the concept of 12-month contracts and comparison sites will start to fall away. Customers will make choices based on price and their attitude to Climate Change and renewable energy.

If you want to explore these ideas further, you will find them referred to on lots of Topics here on the Forum, and in particular this one on Time of Use Tariffs.

I have an SSE smart meter, will it still be able to be used once my switch over to OVO is completed? 

Considering I switched to Ovo for the renewable energy, I wouldn't want my current smart meter to just be binned. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Polly_SuperNova - great choice of Forum ID!

No Smart Meter will get “binned”. The earlier SMETS1 types are currently receiving software upgrades and being moved across to the National Smart Meter Network. Any meter on that network can be accessed universally across all Energy Suppliers.

So let’s take this one step at a time:

1: Do you know if your SSE meter is SMETS1 or SMETS2?

2: Roughly when was it installed (nearest month will do).

3: Can you give us the manufacturer and model number of the electricity meter? (Typically this might be “Landis & Gyr, E470”, for example).

If you know how to do so, take a photo of the meter (not the In Home Display) and post it here.

That background info will give us a good starting point to work out what is and isn’t compatible.

Userlevel 7

I’ve popped your question over to this thread, @Polly_SuperNova - have a look at the above and let us know when you can. :blush: