Solved

Why is the tariff rate on my smart meter and Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) wrong?

Show first post

121 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It could also be useful to check what tariff is displayed on the actual meter, if that is incorrect then the data hasn’t been downloaded so the IHD will remain incorrect until it does.  If the tariff on the meter is correct, well, that’s another story!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s a good point @PeterR1947 , but unfortunately it’s not always available.

While I know you can do that with button 6 on a Secure meter, you can’t do this with Aclara. I’ve previously mapped out the entire menu on my Aclara SGM1311 and the closest thing I was able to find was Meter Balance. Strange reading to have when a meter is in Credit Mode, but it’s there.

But I also begin to wonder what meter is installed in this case. There might be clues which can be gained from knowing that sort of thing.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Norman - heads up that I’ve moved your thread over to this other one on IHD prices: I think the 5% VAT is another possible thing to check: are your IHD prices 5% out?

If not, have a look at this great advice from @Blastoise186 and @PeterR1947 - keen to hear from you on your actual renewal date! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Blastoise186 

• Locate the reading menu by pressing button B until you see ‘Total…’ or ‘TOU...’ displayed.
  • This means that you’re in the ‘Reads’ menu. Now press button A to scroll through the ‘Reads’ menu. You’ll see options called ‘Total Active Import kWh’, ‘Total Active Export kWh’ and ‘TOU Rate 1’.
  • The meter reading that’s used for your billing is TOU Rate 1 for single-rate tariffs, and both TOU Rate 1 and TOU Rate 2 for two-rate tariffs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hehehe, actually Peter, it’s much simpler than that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Aclara meters just so happen to auto-scroll through the Reads menu when in sleep mode, so you don’t even have to touch them at all if you want to check all the readings at once - unless you want to activate the backlight. Pretty useful feature in a way.

And even then, it’s a simple case of mashing the A button to step through all the readings. The B button on Aclara meters is only really for the technical menus if the meter is in Credit Mode, but might serve more useful purposes in Prepayment Mode.

As far I’m aware however, most IHDs don’t tend to show costs with VAT factored in, probably because it’d be a nightmare to reconfigure if the VAT Rate ever got changed and also allows for cases where a different VAT Rate is used for a particular account (or even zero VAT!). If you wanted to know the full cost of your energy with VAT and everything else included, looking at your bills or MyOVO is the most reliable option. :)

In answer to earlier question asked, my new plan started 31/3 (I renewed back in Feb when old plan nearing  the end). Been with OVO for years (so prob overdue to do comparison and move when current plan ends in 12 months as seems OVO either don't care or lack ability to sort what should be trivial issue). As prev stated the IHD should show rates for electricity of 22.89 & 16.74 (both including 5% vat) but doesn't and still (as of today 13/4) shows old rates of 28.77 & 15.87. I don't have 'smart' gas meter and based on experience won't be bothering any time soon. Don't know what rates the smart meter has and I'm not going to start fiddling with it to see. As previously stated I find this an annoyance more than anything. I check my bills every month so as long as they are right and usage compares with previous years I'll live with it).

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Norman ,

Thanks for getting back to us and I’m really sorry for the trouble here.

This forum is mainly volunteer led and the volunteers who help out here don’t have access to your account and we can’t make changes to your account directly. But we can help out with quite a lot of things and give a lot of advice than can help solve puzzles. You won’t find many other suppliers with a community forum like this one, which is one of the reasons why it’s open to everyone.

This should be an easy fix however. If you let the Support Team know about this thread, they should know what’s been said here so far. I suspect it could just be a simple case of them sending a few SMETS Commands to your meter that will update the tariff details. Chances are it will refresh with the correct rates eventually though.

As for the gas meter, it’s worth noting that your existing traditional gas meter will be up for recertification eventually (nearly all meters only usually last 10 years or so) and would have to be replaced with a smart meter eventually. While it is true that you can request not to have smart meters, suppliers can override such requests when the existing meters reach the end of the service life and need to be replaced anyway.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for confirming those extra details, @Norman - I appreciate these wrong prices showing on the IHD is far from ideal and should be something OVO staff put right.

There’s been some great advice from Peter about checking that smart meter for the plan rates, and Blastoise hits the nail on the head here:

This forum is mainly volunteer led and the volunteers who help out here don’t have access to your account and we can’t make changes to your account directly. But we can help out with quite a lot of things and give a lot of advice than can help solve puzzles. You won’t find many other suppliers with a community forum like this one, which is one of the reasons why it’s open to everyone.

This should be an easy fix however. If you let the Support Team know about this thread, they should know what’s been said here so far. I suspect it could just be a simple case of them sending a few SMETS Commands to your meter that will update the tariff details. Chances are it will refresh with the correct rates eventually though.

I know you’ve already reached out to our Support team, who suggested that these rates would update in a number of days. As the renewal happened relatively recently, I can understand this thinking. However, our Web chat team are on hand to jump into action if you wanted to take the Blastoise route and request a ‘SMETS Commands’. 

As Blastiose also called out, the prices on the IHD won’t effect your actual charges. These are visible via your online account and if you got a smart gas meter fitted as well, you’ll have access to great online usage features! See your prices here:

Appearance may differ slightly 

Badge +1

I have a Chameleon IHD-6 which came with the smarts meters when we were with another supplier (Bulb).

The display works and shows the current usage but the tariff is the old bulb one and not showing the correct pricing for OVO.

How do you re-pair the IHD to OVO to get the correct tariff information?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @pauls999 !

Firstly, welcome to OVO! And also welcome to the forum. :)

You actually don’t need to unpair and re-pair the IHD at all in this case. All that needs to happen is for OVO to download the correct config onto your meters and IHD - the tariff data will then update automatically. :)

If you let the Support Team know on Monday, they’ll take care of the config change. Simply pairing an IHD again will merely pull down old data. The IHD is after all, paired to the meter and not the supplier.

The other thing to note is that if you’ve only recently switched, there may not yet have been enough time to get control of your meter passed from Bulb to OVO, which will prevent the tariff data from being updated yet. However, you can make a request now and it will be actioned once it’s possible (should happen automatically in most cases).

Userlevel 7

Hi @pauls999,

Welcome to OVO and to our online community. Glad to see that our resident expert @Blastoise186  has already given some great advice on why your unit rates may not have updated on your IHD yet - 

You actually don’t need to unpair and re-pair the IHD at all in this case. All that needs to happen is for OVO to download the correct config onto your meters and IHD - the tariff data will then update automatically. :)

If you let the Support Team know on Monday, they’ll take care of the config change. Simply pairing an IHD again will merely pull down old data. The IHD is after all, paired to the meter and not the supplier.

We’ve also moved your question to a similar topic, so check the advice above for more information. As you’ve just switched over it may be that we are still in the process of getting the tariff details updated for you but this won’t affect the unit rates you will actually be charged, if its been over 6 weeks from the switch or you’ve already received your opening statement I would reach out to the Support Team to get this sorted now. 

Let us know if you’ve got any more questions about your new OVO account, we’re always happy to help! :blush:

Update to my issue posted over 3 months ago regarding my IHD displaying wrong tariff and standing charge - now 12 July and still waiting for issue to be sorted. It's a joke saying reach out to customer services as it's a simple fix because the response i got from Megan on 27th May was that due to backlog there was a 47 working day wait! (Probably 6 months now!). Check on Trustpilot shows i am not alone in experience of appalling customer service.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Norman ,

Actually, this sounds more like either your Smart Meter and/or IHD didn’t process the SMETS Command properly. You may want to ask OVO to run the commands again just in case there was an issue on previous attempts.

Trustpilot is only one metric and shouldn’t be solely relied on as the be all and end all. It can indeed be used to help with research, but you should always cross reference it with other sources. In actual fact, I happen to know that this forum is rarely featured on there and if it was, then the scores would almost certain be a lot higher. I also know that just about every energy company in the UK will never hold a five star rating on Trustpilot for very long - they will all inevitably drop down eventually. Some faster than others - the average across all energy suppliers is more like 2.1 stars after all.

In this case, please ask for the SMETS Commands to be executed against your Smart Meters, NOT the IHD. IHDs get the tariff data from the Smart Meters they are paired with, so updating the details needs to happen on the meters themselves and the IHD will then pick up the changes next time it checks in. It’s possible that you’ve just been asking for the update to happen in the wrong part of your HAN.

I’ve also double checked the resources I have. The SMETS Command that needs to be used is Send Tariff Configuration which should take care of the process. It can be run by almost anyone in the Support Team without needing an escalation. If that doesn’t work however, an escalation can be raised to investigate the issue further. I’ve currently got one active for my own meter and a potential root cause has already been identified - the S2 Team are working on fixing it for me. I’ve let them know that it might be a more widespread issue and asked for the fix to be considered for a wider rollout if it works in my case.

Hopefully that will help you out as well, but it’s important to raise a request yourself so that it can be logged and the teams made aware of who’s being affected. I only have the ability to instruct OVO to do things on my own account, so I can’t touch anyone else’s.

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re still waiting on this IHD update, @Norman, I totally appreciate that this is a long time to wait to see the correct prices applied to the device and means that currently your device won’t be showing you accurate daily usage costs.

As this is now outside of the time-frame which we’d aim to have this corrected, we’d encourage you to re-contact the Support Team. The easiest way to do this would be via webchat (find a link to this here). If you mention that you’re unhappy that you’ve yet to see an update in the promised time frame they can make sure this is investigated as a priority - there’s more information on our Complaints procedure here.

In the meantime it’s worth checking out the ‘Usage’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) - this will also show your daily usage data both in kWh and £. Let us know if there’s any issues accessing the info you need here as we’ll always do our best to offer advice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks @Jess_OVO !

I do have some good news at least. The fix that the S2 Team has attempted on my meter has worked perfectly and the tariff data has been updated across my entire HAN. Both Raichu and the Kecleon Brothers now have new tariff data. It’s not quite right because it seems that someone might have accidentally sent the wrong rates, but at least the new config is much closer to my actual tariff than it was before. I’ve let the team know and asked for the tariff config to be updated again.

To be fair, even if it’s not quite the right data, it does at least confirm that the commands are now working again for me. I’m told it can take 24 hours, but sometimes you might get lucky and it might go through much faster.

Thank you, comments noted. One point I will finish on is I am the customer NOT technical support so the comment 'It’s possible that you’ve just been asking for the update to happen in the wrong part of your HAN' is not relevant. I have explained the issue to OVO support on several occasions and sent photos and as for how to resolve the issue that is down to the company not me as the customer/consumer. I have replies from Nathan/Meghan among others saying they have passed to smart meter team etc to look into the matter still nothing. Clearly showing no one has taken ownership and suggesting there is a technical/procedural issue and that whatever customer service metrics company measures staff against it is probably volume dealt with rather than issues resolved. I see no point in contacting the support team again as suggested by Jess as experience shows no one is able or interested in resolving matter and I have better things to do with my time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I understand, sorry for the trouble. This isn’t anywhere near the level of service I’ve been getting myself, but I’m not out of options. I’m only a forum volunteer so I’m independent of OVO, but that doesn’t mean I don’t know a whole range of solutions.

I can try to ask @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO to step in as they might be able to chase this up on your behalf. In my case, the root cause was a double tab issue in one of the systems which was caused by me previously having an S1 Smart Meter which was replaced with an S2 Smart Meter a few months ago. The S2 Team were able to remove that double tab issue this morning by forcing the system to forget about the old meter and that unblocked the system so that the commands could be attempted again. This is what resolved it for me.

Tim and Jess don’t generally intervene in the first instance, but I can ask for their help in this case as they might be able to see if they can do anything. Bear with me and I’ll see if they’re around.

Userlevel 2

It has now been about 10 weeks since smart meter installed. I know the meter is communicating and I’m getting daily updates in the app. The IHD is connected to the meter and has good signal but the meter is still showing the wrong tariff and the IHD is still showing waiting for data, account info etc. Surely OVO sends the relevant info to the meter and the meter sends it to the IHD or maybe I’m wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @WB01 !

It sounds like there’s two possible issues here. The first one being that you’re trying to check some of the details on the IHD too soon after powering up - it can take up to five minutes for it to download everything when it first connects and after a restart.

The other issue is pretty easy to fix - it sounds like the Support Team simply need to send the tariff configs to your meters which doesn’t actually take very long. If you get on the Live Chat or Phone to the Support Team, please ask them to run the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration with the correct rates for your tariff. This should fix the rates in the blink of an eye. But OVO prefers that I also mention it can take up to 24 hours for the command to go through. Once it’s downloaded to the meters, your IHD should pick it up automatically from there.

Good luck! :blush:

Userlevel 2

Thanks for reply. The IHD is on all the time apart from once a week or so when I turn it off for a couple of minutes to see if anything changes. I’ve been on to customer service and they are gonna do a software update so maybe that will fix it.

Userlevel 7

Nice one for flagging this, @WB01 - as Blastoise mentioned and as you’ve already arranged, the Support Team may need to take some actions to get your smart meter and IHD tariff aligned with your online account.

I’ve moved your comment onto a similar thread, and I’ve copied the ‘best answer' below which has other possible things to look out for with your new smart meter: 

Good spot on the mis-match between your unit rates on your online account and Chameleon In Home Display (IHD).

It’s worth checking whether the discrepancy is just due to the VAT. Your online account will usually show your unit prices excluding VAT whereas your IHD may show the same prices including VAT - if the difference between prices is 5% this will explain things.

If the price difference isn’t down to the VAT (ie. its more or less than 5% difference) the tariff information on your device will need to be updated. In this case reach out to our 

Support Team to get that corrected. It is worth bearing in mind the following: -

Usage costs on your IHD may not 100% match your daily charges

If the unit rates loaded on to your device are not accurate the daily costs shown here will not match what you are actually charged. For this reason we’d always advise the actual usage charges on the ‘Billing’ page of your online account.

No increase in costs due to a smart meter

Having a smart meter installed won't directly increase your costs. There are no hidden effects on usage, and your tariff won't change. 

Your meter will be accurate

The meter will clock accurately. Old meters (this does depend on how old your previous meter was) can slow down, or even speed up meaning they're not measuring your energy usage correctly. We'd only expect to see this with very old meters. A brand new meter, smart or otherwise, will clock what you're using accurately.

The calculation of Gas costs just uses the unit rate, while the Electricity cost calc appears to use the unit rate with the daily standing charge being added to the result.

Why is the standing charge added on to the Electricity cost? And why is there inconsistency?

My view is that both fuels should use just the unit rates for the IHD calculations so that only the CONTROLLABLE costs are shown.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear your IHD usage costs don’t seem to be consistent in adding your daily standing charges, @boxticker.

As far as I’m aware both fuels should see the daily standing charge cost applied around midnight each day, so I’m wondering if there might be a dip in connection or another technical bug which might explain this. Any ideas, @Blastoise186?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… My first thought would be that as we don’t know what meter/IHD combo we're looking at, it’s hard for me to diagnose this. Could you post photos please?

Standard behaviour is for the IHD to show the combined usage and standing charges for the period so you get an idea of the total cost. This can’t usually be changed either.

My second thought? Perhaps a few well placed SMETS Commands might fix this?

Hello, @Blastoise186   Just for the record, I have an IHD6 display, an Aclara electricity meter with blue and orange buttons on the right, and a Uniflo gas meter with 3 red buttons marked A, B and C.

I feel strongly that I would prefer the gas cost on the IHD to remain exclusive of standing charges, as indicated in my initial posting. I would prefer the electricity costs to be on a similar basis, but I don’t want to make a big play of that.

I have not added photos as the gas meter is in a fairly inaccessible spot for snapping.