Tutorial

SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100/110 smart meter guide for WAN, HAN, lights and buttons: DIY tutorial series

• 14 September 2020
  • 54 replies
SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100/110 smart meter guide for WAN, HAN, lights and buttons: DIY tutorial series

Show first post

54 replies

Userlevel 7

Thanks for catching this one, @Zalek - we’ve updated the guide to make this clearer to others in future.

It’s also worth mentioning here that this meter does have a back-up battery which can support the meter when it loses mains power, allowing checks to be carried out on the meter to work out what’s caused the loss in power.

It’s all been quite a mess. Turns out the account we set up in August as DD has been cancelled (apparently something went wrong with “the system”) and it reverted back to how it was originally, which is Pay as you go. We had no idea until coming back home to find no power and no gas. All sorted now.

Sorry to hear this, @Zalek - sounds like a really frustrating (but thankfully rare) thing to happen. Glad the team have managed to get things sorted now. Have you been able to login to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) to check your usage data is being received yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Erm…. I’m not sure if I’m missing something here. I don’t think we’ve quite answered the question.

Here’s an internal diagram of a SMETS1 Electricity Smart Meter Equipment (ESME):

If the ESME is configured for pay-monthly, then the contactor stays closed.

If the Billing System software believes that the ESME is on a PAYG tariff, then it checks to see if there is credit on the account. If not, then the contactor opens.

The metrology light flashes according to the power being drawn by the house. So if the contactor is open then it doesn’t flash. There is no current passing through the sensor, even ‘though the electronics is still powered.

If there is power arriving from the Grid then

• the LCD screen should still be live
  • OVO still receives data from the Comms Hub
  • the IHD might still receive data if its battery is charged
  • there is information available on the OVO App

So there should be clear distinction between

a: a PAYG/Boost account with no credit

b: a loss of incoming power from the Grid

The metrology light is not a satisfactory indicator to check because it won’t be flashing in either case.

So if an ordinary customer like @Zalek isn’t able to tell the status of his electricity supply without summoning the DNO engineer to site, then “we’ve” got a problem. It should abundantly clear to an end-user what the problem is by reading the LCD display.

As I’ve never had a SMETS1 meter, and never seen the LCD on a meter running on a PAYG tariff, I’m only able to describe the theory behind my argument. So please bear with me whilst I ask for this point to be clarified.

Userlevel 7

The metrology light is not a satisfactory indicator to check because it won’t be flashing in either case.

So if an ordinary customer​ isn’t able to tell the status of his electricity supply without summoning the DNO engineer to site, then “we’ve” got a problem. It should abundantly clear to an end-user what the problem is by reading the LCD display.

Yep - you’re right, @Transparent, which is why I’ve already amended the guide above:

Updated on 08/09/21 by Jess_OVO

What to check if you’re off-supply

If you’ve lost supply and it’s not a power cut (check this by dialing 105) it could indicate a fault with your meter or the DNO equipment before your meter.

If the metrology light is off it’s worth checking that your meter is in credit mode - press any key on the meter to wake up the screen. It should then auto-scroll through various screens. The first display shown will be the meter mode either ‘CREDIT’ or ‘PAYG’, if your meter is incorrectly showing PAYG contact our Support Team. If the meter is in CREDIT mode contact your DNO to check the supply to the meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Great. Thanks @Jess_OVO I’m happy with that.

… please forgive me for pursuing this. Í’m still trying to view the situation from where the customer stands.

The SMETS1 meter itself knows its true status. In this case there are four possibilities:

1: Grid OK and Contactor closed. So if there’s no power in the house then it’s something inboard of the meter, such as the main trip in the consumer-unit.

2: Grid OK and Contactor open. Most likely to be a PAYG account configuration with no credit. (Rarely it could be a faulty meter, which we’ll ignore for now).

3: Grid down and Contactor closed. No power whether the account is PAYG or Pay-monthly.

4: Grid down and Contactor open. Customer needs to know because otherwise the grid will be brought back up and they’ll still be in the dark about this(!)

So why isn’t the meter status being shown to the customer via a message being sent to:

a: the meter’s LCD screen (using the backup battery of the internal power supply)

b: the IHD, which has an available messaging system whilst its battery holds up for a couple of hours at least

c: the OVO App, which is capable of sending an Alert Notification

d: the customer’s online account page, which could additionally have a preference-setting to send an email under these circumstances.

Isn’t there a much bigger problem than there needs to be because the Billing System software isn’t using the available messaging systems?